Willie to Milwaukee rumor

WHarris1

http://milwaukee.brewers.mlb.com/NASApp/ml...t=.jsp&c_id=mil

PHOENIX -- It's the first week of March, and already Brewers general manager Doug Melvin is fielding trade rumors.

A radio reporter in Chicago notorious for running with non-deals (see: the buildup to the Richie Sexson trade) reported on Thursday that the Brewers and White Sox were discussing a Willie Harris-for-Wes Helms swap. It seemed to make sense; Harris, a second baseman and center fielder, is unhappy with his spot on the Sox's bench, and the Brewers' are stocked with third basemen.

One problem: Melvin hasn't spoken with Chicago GM Kenny Williams in months.

"Since the [Carlos] Lee trade at the Winter Meetings," Melvin said, referring to the Dec. 13 deal in which the Brewers netted Lee for center fielder Scott Podsednik and reliever Luis Vizcaino.

"I don't know where this stuff comes from, sometimes," Melvin said. "I know Harris may be unhappy they brought in the player from Japan. But I have not talked to Kenny at all since Anaheim. I think this is someone coming up with something that they think makes sense."

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Obviously Bruce Levine does not have a stellar reputation with Milwaukee's MLB writer.

If there is a deal to go down, my guess is it won't be until the last two weeks of spring training. Too many teams want to see what they've got vs. rushing to make a trade.

I will be out there next week and try to find some things out.

QUOTE(AnthraxFan93 @ Mar 4, 2005 -> 02:09 PM)
How many times would KW allowed Harris to fail before you would be happy for him to make a change?

What makes you think I'm unhappy about this? I simply came to a conclusion based on a fact. No opinion expressed whatsoever in that post.

QUOTE(SoxFan1 @ Mar 4, 2005 -> 07:11 PM)
Kenny Lofton was great. Your crazy...he lead off, got hits, stole bases, scored runs, and was a verbal leader. Oh, and he played good D. What more can you ask for?

:headshake

He only stole 29 bases that year...and for one of the better ones in the game, that is not good.

That was also the season the CBA was renewed. IIRC, his stance on the issue was COMPLETELY different from the rest of the clubhouse...so he was not much of a verbal leader either.

And his D was horrible. He guessed where the ball was going and his arm was weak as hell.

And playing after May 1st would have been nice too, as was pointed out