Sandy Alomar Jr.

Chicagoislife_2003

As long as the Sox are only playing him a max of 3 of every 5 games then I'm happy. If we play Sandy any more then his knees will be toast and he will be on and off the dl all season. When that happens you can't get into a groove offensively and he's wasted space.

That being said I'm all for this as long as Manuel does this the right way and I have confidence that he will. Olivo will get plenty of time and this is going to be a great learning experience for him to the point that next year he will be well versed and ready to handle the job, full time.

Say what u want about how we don't have a catcher.  When healthy Sandy is one of the top 3 or 4 catchers in the al in my opinion.  He handles pitching staff's very well,  Has a decent arm,  And can hit with the best of them when it comes to catchers.  If we can get 90-100 gms outta Alomar this year i'll be happy...

With what he's shown in the beginning of this season, I'm seeing big things for him this season. Hopefully he'll be there to play maybe 2 or 3 games a week, being Buehrle and Colon's catcher, as they should get a veteran backstop catching for them, while Olivio and Paul catch the youngsters, as they are youngsters themselves. Maybe having Alomar catch for Garland, Loaiza, and Stewart a few times to get them some experience with a veteran catcher too, as the experience would be tremendous.

curious how many times has he had knee operations.  I bet by now it is bone on bone, no cartilidge

i believe i read somewhere that this last operation was his 12th??...7 and 5 i think..but a few of them have just been arthoscopic...cant say for sure what the number is but i know its alot..i was like "holy s***" when i read it..

the only thing i dont like about sandy is his arm...i didnt think it was a good idea to bring him back because i didnt think he had much left..guess he is proving me wrong and im glad he is...just crossing my fingers he does need lucky "13" this year...hopefully he is honest with JM and when he needs time off he asks for it...miguel and josh can handle the load for a few days or even a week if thats what it takes to keep sandy healthy

Guest hotsoxchick1

you guys should all be ashamed of yourselves for the unmerciful bashing on sandy you all did when he was signed...........now you all go to your respective corners and repent...........sandy will be ok this year.. and he will help miguel get primed up for his future...............

He has been off the hook. Hes hitting and making great pitch selection for Mark and Bartolo. BTW, Alomar will only catch games when BC and Mark are pitching. Olivo will start the majority of Garland, Loazia, and Stewarts games.

I did bash Sandy when we signed him.

I see he kicked the bleep out of Cleveland.

Nice.

Is he really attacking the ball or getting lucky or what?

I can't imagine Sandy hitting.

The few games I get to see on TV in the past he looks so helpless

at the plate.

But numbers don't lie. He must be whacking the ball.

Kudos to Sandy.

Guest hotsoxchick1

sandy manages to get off a few good hits every now and then, never under estimate him because he does come through.......hes holding his own.. which is more than i can say for dumbass lee......... :D

Guest hotsoxchick1
Sandy also played pretty well for the Rockies after the Sox traded him last July.  They really liked him.

yes he did... it seems to me that no matter where sandy is he is well liked.. i know mark b was happy as hell to hear sandy was coming back.. so were a few of the other pitchers... for a guy who doesnt make alot of waves he sure is good at his job..........knowing the opposition is half the battle but knowing how to handle them is better...........

Sandy also played pretty well for the Rockies after the Sox traded him last July.  They really liked him.

Yeah the Rockies would prolly have kept him if it wasn't for getting Charles Johnson signed and Bobby Estalella (who is tearin it up) back.

I really like Sandy catchin the games for our studs Burly and Colon. He is just a great veteran presence and I think he can even teach a thing or two to our Miggy Olivo.