Psyched about the future

JUGGERNAUT

I thought you were kidding w/ that "intellectual inferiors" crap before, now I'm not so sure.  Don't be a jerk, just b/c your word count per post is so high doesn't mean you have any more to say.

Excuse me? Why don't you look through the start of the thread & take a look at the posters who started that crap? I could either ignore them or respond unkindly. I choose the later because past history as proven that ignoring them does no good.

When any of the trouble makers bother to back up something they have to say with a basis rooted in facts I might have a change of opinion of them. Likewise I realize it's a subtle difference to some but it's a major difference to others. My unkind references are general in nature. They don't offend someone directly. You have to feel the association to the reference to feel the offense. That's a big difference in context.

Likewise nearly all of my statements in this forum have a factual basis to support them. I don't fantasize that a guy is better than he really is because I like him as a player better than someone else. I let the numbers that best equate to Sox wins decide which players I like the most. Therefore when someone refers to my post as illogical & like a coward doesn't bother to include any factual basis to their post I consider such person ignorant. Obnoxious fits as well.

Historically it's been the same thing year after year: Thomas fans vs Koney fans.

Res ipsa loquitur - facts speak for themselves. We should probably remove all Latin phrases for our law codes since they are deeply rooted in the Catholicism of the Roman Empire. (A little SLP barb for those present ;) )

Edited by JUGGERNAUT

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(JUGGERNAUT @ Mar 16, 2005 -> 09:01 AM)
Did you bother to even read the thread?  I said near the break.  BMAC still has something to prove in AAA & the Sox need for Garland/Contreras to at least improve their trade value.  Mid June is a better target.

The thread was predicated on BMAC's dominance in ST in terms of throwing strikes & not giving up runs in HR haven AZ parks.  Both are very rare things to happen.  I don't recall any member of the Sox or the Cub in recent yrs doing what BMAC is doing in ST.

Now if you want to ignore that (ignorance seems to fit some of you quite well) that's your option to do so.  But I on the otherhand look at such a rare thing & start thinking maybe this is our time.  Maybe the White Sox have finally caught some good luck & are looking at the makings of a bonified ace.  You don't make an ace, they make themselves. Hudson, Mulder, Zito, Harden, Maddux & yes Marky B all proved they had ace potential in their first year.  Prior proved it as well.  He's at best right now an ace in the making in the mold of Pedro.  Don't expect 30+ starts from him any year.

So I don't buy into the philosophy that you have to wait around with aces in the making.  If BMAC is getting it done in Charlotte by mid June he should be added to the rotation.  The Twins were in a similar situation with Santana.  He deserved to be in the rotation but they held him back.  If not for injuries to starters they might have lost it that year in doing so.  They also might have lost Santana in that process.  Luck shined on them.  It seems to be shinning on the ChiSox.  You have to take advantage of it.

As for Koney I've crunched the numbers for you on many occasions. He's a great player at the Cell (900OPS) & an above average at best player on the road (780OPS).  That's not worth 45M/5yr (what he's expected to sign for elsewhere).  Better to get Vazquez for him now then a pick later.  I'm assuming if the ChiSox don't sign him that they will offer him arbitration & at least get a comp pick when he leaves.  That's what makes the most sense.

Thomas on the hand when healthy has proven to be a 1000OPS player at the Cell & a 900OPS player on the road.  The choice is obvious.

Julio Ramirez had a break out spring a few years back. Should the Sox of dealt Maggs and gave him right field????

QUOTE(JUGGERNAUT @ Mar 16, 2005 -> 09:18 AM)
For the record I was in favor of trading for Vazquez at the expense of Koney in the off-season.  I felt Garland + Koney for Vazquez was a reasonable price with the $ coming from the NYY for Vazquez. 

It was just plain stupid to trade CLee over Koney.  Look at the difference in their OBP both at home & on the road over the years.  Koney is not a moneyball player. 

Since the D'Backs never upgraded 1B I believe that option is still out there.

Jun will feature some major home stands that will greatly boost Koney's value for teams that need his bat.  The D'Backs are clearly one of those teams & considering the price they paid for Green & Glaus 45M/5yr is probably what they'd agree upon with Koney.

Locking Vazquez up for 3 yrs would solidify the rotation to make a major WS run. 

The schedule tips the scales to the Cell in the first 3 months.  That should boost Koney's stock & keep Garland's & Contreras about the same.  The boost in Koney's stock should allow KW to use the lessor of the two (Jon, or Jose) to complete the trade.

Umm, the Dbacks have Troy Glaus and Chad Tracy slated to play 1st and 3rd base and they LOVE Tracy.

Umm, the Dbacks have Troy Glaus and Chad Tracy slated to play 1st and 3rd base and they LOVE Tracy.

I think you got that the other way around. Glaus(854OPS) at 3B, Tracy(750 OPS) at 1B. They were ready to trade RJ to ultimately get Koney this winter so I don't think Tracy's an unmovable part.

I checked other possible suitors for Koney(825OPS) & the LAD remain a strong candidate. Florida is out with Delgado but I don't see how they will be able to afford Burnett Beckett, Delgado, & Lowell in 06. They'll be looking to dump if they're not in contention.

A backup plan would be Crede+Garland to Florida for Lowell. That's the most obvious $ dump for Florida with Delgado on board. But the Sox need improved play by both Crede & Garland to push that to the forefront for Florida.

It's needless to say that the trade value of Koney, Crede, Garland, & Contreras give the ChiSox several options to upgrade the team for the stretch drive. More so than other teams. Rent a player options are less likely so an upgrade this year will likely stick thru 07. That's the main point of the thread.