Willie Harris

BrandoFan

his OPS is absolutely rediculous 1200 and we know he can run bases and play D. I am as stunned as anyone else as I though he was less experienced but faster version of Singleton. If he could stay around close to 800 OPS-wise in AAA and continue to work on his eye and walks, he can be a solid major leaguer and a great 4th outfielder at worst.

The question is, should he be promoted now that Rowand is sucking it up and Borchard not ready, or should we give Rios and maybe even Maggs (hell if Larry Walker, Austin Kearns, Lance Berkman who are all bigger than him can make the switch, why can't he?) a shot at CF?

Discuss.

Great question. Right now I don't see any changes being made. I don't think we see Borchard till June 1st. I believe the Sox want him to continue working on shortening the swing and the adjustments he's made down in the minors. Give him two months or so their to get comfortable and then you'll see him in Chicago; Thats if no one has won the centerfield job.

I like the idea of having Harrs if the kid can play. That being said its only over a short period of time. Plus, does that mean we simply cut Paul?

What about Maggs in center? I wouldn't mind having Daubach's bat in there regularly as I tihnk he could be a Will Clark-type help but with moe power...that is if Willie Harris and Borchard are not ready and Rowand/Rios can't pull it off.

As for Borchard, seeing how Choi is doing so well right now, my expectations of JoBo are that much higher. And, frankly, last year he looked overmatched.

I stick to my theory, no way do I ever want to see Maggs in center unless it is because of an injury or something weird. He is not capable of covering the ground out there. Leave him in right or move him to left and let Borchard play right with someone else in center.

On our team, Rios, Rowand, Harris and Borchard are the only guys I'll take in center.

Real quick, I know everyone talks about Dunn, I think he struck out 166 times last year so its not like he isn't striking out and Borchard is. They both have a lot to work on. Were just giving Joey B more time in the minors to do it because our team is far more talented then the Reds.

How the hell does Willie Harris have a 1200 OPS? Does he think he's Willie Mays Hayes or what?

His OPS as a leadoff guy should be nowhere near 1200....unless his OBP is about 600 or 700.....or he's gotten a lot of doubles and triples(which isn't necessarily a bad thing).

Anyways....keep Willie down there....use Rios in CF and have Rowand sub in at the end of games...and if Rios can start hitting, have him bat 6th and Lee bat 7th.....and at this time, I'd be all for trading Lee just so our defense in the OF has a little range. Rios is not a good defensive CF(though he is nowhere near as bad as Bocachica...lol)....he has little range. Lee is not a good defensive anything. He has very little range as well. When you have those two side-by-side....that's not good. The way our OF looks now....I'm kind of considering how well Jonny G would look in that bright Angel red....hint hint.

If we could trade Lee just to improve the defense...that'd be stellar. Maybe not trade him for Stewart in Toronto....maybe trade him for something....anything....and then we use either Borchard in CF and Rios in LF or the other way around...or maybe Rowand starts hitting....who knows.

No, I don't bring Harris up....no, I don't move Maggs into CF....and no, I don't use Rowand in CF as the starter at this point in time. It is now Rios's job to lose

Whats Stewarts contract and would the Jays want Stewart? I'd definately take Shannon and his speed and such over Caballo. Off the top of my head Shannon is still pretty young, very quick has some pop and can hit .300 or so and could fit in at the top of the lineup or in the back.

He's a lefty or a switch hitter or is he a righty?

Guest hotsoxchick1

trade paul for a minor leaguer and bring harris up... put rowand on the bench for a while and everyones happy right...............

What I want to know is why is Edwin Almonte not on this team...... I think we need to find a spot for him. This kid already has 5 saves for Charlotte...... Also he has a Foulke-like change-up...... Rick White who?

Don't know if you watched Mark, but White was nasty today. He has great stuff. I don't want this guy going anywhere. Him, Flash, Marte, Wunsch and Koch are all keepers in my opinion. We also all know that I like Glover a whole lot.

Almonte is damn good and although he's getting old I think he's going to have to wait a bit, but he'll get his time and he'll be really good. His time isn't quite yet.

Whats Stewarts contract and would the Jays want Stewart?  I'd definately take Shannon and his speed and such over Caballo.  Off the top of my head Shannon is still pretty young, very quick has some pop and can hit .300 or so and could fit in at the top of the lineup or in the back. 

He's a lefty or a switch hitter or is he a righty?

Stewart is in the last year of his deal....is making just over $6 mill this year....hits well, has some pop, very good speed, gets on base regularly....but he is not good in the field. Maybe he's got range....but I know he has a weak-ass arm. He's a pretty similar player to Durham....though I'm not sure how much he K's. And he is just a righty...I believe.

I explained my theory with that somewhere else.....but in general, if I were JM(assuming we traded Lee for Stewart straight up), I'd bat Stewart leadoff....then use Jose at #2, Thomas at 3, and Maggs at cleanup. I'd then go with Jimenez at the #5 spot, with Konerko, Rios/Borchard, Crede, Olivo. In this scenario....you really don't have to worry about the lefty thing....because not only does Jimenez break up the righties, but you basically have two seperate lineups....one 4 people long, one 5 people long. If you did this....small ball(something you really like, Jas) would be a factor. You'd have Stewart and Valentin leading things off....Stewart is a good small-ball type player, Jose is decent....but Thomas and Maggs are not traditional small ball players. They'll get sac flies and Thomas will try to get on base while Maggs will try to get a hit....but not big small ball players. In the lineup we have now....Konerko would then come up....and continue that slugging thing and it would be unstoppable....and the rallies we would get started would end rather quickly, because it would be station to station ball. With Jimenez in the #5 spot...he acts as kind of a mix between a leadoff hitter and a #3 hitter....trying to get on base while generating some power of some kind...and stealing some bases along the lines as well. Jimenez doesn't have true leadoff speed....so he would be better suited for that spot. Konerko is then a power hitter....but Rios could hit here as well....it just all depends on what Manuel decided for that day. Then you'd have Rios/Borchard batting 7th, Crede batting 8th, and Olivo batting 9th.

I personally like this lineup because it is basically two lineups....like I said above. And you wouldn't even need to manage this lineup....because IMO, if this all worked out like it should(and I think it would)....it would score 900-1000 runs by itself. If you gave this lineup to a great manager....he could possibly get 1200 runs out of it.

Anyways...I'm sure Toronto would take Lee for Stewart straight up....and if not, we have prospects that we could sweeten the deal with. And with this being Stewart's last year of his deal....we wouldn't have to resign him. However....if my theory worked....resigning him would be a good idea.

Real quick, I know everyone talks about Dunn, I think he struck out 166 times last year so its not like he isn't striking out and Borchard is.

I don't think anything is wrong with strike-outs per se. Sosa and even Thome will be HOF'ers and they K a bunch. Adam Dunn was only 22 and was on pace to 160 walks at some point, finishing with 130+. Wasn't his OBP actually higher than anyone on our team? Remember his power numbers are only going to get better as he matures and Ks wil go down. Unlike Russel Branyon or even Ritchie Sexton, he has an "eye" which can go a long way in the majors.

Borchard? In light of Choi and Dunn's development, he has disappointed me so far. Yes, I am pretty patient overall (I am still waiting for Carlos to break out, lol), but so far he ain;t the Savior I thought he might be. To be honest, I feel much better when aging Frank at the plate than JoBo...so far.

since he hit AA ball 2 years ago willie harris has hit .295 in the minors....his problem has been he is luis castillo but thinks he is babe ruth...if he is hitting home runs in charlotte then he is not ready to play uop here

jerry manuel said in ST willie harris has to change his game..he has to learn to hit the ball on the ground..he hits way too many fly balls...so if he has developed pop in his bat at AA i doubt that will get him a look see up here

since he hit AA ball 2 years ago willie harris has hit .295 in the minors....his problem has been he is luis castillo but thinks he is babe ruth...if he is hitting home runs in charlotte then he is not ready to play uop here

jerry manuel said in ST willie harris has to change his game..he has to learn to hit the ball on the ground..he hits way too many fly balls...so if he has developed pop in his bat at AA i doubt that will get him a look see up here

He must have watched Major League II before ST. No Willie Mays Hayes' needed!

LOL - the guy's batting .386 with 3 homers 4 SBs and an OBP of .449 over 11 games and we're complaining about his approach??!!! Unbelievable how we play favorites around here.

Fellow Sox fans - believe me - nobody's asking him to change his approach when he's performing like this - by the way Charlotte is AAA not AA.

Now if/when that BA drops into the .250s and he's not getting on base and it appears he's swinging for the fences - then you tell him to change his approach. But noone in their right mind would look at his numbers and say - nope - sorry - you need to cool down a little bit with all this hitting you're doing - we want you to be a poor hitting fast guy.

Sure - the guy's not a power hitter - but he's definitely locked in at the plate - and that means he's approaching each at bat about as well as you can.

I don't see Rowand holding onto his job much longer if Harris continues to light up AAA.