I-Pod's/MP3 Players.

CWSGuy406

Alright -- I need some help here. I think I want to get one of these things, as I'd like something compact that would allow me to not carry my CD's around.

Here's the problem -- I know jack-s*** about either of these two things.

First, let me tell you what I'd like, then maybe one of you guys would be nice enough to direct me to a place where I can get one. I probably need something that can hold just about 1,000 songs. One of my friends has one that hold 2,000, and then I saw on BestBuy.com, one holds 10,000 -- well, I don't need one with that much room. I don't even think I'd use 500 of the 1,000 spots, but I figure I'd round up -- by a lot.

Next, I want something that will allow me to hook it up to my CD-Player in my car. I don't know how exactly that would work, but I've seen people who've done it, with CD-Players not too much different than mine. I assume that might be a seperate hook-up, but whatever.

And, finally -- what's the difference between an MP3 Player and an I-Pod?

If someone can help me out with any of my questions, I'd really appreciate it. Thanks in advance.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ive got an Ipod mini that holds 1000 and I love it. Its $200 now and i got it for $250 so thats what I would get. Also the Ipod has the 1 year warrenty, which BTW i have a story about.

On friday night my ipod turned off and the wouldnt come back on, I knew the battery was ok because it was plugged into the wall when i was usin it so it wouldnt have gone off. So i try the reset option press all sorts of buttons...nothin. So I went to the site and took advantage of the warrenty and they sent me a box that i would send it back in and it came this morning so i figured id send it out after school, but i go to my room grab the ipod and realize that it is on and its working fine. I tried like 5 times saturday and sunday to get this to work and nothin...but its fine now. I still have till may 13 to send it back so im gunna keep the box incase somethin happens again but its weird.

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ May 2, 2005 -> 06:44 PM)
Ick -- the reviews for the iTrip don't seem to great.  People complaining that the slightest movement causes bad sound, etc etc.  Damn.

that's what brian was using in the car for our trip to the game.

They work.

and i have an Ipod and have 2000 songs on it, its the best investment I've ever made. I don't have the itrip, but I have an FM transmitter, it does the same job.

Ipods are great because of the ease of use, plug it into your computer and Itunes does the job. Easy to find the songs you want, etc.

Edited by Soxnbears01

The reason i didnt go with the bigger one is that 1000 songs is alot (for me at least), i only have like 200 on my mini right now and there are a bunch that i could get rid of because i never listen to. If i ever get to 1000 im sure i would have a ton that i wouldnt care deleting.

QUOTE(Soxnbears01 @ May 2, 2005 -> 05:47 PM)
and i have an Ipod and have 2000 songs on it, its the best investment I've ever made.  I don't have the itrip, but I have an FM transmitter, it does the same job.

Ipods are great because of the ease of use, plug it into your computer and Itunes does the job.  Easy to find the songs you want, etc.

Those are most excellent. We use it every trip to and from school.

If you want to get the ipod actually connected to your cd player your going to have to get it done professionally, i know that the kit is about $100, but if you are good with that kind of stuff you can probably do it yourself, it isnt too hard..

Mp3 player usually means a flash memory player (like the iShuffle -- one of billions). These are nice because they they are tiny and never skip, but they're a pain in the ass when you want to reload them with songs. At least I find it annoying to delete everything, pick out what I want today, and load it up -- it takes too much time. Plus, all the songs are locked in the order in which you loaded them (at least that's true of mine, and the iShuffle) -- so searching for a song is a chore.

iPod's are hard disk players, so they will skip, but you gotta REALLY do a number on them to have that happen. They're also a little bigger, and I would guess that battery life is not as great (but my mp3 player's battery isn't so hot, so I'm not sure about that). But they hold a boatload of songs, and it's much easier to navigate to the song you want. Rio and Dell make other hard disk players.

I own a 20 gb iPod and a 256 mb mp3 player. The mp3 player's 2-3 years old, the iPod I've only had for a few months. (I want to add, you can of course load mp3s on an iPod.) I never use the mp3 player anymore, just because I don't want to bother switching out songs. I've used about 6 gb on the iPod (2100 songs), and that's pretty much everything I'll listen to for years, I expect. And if I feel like Bessie Smith in the afternoon, it doesn't matter if this morning I knew I would feel like Bessie Smith. So I'm big on the iPod.

There's some controversy about iPod batteries -- you may want to check this out.

The car stereo hook up I'm not too sure about -- there are radio transmitters, probably some other gizmos.

Where to buy it depends on what you want to buy -- first decide on what you want, then just hunt for the lowest price. There have been some sales recently, especially with the introduction of the newer iPod models. There are also student discounts in some places (the online Apple store, I think) -- I don't know if you would qualify for these, but you can always check.

QUOTE(IlliniKrush @ May 3, 2005 -> 02:46 AM)
ITrip works fine usually.

I'd also go with the normal IPod instead of the IPod mini, if you can afford it.

Any reason why? I'd rather save $100 bucks, but if it's really that important...

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ May 2, 2005 -> 09:50 PM)
Any reason why?  I'd rather save $100 bucks, but if it's really that important...

ipod mini's are cheaper, but hold alot less songs. Not sure of the exact stats and too lazy to look it up.

QUOTE(Soxnbears01 @ May 3, 2005 -> 02:53 AM)
ipod mini's are cheaper, but hold alot less songs.  Not sure of the exact stats and too lazy to look it up.

Especially if you're finicky about the song quality. Ripping songs at a higher quality quickly eats up disk space.

QUOTE(Soxnbears01 @ May 3, 2005 -> 02:53 AM)
ipod mini's are cheaper, but hold alot less songs.  Not sure of the exact stats and too lazy to look it up.

I saw the mini's hold 1K. Which should be enough for me -- I have less than 100 songs in mind right now that I want to put on there. I'm not a big music guy -- I like Beatles, Dave, and some other random stuff, but that's about it...

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ May 3, 2005 -> 03:00 AM)
Wait, I'm confused.  Is there a disk within the iPod that you save the songs on?

Or, do you get 1,000 songs -- period?

You rip the songs onto your computer's hard drive, then transfer these to the iPod's hard drive.

Edit: Not a removable drive, nothing like that.

Edited by jackie hayes

QUOTE(jackie hayes @ May 3, 2005 -> 03:01 AM)
You rip the songs onto your computer's hard drive, then transfer these to the iPod's hard drive.

Edit:  Not a removable drive, nothing like that.

Ok, I understand that. But say I buy one of the iPod's shown here. Other than how much music I can hold on it (which, fwiw, 1000 is plenty for me. I doubt I'll even use 500), is there any reason that I shouldn't buy it?

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ May 2, 2005 -> 10:00 PM)
Wait, I'm confused.  Is there a disk within the iPod that you save the songs on?

Or, do you get 1,000 songs -- period?

Everything is in Itunes, you get a library you can delete songs, add songs, create playlists, organize by group, album, genre etc. Its really simple.