I-Pod's/MP3 Players.

CWSGuy406

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ May 2, 2005 -> 10:05 PM)
Ok, I understand that.  But say I buy one of the iPod's shown here.  Other than how much music I can hold on it (which, fwiw, 1000 is plenty for me.  I doubt I'll even use 500), is there any reason that I shouldn't buy it?

Thats exactly the way i felt when i got my mini and i have just about 200 songs and am perfectly happy.

Edit: here are the exact thing from settings, i have less songs than i thought.

Songs 148

Capacity 3.7 (originally 4, you lose when you format at the begining)

Available 3.1

I dont put every song i ever hear on my pod, just songs i like and will listen to.

QUOTE(Cy Garland @ May 2, 2005 -> 10:09 PM)
Thats exactly the way i felt when i got my mini and i have just about 200 songs and am perfectly happy.

wait till you get on a dorm network and can download songs straight off the network.

I came to college w/ 700, will be leaving w/ 2000+

QUOTE(Cy Garland @ May 3, 2005 -> 03:09 AM)

Ok -- that's what I needed.

I'm really not trying to make it complicated, even though I am. :lol: Believe me, Steve, I doubt I listen to half the music you listen to. I'm really not a big music at all, but the CD's I do have are all over the place. I think a thing like this will last me at least through college.

EDIT: Like I said -- Beatles, DMB (and not all of it either), and some random stuff, which is few and far between. I'm not really a music fan.

Edited by CWSGuy406

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ May 2, 2005 -> 10:12 PM)
Ok -- that's what I needed.

I'm really not trying to make it complicated, even though I am.  :lol: Believe me, Steve, I doubt I listen to half the music you listen to. 

I have 400 beatles songs.

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ May 3, 2005 -> 03:05 AM)
Ok, I understand that.  But say I buy one of the iPod's shown here.  Other than how much music I can hold on it (which, fwiw, 1000 is plenty for me.  I doubt I'll even use 500), is there any reason that I shouldn't buy it?

So, for example, the 4 gb iPod will hold approximately 1000 'average length' songs if you have them at 128 kbps quality. Higher or lower quality, adjust the number of songs accordingly.

And like soxnbears says, you should be sure that you won't want more songs later on. I don't listen to that much music, but I have over 2100 songs on my iPod. I'm happy that I have the 20 gb.

QUOTE(Cy Garland @ May 2, 2005 -> 10:14 PM)
How many do you actually listen to on a regular basis?

with my ipod, i usually just have it on shuffle. So it's shuffling through 2000 songs, get a healthy variety of everything.

QUOTE(Soxnbears01 @ May 2, 2005 -> 10:16 PM)
with my ipod, i usually just have it on shuffle.  So it's shuffling through 2000 songs, get a healthy variety of everything.

I hate shuffle. Whenever i use it, it goes to a song i dont feel like listenin to at the moment :bang

QUOTE(jackie hayes @ May 3, 2005 -> 03:15 AM)
So, for example, the 4 gb iPod will hold approximately 1000 'average length' songs if you have them at 128 kbps quality.  Higher or lower quality, adjust the number of songs accordingly.

And like soxnbears says, you should be sure that you won't want more songs later on.  I don't listen to that much music, but I have over 2100 songs on my iPod.  I'm happy that I have the 20 gb.

Average length? I assume that means three minutes or so? I think that evens out -- I have some songs that are about a minute and a half, and a bunch that are four minutes...

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ May 3, 2005 -> 03:18 AM)
Average length?  I assume that means three minutes or so?  I think that evens out -- I have some songs that are about a minute and a half, and a bunch that are four minutes...

Yeah, it's 3-4 min, something like that, which is fine for me too. But if you had a lot of Grateful Dead live jams, you might be in trouble. Not important for most people.

QUOTE(Cy Garland @ May 2, 2005 -> 10:18 PM)
I hate shuffle. Whenever i use it, it goes to a song i dont feel like listenin to at the moment :bang

Like just now the first 2 songs were from my sisters Eminem CD i dont even know why i put on my ipod :bang

I got thisone awhile back and I haven't had any problems with it yet.

I bought a FM Transmitter but if you still have a cassette transmitter from your cd player, you can plug that into your headphone jack. Today I bought a Y cable to hook s*** up directly to my TV for stereo sound, or my home system.

QUOTE(santo=dorf @ May 2, 2005 -> 10:52 PM)
I got thisone awhile back and I haven't had any problems with it yet.

I bought a FM Transmitter but if you still have a cassette transmitter from your cd player, you can plug that into your headphone jack.  Today I bought a Y cable to hook s*** up directly to my TV for stereo sound, or my home system.

I found one of those lying around my house, kicks major ass.

Btw, I should say -- even though I love my iPod, I think you should check out the Rio model that's about the same capacity as the iPod Mini (don't know the name, sorry). A friend of mine has it and says he almost never has to recharge it. I'm not saying it's better, just that it deserves a look.

I'd go to the Apple store on Michigan avenue, sometimes you can catch a refurbished ipod for even cheaper, which I did on my 40 gig.

If not, you can still talk to someone who knows a lot about all of the models and get the 4gig for $200.

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ May 7, 2005 -> 05:41 PM)
Alright.  I got my iPod today.

Now, how do I get songs on it?  I've converted the songs that I want on there to iTunes, now I don't know what to do.  I tried hitting Import, and that didn't seem to work.  Any help?

plug in your ipod

read the instructions

jeez

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ May 7, 2005 -> 10:41 PM)
Alright.  I got my iPod today.

Now, how do I get songs on it?  I've converted the songs that I want on there to iTunes, now I don't know what to do.  I tried hitting Import, and that didn't seem to work.  Any help?

:headbang

Which one did you get?

How are you trying to connect it? (usb? firewire?) Mine had a problem w/ usb 1.1 -- so I went on a hunt for a firewire adapter, and THEN it worked. But as Soxnbears says, it's important to follow the instructions. (Really -- some details that you might think are picky will actually make a difference in the setup. But after that -- honest! -- it's automatic.

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ May 7, 2005 -> 11:07 PM)
Lol, I did.  I installed the disk I got, too.

Alright, I got the songs on there, problem is, they're named "Track 1", "Track 2" -- can I rename 'em on the iPod, or can I do that in iTunes somehow?

Do it in iTunes, it'll sync up the next time you hook up the iPod. If you're connected to the internet when you burn the cd, it'll fetch the tracklisting from...forgot the company name, but there's some company that provides this. Anyway, it's automatic, costs nothing, and very, very convenient.