Olivo

southsider2k5

Catcher Miguel Olivo had a career-high three hits in Saturday's victory, going 3-for-4 with a double. The 24-year-old rookie, who had Sunday off, is 5-for-12 over the last three games after ending an 0-for-12 slump.

"It was good to see him with the three hits," Manuel said. "Hopefully that's a sign of good things to come. He could be a real good force in that part of the order."

Olivo, batting .214 with one homer and two RBI, has been the Sox's No. 9 hitter. While Manuel expects him to improve as a hitter, he is pleased with how Olivo has handled himself behind the plate. He has one passed ball, and not a single runner has attempted to steal on him.

"When you have a young catcher, the thing you look for is that behind the plate he goes unnoticed," Manuel said. "If he goes unnoticed, he's doing a good job. If you begin to drop balls, passed balls, then it becomes the focal point.

"He had a passed ball the other day, but for the most part we haven't really noticed a lot of activity back there."

Guest hotsoxchick1

what i like is hes building a reputation for throwing out runners........thats good for us..........glad to see his bat finally woke up too... now if we can only see him snatch up a few bases along the way i would say hes right on track to being the miguel i saw in birmingham..........

what i like is hes building a reputation for throwing out runners........thats good for us..........glad to see his bat finally woke up too... now if we can only see him snatch up a few bases along the way i would say hes right on track to being the miguel i saw in birmingham..........

HSC, you were right...not that I ever doubted you about Miguel but he's a lot better than I thought he would be. The kid can play D, hit, run, and has an incredible intensity level. I think the major reason we won that game against KC earlier in the homestand was because Miguel slid into first base causing the Royal fielder to panic and throw the ball away.

I have to say it's early, but I love the kid!

CWSOX45

better x-ray that bat to see if cork is in it. :D

also known as the Pad-a-Stat Day

I have never criticised Olivo since he was promoted for a reason even when he wenrt into 0-12 slump. (Same as with Crede last year when the latter started 5-for-30 and many Sox were ready to kill him)

His eye is pretty good and the walks (when Paulie walks it's one thing, when a SB-threat Miguel is on base it's another altogether)will be there when he learns major league pitching, again the potential hitting for average/getting on base is definately there and he has excelled at that in Birmigham as well. He also has a nice level swing (Hawk said there is practically no angle to it which will allow him to hit pitcher's pitches and not pop them up like some other "power" hitters we have I could mention), with good batspeed, certainly better than Johnson's, Paul's and at least as good as Alomar's...But the best part is that Miguel knows (I don't mean "intellectually", but rather "instinctually") the value of hitting to the opposite field, something that only Maggs and maybe Jimenez do on consistent basis, and it will allow him if nothing else to avoid long slumps. If Lee and Koney could hit to the opposite field with authority, they would be 3-time All-Stars buy now...

Give him 600 (as Crede can tell you noone comes into Bigs and dominates off the bat...unless he is Pujols) or so at bats and you'll will see what I meant when I said that Sox definately won the Bradford trade even though Chad has been a successful reliever for them for 2 years now.

Guest hotsoxchick1

HSC, you were right...not that I ever doubted you about Miguel but he's a lot better than I thought he would be. The kid can play D, hit, run, and has an incredible intensity level. I think the major reason we won that game against KC earlier in the homestand was because Miguel slid into first base causing the Royal fielder to panic and throw the ball away.

CWSOX45

hey i try and do my best to pick out the good guys........i think i did good on this one........ :D

CWSOX45

hey i try and do my best to pick out the good guys........i think i did good on this one........ :D

i think we'll keep him..atleast until cheapass has to actually pay him his worth

CWSOX45

So far so good with Miguel. I think he'll be a solid catcher, potentially even an All-Star game or two in his future.

Guest hotsoxchick1
I know he threw out a couple of guys, so maybe no one's successfully stolen a base off him.

i think hes only got one who has successfully stolen on him since he came up ..............one out of a handful who have tried isnt all that bad.... his reputation is getting around the league......... :D :D