Cotts pitching shutout ball

Cerbaho-WG

Would have liked to see more K's, but the 3 BBs is impressive. 4-0!

i remember the person who does the BA top prospect mention that this kid, if he was acquired in time would have made the top 10 if not the top 5, if i remember right.

Would have liked to see more K's, but the 3 BBs is impressive. 4-0!

Definately. Its good to see that walk total drop.

Also, Daylan Holt, the other member of the trade, really seems to be heating up over the past few days in Winston Salem.

I'd think that Birmingham could use his bat and that he'll be back on the move to Birmingham rather quickly. Yan could make a move quick as well.

One other note: Royce Ring really looks to be clicking after his first couple outings where he blew a few saves.

Ring gave up the winning hit yesterday allowing a runner of Yofu's to score in the bottom of the ninth. Came back strong tonight.

The thing about Ring that bothers me is that he doesn't (or hasn't) throw hard. When I saw him last week he was consistently at 87-88 and only hit 91 once. His breaking ball was good and had nice bite. His changeup was decent. His fastball had nice movent sometimes and was straight others (4-seam vs. 2-seam? inconsistent?). I guess I just expected him to blow hitters away in the mid-90's and that isn't happening. I am guessing he is a late 2004 arrival in Chicago at the earliest, unless they give him a courtesy callup in Sept., which would be stupid.

Not sure Holt will be back in Bham. Big difference in A ball and AA. Would like to see Yan, however. Barons could use someone at the top of the order to actually get on base.

Ring gave up the winning hit yesterday allowing a runner of Yofu's to score in the bottom of the ninth.  Came back strong tonight. 

The thing about Ring that bothers me is that he doesn't (or hasn't) throw hard.  When I saw him last week he was consistently at 87-88 and only hit 91 once.  His breaking ball was good and had nice bite.  His changeup was decent.  His fastball had nice movent sometimes and was straight others (4-seam vs. 2-seam? inconsistent?).  I guess I just expected him to blow hitters away in the mid-90's and that isn't happening.  I am guessing he is a late 2004 arrival in Chicago at the earliest, unless they give him a courtesy callup in Sept., which would be stupid.

Not sure Holt will be back in Bham.  Big difference in A ball and AA.  Would like to see Yan, however.  Barons could use someone at the top of the order to actually get on base.

when he was drafted, wasn't his fastball was in the mid 90's?

Hud, from what I heard wasn't he supposed to throw 93-94?

Have you heard from anyone what he was throwing last year? I think a lot of the time scouts really over-estimate a pitchers velocity or when they do the readings the pitcher is simply throwing their hardest. Typically though when on the mound a pitcher doesn't throw their hardest and are more effective when they are 1-3 mph under that velocity because it tends to give them more movement.

This isn't in all cases though. Garland is one person who this holds true. When he throws 94-95 (Which he can) his fastball straightens out. At 91-92 it has some serious dropping action to it.

hey rex

have you seen this asian kid pitch? how is he, the real deal or not?

LDF, I just saw him briefly in one appearance. Unfortunately I was not in position to get a real good look. Hopefully I can catch him in the next 4 days.

I know Backman is high on him and doesn't expect him to be in Birmingham long. He has a funky windup, kind of like Nomo, but not exactly the same. Throws very hard. I'll get good readings this week if possible. Sorry for slacking up to this point.

Hud, from what I heard wasn't he supposed to throw 93-94? 

Have you heard from anyone what he was throwing last year?  I think a lot of the time scouts really over-estimate a pitchers velocity or when they do the readings the pitcher is simply throwing their hardest.  Typically though when on the mound a pitcher doesn't throw their hardest and are more effective when they are 1-3 mph under that velocity because it tends to give them more movement.

This isn't in all cases though.  Garland is one person who this holds true.  When he throws 94-95 (Which he can) his fastball straightens out.  At 91-92 it has some serious dropping action to it.

I'm sure he'll pitch again in the next 3 or 4 days, so I will watch the gun again. Last time I was standing behind Corwin who was charting pitches in the stands and I could see the radar gun on every pitch.

To me thats always the best when you can watch the gun.

On a sidenote, how hard has Corwin been throwing. In spring he looked to be throwing hard, but it was just a bullpen session so I have no idea what his velocity is at.

Do you know if its similar to what it was before he was shutdown last season?

Thanks for the info. I can't wait to make it out there this summer :headbang

hey rex

have you seen this asian kid pitch? how is he, the real deal or not?

LDF, I just saw him briefly in one appearance. Unfortunately I was not in position to get a real good look. Hopefully I can catch him in the next 4 days.

I know Backman is high on him and doesn't expect him to be in Birmingham long. He has a funky windup, kind of like Nomo, but not exactly the same. Throws very hard. I'll get good readings this week if possible. Sorry for slacking up to this point.

you call this slacking.............. i am really happy that you are giving us anything. the future is the prospect and i can't get enuf rpt on them.

To me thats always the best when you can watch the gun. 

On a sidenote, how hard has Corwin been throwing.  In spring he looked to be throwing hard, but it was just a bullpen session so I have no idea what his velocity is at. 

Do you know if its similar to what it was before he was shutdown last season? 

Thanks for the info.  I can't wait to make it out there this summer  :headbang

I wouldn't worry about Corwin right now. He is going backwards and I am not sure he is going to right the ship. If he does he has a chance, but at this point, I'd be surprised to see Corwin in a Sox uniform period.

I've had those same worries.  The one thing that keeps me bright about him is just how talented the kid is.  The problem is he's so raw and doesn't have anywhat of a smooth delivery.

I mean he could "find it" sometime, but right now he just looks like he doesn't have a clue. He is all over the place and looks like he doesn't know where the ball is going. It's bad when only 3 walks in 4.1 innings is considered improvement. Unfortunately, it came while allowing 8 hits.

At least when Malone is pitching terrible, you can look forward to seeing another lefty in Cotts pitch excellent.

I still think Birmingham will recover. They have a really good pitching staff imo. They are just going to have to really improve at getting runners on. That offense has been hideous thus far.

At least when Malone is pitching terrible, you can look forward to seeing another lefty in Cotts pitch excellent.

I still think Birmingham will recover.  They have a really good pitching staff imo.  They are just going to have to really improve at getting runners on.  That offense has been hideous thus far.

Hideous is the understatement of the year. LOL Anemic would be accurate as well.

I still think Birmingham will recover.  They have a really good pitching staff imo.  They are just going to have to really improve at getting runners on.  That offense has been hideous thus far.

Hideous is the understatement of the year. LOL Anemic would be accurate as well.

:D

i feel for the pitching staff

Be the first on your block to suggest the Sox send down Jon Garland for Neal Cotts!!! :lolhitting

Oh I've thought Neal Cotts had major league potential ever since I saw him pitch during his college days here at Illinois State University! I actually think that we might see him up here in the big club as early as next season.

He's making us Redbird baseball fans proud!!!