No Speeding in Construction Zone

Controlled Chaos

Illinois Speed Cameras to Take License on 2nd Offense

Illinois will begin using photo radar in freeway work zones in July. Second offense tickets are $1000 with license suspension.

Beginning in July the State of Illinois will use speed cameras in areas designated as "work zones" on major freeways. Anyone caught by the devices will be mailed a $375 ticket for the first offense, but a second ticket will cost $1000 and comes with a 90-day license suspension. Drivers will also face higher insurance premiums as the first offense remains on the record for 4-5 years, but a second offense remains for a minumum of 7 years. This represents the harshest penalty structure yet for a city using photo enforcement.

The state will begin with two camera vans issuing tickets in zones with speed limits lowered to 45 MPH. Photographs of both the driver's face and license plate are taken. Officials plan to keep at least one van in the Chicago area on the Dan Ryan and Kingery Expressways while other vans issue tickets in the rest of the state. Illinois Tollway Executive Director Jack Hartman promised more work zones: "Since the Tollway just launched our $5.3 billion Congestion Relief Plan, drivers will see more work zones on the Tollway than they have in the past."

I think that this is f'in bullsh*t.

They shouldn't be allowed to do this crap.

I know that everyone says that this is for safety, and while I agree that highway construction zones are no place to go 80 mph, giving out standardized tickets is a bunch of crap too.

So we have to go 45 MPH in areas they decide are construction zones...where they put up two horses and a flashing light and do actual work about 1 hour a week...GIVE ME A BREAK!!!!!!! :angry:

Well i'm officially screwed...I better set aside $375 right now. :banghead

QUOTE(TheBigHurt35 @ May 19, 2005 -> 08:45 PM)
I'm glad I moved to Texas recently, where I don't have to put up with asshole Illinois drivers going 20 over the limit and the Draconian traffic laws that have been implemented because of them.

Are you f***ing crazy? The drivers are just as bad down here.

OH s***, there's my EXIT! across 5 lanes of traffic to hit the frontage roads.

I never do that... :bringit

BTW - you going to the game(s) next weekend?

QUOTE(kapkomet @ May 19, 2005 -> 03:54 PM)
Are you f***ing crazy?  The drivers are just as bad down here.

OH s***, there's my EXIT! across 5 lanes of traffic to hit the frontage roads.

I never do that...  :bringit

BTW - you going to the game(s) next weekend?

Dallas and Houston are the exceptions, of course (I've experienced both and know exactly what you're talking about). The big difference is that in Illinois and Indiana, the flow of traffic in rural areas of I-57 and I-65 is about 80 mph. People don't drive like complete dickheads in the rural areas and around the smaller towns in Texas (it's more like 5 over and rarely more than 10).

I'm going to no games in the foreseeable future. Not until the Colts come down to kick some Texan ass. ;)

The sad part is that these new draconian rules came into effect after the death of a highway worker last year. The thinking, of course, is that the increased fine would slow people down to help 'save lives'. The only problem is that these new laws would not have helped 7 of the last 8 workers that were killed. 5 of them were killed by drunk drivers. Since they were drunk, do you think they really cared about the speed limit? One was driving on a suspended liscense, in a 'borrowed' car from his girlfriend, and had multiple outstanding tickets. It doesn't appear that he was too concerned with following the law. one was killed when the driver fell asleep at the wheel (although he said he had 'blacked out'). And one was killed by a driver that didn't slow down when the worker standing there with the stop sign pointed it at him, and he went thru some of the barracades and hit a worker. I'm all for having a safe work environment, but the knee-jerk reaction to the worker deaths has helped to lead us towards big brother on the roadways. I also have to get my $375 ready. With the added miles I have to drive due to the crap by I-394/294 ramps, I HAVE to speed just to get to work in any reasonable amount of time.

QUOTE(Steff @ May 19, 2005 -> 04:35 PM)
What I want to know is why does it take FIVE years to resurface a 10 mile stretch of road...??? And why do they not work at night..?

Well now it will take that long just so they can collect $375 dollars from every driver that passes through... :banghead

I feel like each and everyday things get stranger on the roadways:

The cell phone law - While good in theory, I already see drivers swerving across lanes to park on the side of the road when their phone rings...Its ridiculous for the drivers (like me) with no record and who only seldom uses the cell phone while driving.

This new draconian construction law

The gates blocking traffic if there is a terror alert being installed on the on-ramps...There is some crazy stuff goin on all of a sudden.

QUOTE(TheBigHurt35 @ May 19, 2005 -> 04:12 PM)
Dallas and Houston are the exceptions, of course (I've experienced both and know exactly what you're talking about).  The big difference is that in Illinois and Indiana, the flow of traffic in rural areas of I-57 and I-65 is about 80 mph.  People don't drive like complete dickheads in the rural areas and around the smaller towns in Texas (it's more like 5 over and rarely more than 10).

I'm going to no games in the foreseeable future.  Not until the Colts come down to kick some Texan ass. ;)

I know the speed limits on I 40 are 75 MPH. Is that the same throughout the open areas of TX?

QUOTE(NUKE_CLEVELAND @ May 19, 2005 -> 11:48 PM)
I know the speed limits on I 40 are 75 MPH.  Is that the same throughout the open areas of TX?

Just guessing here, but I think I-40 runs through Oklahoma.

QUOTE(NUKE_CLEVELAND @ May 20, 2005 -> 05:22 AM)
It does......but it also runs through the panhandle of TX.  Only reason I know is because I spent a lot of time on it on my way out to AZ.

So, now you know why I "hedged my bet" on my post. :)

QUOTE(NUKE_CLEVELAND @ May 19, 2005 -> 10:48 PM)
I know the speed limits on I 40 are 75 MPH.  Is that the same throughout the open areas of TX?

IIRC, the speed limit is 70 mph on I-30 in TX (until you get near Dallas). Most people don't go more than 5 over in the rural areas.

QUOTE(TheBigHurt35 @ May 20, 2005 -> 08:55 AM)
IIRC, the speed limit is 70 mph on I-30 in TX (until you get near Dallas).  Most people don't go more than 5 over in the rural areas.

Your memory is correct. 70 during the day, 65 at night.

QUOTE(kapkomet @ May 20, 2005 -> 09:01 AM)
5 over my ass in rural areas.

:o

Nah, I understand what you mean.  It's more laid back and less urgency to get to where you need to go.

Slackers.. :rolly

QUOTE(kapkomet @ May 20, 2005 -> 08:01 AM)
5 over my ass in rural areas.

:o

Nah, I understand what you mean.  It's more laid back and less urgency to get to where you need to go.

It's much different than, say, on rural sections of I-65 in Indiana where I'll be going 75 in the right-hand lane (speed limit is 65) and some dickhead will be on my ass every 30 seconds. I absolutely hated that s*** and am glad that I don't have to deal with it anymore.

QUOTE(winodj @ May 20, 2005 -> 12:07 PM)
Garden State Parkway might as well be a NASCAR track. I cruise at 80 and get passed on a regular basis.

I've had the misfortune of experiencing that as well (thankfully, I wasn't driving).

The worst of I've seen is Route 1 just north of Boston. For those not in the know, it's basically a busy road surrounded by businesses (not unlike Rt. 59 in Naperville or Rt. 45 in Orland Park), but with no turn lanes and everyone drives 70.