Expectations on this year's team

Grebeck Fan Club

The next few weeks will tell a lot of the character of this team. We have a big early series at home against the Twins, and we also have a HUGE west coast swing against team that have just kicked our asses in the recent history. If we go out west and get killed again, I will be ready to say same old s***, different year. But if we can go out there and hold our own, playing about .500ish ball or even a game or so worse, I will be ready to talk about expectations.

We're starting off 11-8, 3 games over .500. That's really not too impressive considering we've only played the Tigers, Indians, and Royals (sure the Royals are playing well, but we should be able to beat them). We have 1 more easy series against the Orioles, and then its on to the big guys.

The Twins series should give us a good idea of how much we have really improved from last year and where the Twins are at. We should take no less than 2 out of 3. Then we go out of the division and face the A's and Mariners for the next 12 games.

From what I've seen so far, we've been very inconsistent at times. Our pitching has been pretty good (except for the last two games). D'Lo and Valentin have been very impressive leading off games. When our big guys (Thomas, Maggs, Konerko) start producing more, we should blow our opponents away.

I would expect no less than division champs for the Sox with about 92 wins. The Twins just aren't as competitve as last year, when they put together a fairly magical season. The Royals will fall down to earth by about next month and we should have the division in control for 75% of the season.

I always think the Sox should be in first place from day one. Patience is a virtue and that's what Jerry Manuel always preaches although it frustrates me to no end. It seems that almost every year we struggle early to establish as a contender. We can't dig a hole early and then start playing great after the All-Star break. I just can't figure out why it takes so long for the Sox pitchers, hitters and fielders to get on the same page. We have too much talent not to be there on top at the end of the season. At least we are not playing like the Tigers, but still four games out behind Kansas City? Come on... get fired up.

We have some good surprises and some bad, but if we can start jelling by mid-May we will all be singing the Sox' praises and JM will be a genius. Heck even KW will be. Maybe.

We have some serious holes in the lineup that will become even more apparent as the season gets longer. Two of them I did not expect, namely Garland and Koch. They will continue getting the ball, so they have the potential of burying us. I don't know if Manuel has the gonads to make Koch a mop up guy, but if he blows a couple more games this month, there is trouble in River City. I say this in terms of wins and losses, morale, etc. As an aside, I don't think there is any doubt that Foulke is more dependable than Koch.

At the end of last season I was probably as big a Rowand booster as there is on this board. Not any more. He looks lost at the plate. I don't buy that "still recovering from the dirt bike" routine. If he is sub par either physically or mentally, send him down until he is okay. Rios, for all his early success, is not a big time center fielder. I call center field a big hole in the line up.

And then there is DH. I have felt for two years or so that Frank is done as a big time slugger. I keep hoping that I am wrong, but I don't see it happening with Frank. We will know for sure in six weeks, however. He will continue to play, I am sure. In six weeks he will get about 150 plate appearances or so, and if he is still hitting like he has been so far, then DH will remain a big hole in the lineup. I don't know if Manuel has the gonads to sit Frank for an extended period of time. It lreally hurts the team if he doesn't hit while occupying the three hole in the lineup.

I hope that Garland, Koch, Rowand, and Thomas all prove me wrong. I'll be glad to eat crow if they break out and perform well. Maybe they just need some warm weather.

I like that were winning without Maggs, PK, and Frank doing their thing..... once they get going..... watch out this is going to be a hard team to beat.

Jon Garland and Billy Koch are the only dissapointments pitching wise.....and they bother me..... Koch has looked gawd awful..... and I just hope he's healthy.

Guest hotsoxchick1
We're getting close to the end of month one of the season.  I want to know how everyone feels about the team so far and what they expect of the team come October.  I, for one, won't be satisfied without a serious push in the playoffs.  That's at least getting to the ALCS.

at this point in time.. ill be happy to finish in first and above .500, take the division and make a playoff run.........if i cant have that then ill be happy with above .500......anything less than that ill be pissed as all hell................. :D

This is a team that is deep enough to go deep into the postseason.

We are a powerhouse....yet, rarely strike out. In the postseason....that will work for us, rather than against us....assuming we get there first. I like how deep our bullpen is, and how good our offense is. We have a very strong 1-2 punch....but I'd like to see someone else step up and play a huge role. Thus far....Loaiza has done a damn good job of that. Let's hope it continues throughtout the year. I personally believe Stewart needs a little more seasoning....but has pitched very well. He could be the type of lefty out of the pen that Buehrle was in 2000. Garland will get his s*** together come May....and Wright will hopefully do more than tease us with his possible greatness that he flashed at the end of last year.

That's a lot of hoping....almost too much. Getting to the playoffs is key though....you can't win the World Series if you don't make the playoffs.

Guest hotsoxchick1

We are a powerhouse....yet, rarely strike out.  In the postseason....that will work for us, rather than against us....assuming we get there first.  I like how deep our bullpen is, and how good our offense is.  We have a very strong 1-2 punch....but I'd like to see someone else step up and play a huge role.  Thus far....Loaiza has done a damn good job of that.  Let's hope it continues throughtout the year.  I personally believe Stewart needs a little more seasoning....but has pitched very well.  He could be the type of lefty out of the pen that Buehrle was in 2000.  Garland will get his s*** together come May....and Wright will hopefully do more than tease us with his possible greatness that he flashed at the end of last year. 

That's a lot of hoping....almost too much.  Getting to the playoffs is key though....you can't win the World Series if you don't make the playoffs.

rarely strike out????? which sox team have you been watching this month??????? lol .. carlos alone has 16, thomas has 11, maggs has 11.... we have like around 88 or so on the team as a whole.... thats alot.......im too lazy to see who has the most but im sure you can look it up.. were most likely around the top 5 or so...........our pen has problems and our defense sucks...for the most part.......our offense is starting to show signs of life but im not all that happy with everyone thinking they have to swing for the fences instead of going small ball once in a while............just mho though.........

We are a powerhouse....yet, rarely strike out.  In the postseason....that will work for us, rather than against us....assuming we get there first.  I like how deep our bullpen is, and how good our offense is.  We have a very strong 1-2 punch....but I'd like to see someone else step up and play a huge role.  Thus far....Loaiza has done a damn good job of that.  Let's hope it continues throughtout the year.  I personally believe Stewart needs a little more seasoning....but has pitched very well.  He could be the type of lefty out of the pen that Buehrle was in 2000.  Garland will get his s*** together come May....and Wright will hopefully do more than tease us with his possible greatness that he flashed at the end of last year. 

That's a lot of hoping....almost too much.  Getting to the playoffs is key though....you can't win the World Series if you don't make the playoffs.

rarely strike out????? which sox team have you been watching this month??????? lol .. carlos alone has 16, thomas has 11, maggs has 11.... we have like around 88 or so on the team as a whole.... thats alot.......im too lazy to see who has the most but im sure you can look it up.. were most likely around the top 5 or so...........our pen has problems and our defense sucks...for the most part.......our offense is starting to show signs of life but im not all that happy with everyone thinking they have to swing for the fences instead of going small ball once in a while............just mho though.........

Heh, you're very wrong (about the strikeouts at least).

88 times is correct.

Only the Cardinals and Orioles (wtf?) have less that us. And if you want to go on a per-game basis, we're actually #2 in the league behind only the Orioles. And if Loaiza can repeat his performance from his last game, we could be #1. :)

And shockingly, we're in the middle of the field in terms of LOB too (I guess it just seems like we're leaving 10 guys on base a game :huh:), and we're 10th in baseball in OBP.

Overall, not a horrible start, but we need to get our big guns going soon (I'm getting sick of saying that!).

Also, we've made 12 errors (lower half of baseball, and 1 more than the Yankees), we're in the upper half of DP's turned, and opponents are only 10 of 20 in stealing bases. LOL, the Phillies have allowed 48 SB in only 52 tries!!

Sox pitchers are 7th best in terms of hits allowed, 13th in OBP against, 7th best ERA (3rd in the AL), and 7th in opponents' batting average against.

Those numbers aren't too bad considering we've had our starters and bullpen guys have some REALLY bad games (Koch has had 2 horrible games, and Buehrle and Garland got rocked on Sunday/Monday), and our offense has really struggled so far (Frank and Konerko have yet to get hot).

Things could be better, but they could definitely be worse.

Heh, you're very wrong (about the strikeouts at least).

88 times is correct.

Only the Cardinals and Orioles (wtf?) have less that us. And if you want to go on a per-game basis, we're actually #2 in the league behind only the Orioles. And if Loaiza can repeat his performance from his last game, we could be #1. :)

And shockingly, we're in the middle of the field in terms of LOB too (I guess it just seems like we're leaving 10 guys on base a game :huh:), and we're 10th in baseball in OBP.

Overall, not a horrible start, but we need to get our big guns going soon (I'm getting sick of saying that!).

Also, we've made 12 errors (lower half of baseball, and 1 more than the Yankees), we're in the upper half of DP's turned, and opponents are only 10 of 20 in stealing bases. LOL, the Phillies have allowed 48 SB in only 52 tries!!

Sox pitchers are 7th best in terms of hits allowed, 13th in OBP against, 7th best ERA (3rd in the AL), and 7th in opponents' batting average against.

Those numbers aren't too bad considering we've had our starters and bullpen guys have some REALLY bad games (Koch has had 2 horrible games, and Buehrle and Garland got rocked on Sunday/Monday), and our offense has really struggled so far (Frank and Konerko have yet to get hot).

Things could be better, but they could definitely be worse.

All those number SOUND impressive, but I have four words for you..... Royals, Tigers, Indians, Orioles. Let's see how those numbers look after some games against some of the AL big boys.

its too early to really get a feel for this team..mainly because the competiton has been week...we havent played good baseball so whats the deal with this team...are we gonna get pounded on by the big boys or is this a team that plays down to its competition and turns it on when we play better teams ??....we cant answer that for about 3 weeks

what id like to see at a minimum is 2 of 3 from balt , 2 of 3 from minny and 6 and 6 on the west coast trip....if we have what it takes to compete this year then going 10-8 in our next 18 games shouldnt be a problem...if this happens then ill start thinking i might be a little busy this october with coaching football and playoff baseball :)

My expectations are winning the division.

I guess if we stay over .500 we will not make any managerial changes, but I'd like to see us

start to kick ass as soon as the weather warms consistently.

I guess 2 over .500 is good enough for a while, but if we lose a couple series in late May or June and are

still very close to .500 I'd make a managerial change.

Guest hotsoxchick1

whoever is hot come september is going to take it.. isnt that the way it always works out anyhow...look at the yanks they slack it all the way through till around mid to late august and then pour it on and take over their division..........they get hot at the right time and they win........im not going to get all hyped up about this team just yet.. ill wait and see what the warmer months bring us.. if were still playing this stupid smash ball come july then i would say it safe to assume were not going anywhere.... if our hitters start warming up with the weather and our offense can do something then we will be alright................

BrandoFan's Pre-Season Estimated Win Total Based on Talent and Adjusted for ALC: 99

Current Generously Estimated Win Total based on Performance: 82

Thomas, Konerko, Lee, Crede better step up offensively and put up All-Star numbers and Garland, Koch and Gordon better start throwing career-year style. FAST.