Update on Frank

Ozzie Montana

Guest JimH

Did I mention anything about HR's? No I didn't. I said he was a proven hitter, and you said he isn't because he's only had 3 20 HR seasons, because that's the supposed barometer of what a RF should hit?

Refer me to the baseball manual where all this is written down.

Everett is a proven, professional and dangerous hitter who has had a fairly lengthy career with good hitting numbers.

Did I mention anything about HR's?  No I didn't.  I said he was a proven hitter, and you said he isn't because he's only had 3 20 HR seasons, because that's the supposed barometer of what a RF should hit?

Refer me to the baseball manual where all this is written down.

Everett is a proven, professional and dangerous hitter who has had a fairly lengthy career with good hitting numbers.

He is proven only if MEDIOCRITY is your standard. The truth is he has never been feared, save for his one lights out year in Boston. And tomorrow he'll return to where he belongs.....sitting on the bench.

QUOTE(I-HATE-CREDE @ May 29, 2005 -> 08:42 PM)
Grace was barely a .300 hitter...not .330 and up.  Poor inference on your part.

No, I'm just inferring on your stance that Everett played a position normally occupied by power hitters.

Oh yeah, in his 16 seasons, Grace hit over .300 9 times, 3 of those times at .325 or better. And I can't stand the Cubs.

No, I'm just inferring on your stance that Everett played a position normally occupied by power hitters.

Oh yeah, in his 16 seasons, Grace hit over .300 9 times, 3 of those times at .325 or better.  And I can't stand the Cubs.

There are a plethora of first basemen I would take over Grace from his era. McGuire, Thomas, Bagwell, Palmeiro, Clark, Mo Vaughn, Mattingly. What is Grace's career slugging percentage?

QUOTE(I-HATE-CREDE @ May 29, 2005 -> 08:54 PM)
There are a plethora of first basemen I would take over Grace from his era.  McGuire, Thomas, Bagwell, Palmeiro, Clark, Mo Vaughn, Mattingly.  What is Grace's career slugging percentage?

But ask most fans, even the most biased White Sox fan if he was considered a proven hitter. Better than Frank, I think not. But proven, yes.

Guest JimH
He is proven only if MEDIOCRITY is your standard.  The truth is he has never been feared, save for his one lights out year in Boston.  And tomorrow he'll return to where he belongs.....sitting on the bench.

Let me try a different tact here.

Notwithstanding the fact that you're on post #35 here and you've already managed to get under the skin of 5-6 posters on this site ...

What I said was he was a proven, dangerous hitter (notice I'm not yelling with the caps on). He's an 11 year vet, first of all players don't stay in the league that long if they're not contributing. His career average is probably about .270 - .280 and I believe he's close to 175 HR's. He has about 30 RBI this year so far and I would guess 150 or so at bats.

If you extrapolate that out, which I hate to do but play along ... if Everett gets 450 at bats during the course of the year he'll likely be sitting at 90 rbi. Any guy who gets 90 rbi I would term dangerous, not mediocre.

Now if you're talking about his performance in May 2005, you have below mediocrre. I am not one on this site who magnifies every single game or road trip and condemns players based on solely that. Everett has been around for over 10 years, his historical performance speaks for itself. He's far from done, and far from a run of the mill mediocre player. Those guys are generally out of the league in 5 years.