Interesting note about the Draft

knightni

http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb...t2005&fext=.jsp

Preparation is the mantra for Shaffer and his staff as they prepare for the White Sox's selection in the first round -- 15th overall -- and the many, equally important subsequent picks. The White Sox hold the longest streak without a top-10 pick of any Major League franchise, with the last one being right-handed pitcher Alex Fernandez at No. 4 overall in 1990.

THAT is consistancy folks. :notworthy

That shows what a good front office that the Sox have had, IMO.

QUOTE(He_Gawn @ Jun 1, 2005 -> 05:04 PM)
I'm hoping we find another guy like Gio. I'm really liking him.

Frankly, our draft last year is looking absolutely fantastic, even though the jury is still out on our #1 pick. We did a great job taking advantage of all the supplemental picks we had. Between Gio, Ray Liotta, Wes Whisler, and Tyler Lumsden we immediately solidified our minor league pitching.

And, if Josh Fields and Donald Lucy work out it will end up a draft to remember. The key here isn't even whether these guys ever succeed for us in the Major Leagues. The key is that these guys have given us big time assets.

For that reason, I am excited to see what we do this year.

QUOTE(thomsonmi @ Jun 2, 2005 -> 10:30 AM)
For that reason, I am excited to see what we do this year.

It's going to be a lot harder to have as good of a draft this year with no supp or 2nd round picks. Lumsden is still a question mark. Liotta, Whisler, and Gio all look like they are going to be due for promotions sometime this year. All great picks.

QUOTE(danman31 @ Jun 2, 2005 -> 10:19 AM)
It's going to be a lot harder to have as good of a draft this year with no supp or 2nd round picks.

Agreed. Yet, still, there are real positive signs regarding our scouting department and though I don't expect this year to bring us the same quantity of quality players I do expect us to do well with the picks we have.