Sox SARS preparations

southsider2k5

In an effort to limit exposure to SARS during their visit to Toronto in late May, the White Sox plan to spend a lot of time at the SkyDome, which doubles as the ballpark and team hotel.

"We can still go to restaurants and different things," Frank Thomas said. "Everything's right there."

But that won't be enough of a precaution against severe acute respiratory syndrome for at least one member of the Sox's traveling party.

Radio analyst Ed Farmer, whose immune system was weakened by a kidney transplant in 1991, plans to stay in Chicago. Farmer consulted with two of his physicians before informing Sox broadcasting chief Bob Grim.

"I don't think we really have a grasp on this," Farmer said. "If they find a way where it would not be communicable, I'll go."

Sox players, though, seem content to take their cue from baseball's medical personnel and team trainer Herm Schneider. He'll participate in a conference call Thursday with Elliot Pellman, baseball's medical liaison, and the 10 head trainers of the teams scheduled to play in Toronto before the All-Star break.

Schneider already has consulted with Pellman and U.S. Surgeon General Richard Carmona, a friend of Schneider's.

Both recommended that Sox players wash their hands frequently, limit interaction with fans and avoid seedy restaurants and nightclubs.

"Go to good places to eat," Schneider said. "Or instead of going out after the game, maybe order room service. Limit how much you're out and about."

They also told Schneider not to be alarmed, given that the Toronto Maple Leafs and Raptors have played without incident.

"If you think about how many people are in Canada and how many people have SARS, it's minuscule," Schneider said.

Paul Konerko, who said Toronto is one of his favorite trips, was asked about precautions.

"Who's to say where and when you catch something like that?" he said. "What if you stay in and order room service and the [server] has it? Is that really avoiding it? Who's to say the person that stayed in the hotel room before you didn't have it?

"I'm just going to go out as usual and roll the dice."

Farmer will not be so bold. He already takes precautions, such as washing his hands several times a day with antibacterial soap and avoiding excessive contact with the public.

"Their immune system is different from mine," Farmer said of the players. "They're up and running. Mine has been compromised by medicine."

Guest hotsoxchick1

wow hadnt thought about that much lately.........good thing to see they are going to try to do what they can to be safe............hey mat you didnt bring that stuff down with ya when you came did ya?????? :o

wow hadnt thought about that much lately.........good thing to see they are going to try to do what they can to be safe............hey mat you didnt bring that stuff down with ya when you came did ya?????? :o

umm..hsc..matt is farther away from toronto then we are :o

the angels GM says he doesnt want the angels going to toronto..he has asked the league that they switch the series from toroto to anaheim then in august when toronto was suppose to come to anaheim they can go play there if this thing is under control..

should be interesting to see if mlb honours his request

Kevin Appier has said that he doesn't want to go up there either. The interesting thing I read in the paper about SARS today was they raised the expected death rate to about 7.5% or about 1 in 13 people. The other interesting thing about it was that only about half the people who get SARS recover from it according to the stats. I am not quite sure what happens to them, but I really appreciate the fact that no one wants to be exposed to it. Keep our boys safe!!

Guest hotsoxchick1

yeah kinda makes for some boring nites huh steff..........lol... ive seen some of them in action in cleveland in the flats and ill tell ya what.. they are either going to play their asses off with all that pent up frustration or they will suck cause they have all that pent up frustration lol........ :D ...baggs do you think that mlb will actually let anaheim off that easily.. if the sox are willing to go and other teams have already gone they will be loading up that plane too and on their way.............

Having survived two near fatal illnesses ( in 96 and 00 ) I can tell you first hand that medicine is a lot more of an art than it is a science no matter what our doctor may tell you. I've spent some time trying to gather as much info on SARS as possible. I'm more than a little concerned. Anybody study the 1918 flu epidemic? Any medical people post here? In any case the news is getting a little worse with each passing day. I could see the cost being astronomical not only in terms of human life but economically as well. The airlines and travel industries are going to take a big hit when they need it least and some businesses in Asia are already slowing to a crawl. Hope they find a better treatment fast. Also, I agree with PK, there is no real good way to protect yourself from this. From all indications the virus is airborne and is fairly to highly contagious. Not everybody seems to get affected which is one good sign.

yeah kinda makes for some boring nites huh steff..........lol... ive seen some of them in action in cleveland in the flats and ill tell ya what.. they are either going to play their asses off with all that pent up frustration or they will suck cause they have all that pent up frustration lol........ :D ...baggs do you think that mlb will actually let anaheim off that easily.. if the sox are willing to go and other teams have already gone they will be loading up that plane too and on their way.............

that would be our luck...everything that can go wrong with this team does when its a contender..in '83 it was dybinski..in '94 the strike..'97 the white flag trade...in '01 shouldergate..in '02 ritchiegate (not to mention clayton both years)...SARS will probably kill the '03 season :huh:

Farmer will not be so bold. He already takes precautions, such as washing his hands several times a day with antibacterial soap and avoiding excessive contact with the public.

Sounds like Farmio is using his kidney transplant as an excuse for OCD..... Obsessive Compulsive Disorder.

That hotel at the park is pretty neat. You could watch the game from your room, the hard rock cafe sits in center field, I've watched a game from there, something to do once I think, I'm a pureist for the actual seats. I can think of some seedy places to go in T.O. but not many would I or pro ball players frequent........ ;)

That hotel at the park is pretty neat.  You could watch the game from your room, the hard rock cafe sits in center field, I've watched a game from there, something to do once I think, I'm a pureist for the actual seats.  I can think of some seedy places to go in T.O. but not many would I or pro ball players frequent........ ;)

We stayed at the Skydome hotel for a few nights of our honeymoon. It was a great place to stay. There is some great food in that area too.