Clayton Richard

He_Gawn

Played for McCutcheon high school in Indiana. It is 20 minutes from here and we just played them tonight in a summer ball game.... Man they are terrible now but that is beside the point.

This kid is a lefty with an average 88-94 MPH fastball and had a above average curveball before taking off a year to play football at Michigan. Not sure if its still the same but I'm sure he will get it back sometime. In the papers I hear he is GUARANTEED to sign this year because he does not want to attend college or play football anymore. His team won the Indiana state championship (4A) in 2003 I believe. A true Gamer.

Ya, he was supposed to be one of the better baseball prospects before giving up the game for football. Has a nice arm and obviously its low mileage. He's definately raw and thats good info on him wanting to play baseball (Sox usually do a good job drafting guys that want to sign).

They just talked to him live from his home on my local news station and they said hes really excited and figured the Sox would draft him because he played on a summer team affiliated with the Sox when he was in high school. Said he's hoping for a call tonight about where he's headed in the system.

Note on Richard from BA:

Tuesday, 5:22 PM: White Sox Take Another Gridiron Star

by John Manuel

The White Sox nabbed a quarterback for the second straight year. They took Oklahoma State's Josh Fields in the first round last year, and grabbed Michigan lefthander Clayton Richard in the seventh round this year. Richard, a draft-eligible sophomore, was an all-state baseball selection in high school in Indiana, but went to Michigan on a football scholarship. He was in the competition to start at quarterback last fall, but took his low-90s velocity from the left side to the mound when he lost the QB job to freshman Chad Henne.

i would like to give congrats to the whitesox on their 8th round selection of michigan LHP clayton richard.

richard went to HS with my younger brothers in lafayette,IN and is one hell of a pitcher. the guy played 4 years varsity in HS in 3 sports(football, basketball, and baseball).

richard was originally a top QB prospect and was the top QB prospect in the midwest when he was a senior. he originally went to michigan on a football scholarship but left the team to concentrate on baseball after this past season because of being behind henne.

the kid is a great athlete and was also a 4.0 student in HS. I really thought he had a very bright future in football ever since i saw him breaking state records as a freshman QB at McCutcheon HS but alas it was not to be( as a michigan fan i was thrilled when he signed).

anyway congrats sox fans(im a cub fan) you not only got a lefty with a ton of talent but you got a kid who is a great person as well.