Freedom Fries to Iraq Timetable

Soxy

Linky

I'm amazed that this guy has written all those letters of condolance to the families. That's incredible.

US lawmaker of 'freedom fries' fame turns against Iraq war

Sun Jun 12, 5:31 PM ET

WASHINGTON (AFP) - A prominent lawmaker who prompted cafeterias in the US Congress to change the name of their french fries to "freedom fries" in anger over France's opposition to the

Iraq war, has now turned against the conflict and wants a firm schedule on the withdrawal of US troops.

Representative Walter Jones (news, bio, voting record), a North Carolina Republican, has written more than 1,300 letters of condolence to the families of soldiers killed in Iraq and will introduce legislation this week calling for a firm timetable on the withdrawal of US troops, ABC's "This Week" said Sunday.

"This is what I believe is the right thing to do for our military first; and secondly, I think we are doing everything we can do in Iraq to give them an opportunity to have a democracy, to defend themselves," Jones told ABC.

President George W. Bush's administration has refused to set a timetable on withdrawing its forces from the war-torn country.

Asked about his change of heart on the war, Jones said he had attended two years ago the funeral of soldier, a married father of three, who was killed in Iraq. "That really has been on my mind and my heart ever since."

He added: "When I look at the number of men and women who have been killed -- it's almost 1,700 now, in addition to close to 12,000 have been severely wounded -- and I just feel that the reason of going in for weapons of mass destruction, the ability of the Iraqis to make a nuclear weapon, that's all been proven that it was never there."

"And my heart aches, quite frankly," Jones told ABC.

In March 2003, just before the US-led invasion in Iraq, Representative Bob Ney (news, bio, voting record), chairman of the committee on House Administration, ordered that the term "french fries" be removed from all restaurant menus in the three House office buildings and replaced with freedom fries.

Jones joined Ney in taking the action, issuing a joint statement saying: "This action today is a small, but symbolic effort to show the strong displeasure of many on Capitol Hill with the actions of our so-called ally, France."

Yes, considering that in many cases even the signature from our Commander in Chief and SecDef were stamped, it is quite impressive that he's written some 1300 letters.

And extremely sad.

(Side note...he's also said he regretted his part in the Freedom Fries idiocy)

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Jun 13, 2005 -> 01:40 PM)
(Side note...he's also said he regretted his part in the Freedom Fries idiocy)

A lot of good people were hoodwinked. Sad that when you realize you were sold a phony bill of goods and suggest maybe we went to war for erroneous reasons you are invariably going to be accused of hating America.

QUOTE(LowerCaseRepublican @ Jun 13, 2005 -> 01:59 PM)
Which begs the statement Flaxx, Why do Congressional anti-war Republicans hate America so much?"  :lol:

For the same reasons Jimmy Carter, Mel Martinez and others hate America when they suggest Gitmo has become a problem, of course.

Yes, it must be nice to live in such a simple world of absolutes. If you're not with us, you're against us and you hate America. If you think there may be some possibility we have miscalculated in the runup to war and thereafter, you are against us and you hate America. If you excercise your constitutional right to free speech but say something critical of the war or the Administration, you are against us and hate America.

Hey, that is easy.

QUOTE(FlaSoxxJim @ Jun 13, 2005 -> 01:28 PM)
For the same reasons Jimmy Carter, Mel Martinez and others hate America when they suggest Gitmo has become a problem, of course.

Yes, it must be nice to live in such a simple world of absolutes.  If you're not with us, you're against us and you hate America.  If you think there may be some possibility we have miscalculated in the runup to war and thereafter, you are against us and you hate America.  If you excercise your constitutional right to free speech but say something critical of the war or the Administration, you are against us and hate America.

Hey, that is easy.

It sure as Hell beats thinking. :lol:

I get reminded of the old quote from Senator Jordan in the 1962 classic "The Manchurian Candidate" -- "I despise John Iselin and everything that Iselin-ism has come to stand for. I think if John Iselin were a paid Soviet agent, he could not do more to harm this country than he's doing now."

Just substitute in the Bush administration for Iselin and terrorist in for Soviet agent and we have a pretty accurate quote for the current times.

Asked about his change of heart on the war, Jones said he had attended two years ago the funeral of soldier, a married father of three, who was killed in Iraq. "That really has been on my mind and my heart ever since."

You fool, don't take into account the human interest side of the story! How irresponsible

p.s. I hate America