Ozzie may have something new in store for El Duque

Jabroni

http://rotoworld.com/content/playerpages/p...=149499&id=6019

Latest News  Jun. 21, 2005 - 8:26 am et

When Orlando Hernandez (shoulder) returns from the disabled list, the White Sox may keep him fresh by skipping his turn in the rotation when off days permit.

''I don't like to do that, but if we have to do that to keep our pitching staff fresh and healthy, then we might do it,'' manager Ozzie Guillen said. ''Right now, in the middle of the season, we have to think about what we are doing in August and September.''

Source:  Daily Southtown

http://www.dailysouthtown.com/southtown/ds.../pro/211sd2.htm

Sox Notebook

Guillen may have something new in store for Hernandez

Tuesday, June 21, 2005

By Joe Cowley

Staff writer

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

An idea that White Sox manager Ozzie Guillen and pitching coach Don Cooper flirted with in late May could come to fruition.

Even when injured pitcher Orlando Hernandez is set to return from the 15-day disabled list, he might not be returning to the same situation.

While he will likely be inserted back into the starting rotation, the Sox will do whatever it takes to protect the 35-year-old veteran, even if it means skipping Hernandez or pushing back his starts at times.

"That's our job," Guillen said Monday. "I don't like to do that, but if we have to do that to keep our pitching staff fresh and healthy, then we might do it. Right now, in the middle of the season, we have to think about what we are doing in August and September.

"You win pennant races if the players stay in good shape and are physically and mentally ready to go every day."

The Sox were forced to call up Brandon McCarthy from Triple-A Charlotte on Sunday after Hernandez, who originally told Guillen he could start Monday despite a sore right shoulder, changed his mind.

For the second time in the last month, the sore shoulder has landed Hernandez on the DL. He had a partial tear of the rotator cuff in that shoulder in 2003, which forced him to miss the entire season.

Hernandez's back and forth did not sit well with general manager Ken Williams, who hinted Hernandez might not have a starting job when he returns from the DL.

"The kid (McCarthy) has a chance to make a mark for himself," Williams said Sunday. "This is the big leagues. We aren't going to sit around and play guessing games from week to week."

Guillen said Williams was obviously frustrated.

"I can see Kenny's frustration," Guillen said. "We finish up one meeting (with Hernandez) and all of a sudden, two minutes later, he changes his mind. That's why everyone was (upset).

"We wanted a straight answer. Unfortunately, his arm is tight or tired. But I want him to understand our situation. We want the best for him and we want the best for this team. We are not here to rehab. We are not here to see what's going to happen. We are here to win games every day."

Edited by Jabroni

QUOTE(mmmmmbeeer @ Jun 21, 2005 -> 02:14 PM)
I really don't want to see the Sox improve El Duque's health at the expense of our 4 other starters.

I'm not against carrying 6 guys and dumping Timo's ass. Oh wait, nevermind...

:lol:

/I'm kidding

BMac needs the work - I know that.

We tried using Mr. Offday as a starter early in the season last year when we had Buehrle, Loaiza, Garland and Schoenwies. (sp?). I didn't like it.

Our guys really started to seem like they were wearing down after a few weeks of that. Late June/July it really seemed to take its toll...even though guys might not like the extra day of rest you get with the offday, it certainly seems that it helps keep people fresher.

I'd be particularly worried about Garcia and Contreras if we did this...both of them are either older or have had some arm problems in the recent past. Those 2 are the ones I think have benefited the most from us having 5 regular starting pitchers.