*Official 2005 World Series of Poker Thread*

Not sure if anyone else is following it online but if they are I figured we could use a thread for discussion. I know we have some poker players/fans on here but I haven't read any topics on the WSOP.

Two sites that I have been using to get some pretty good updates is Cardplayer.com and Poker Pages. Today is Day 3 and there are approx. 575 players remaining.

I'll spare any name dropping since there maybe alot of you who watch it on ESPN and don't care to discuss the winners/losers.

P.S. I don't consider Poker a sport but it is shown on ESPN so if this should be moved by all means go ahead and do so...

Since we aren't dropping names, it is kinda hard to discuss things.

It does seem that players are being ULTRA aggressive though. I can't believe the number of all-in's and players that are already gone. In my eyes, the point of the first few rounds is just survival and then once you are in the money, make your move. Don't risk it all without a premium hand. Don't get involved in pots with an A-2 and risk being busted on a higher kicker. Just fold it and wait. The blinds and Ante's weren't high enough at that point since there were 10 players at a table and you would get to see 9 deals before you get hit with the big blind again. Waiting for a hand does suck, but it's worse to be knocked out with a marginal hand.

I guess so many people see Gus Hansen play that way they think they can too.

Do you think another Amateur is gonna win it? I do.

I would be happy making the final table though...Instant Millionaire.

QUOTE(SAVVY18 @ Jul 11, 2005 -> 08:29 AM)
Since we aren't dropping names, it is kinda hard to discuss things. 

Well I guess we could drop names...........................I'm just trying to be courteous!

Yeah I can't believe how many people are out after two days. Granted, I think the levels are getting moved up slightly faster than last year, forcing more agressive play.

Odds are in the favor of amateurs since about 75-80% of the field is exactly that....

I was suprised how a few of the pros busted out right before their first day ended. I would be hard pressed to have 35,000 in chips and put all my chips in the pot right before the level ended. But I guess your mentality has to be strike while the iron is hot. :huh

On Cardplayer they were interviewing one of the amateurs who had a relatively large stack. They ask him how he brought in his chips. And all he really said was he had quads three times on day 1. I think I get quads about 3 times a year :huh: Luck plays such a huge part, although I would like to see a pro or two at the final table. Especially since alot of my favorite players are still alive.

Edited by Chisoxrd5

I'd really like to see one of the grizzled veterans or top pros (don't know who's left, but I'm talking about guys like Brunson, Cloutier, Ivey, Ferguson, etc.) win this tournament to stop the flood of amatuers and youngsters a bit. It's gotten to the point where the top players don't stand much of a chance to win. I'd like to see a tiered entry setup where previous champs and top pros could get a pass to day 2 or 3. I'd think the TV ratings would be a bit better if you got to see the top guys battle it out as opposed to one pro and a bunch of no names.

QUOTE(Soxnbears01 @ Jul 11, 2005 -> 09:56 AM)
I have a question, can anyone get into the tournament? as long as they have the 10k to buy in of course.

Yup...anyone can play...just pony up the dough.

The winner is going to take home 7.5 Million and everyone at the final table (the last nine) will recieve a million or more.

I think they were going to cap the entries at 6600 this year, but I think the final count was 5629 entries or something like that.

QUOTE(Soxnbears01 @ Jul 11, 2005 -> 10:56 AM)
I have a question, can anyone get into the tournament? as long as they have the 10k to buy in of course.

Yeah, that's why there are so many people. Qualifying might help a bit, maybe a earnings qualifier with a couple of play ins. I'm really sick of seeing some of these guys get so far, like Moneymaker, Varkoni or Mattias Anderson. I saw those guys win so many races, many when they were not favored and on their way out, it was disgusting. I know everyone needs to have some luck, but I don't remember Rayner having anywhere near as many as those guys, and the pros seem to be victimized in those situations quite a bit.

Edited by ZoomSlowik

QUOTE(SoxFan1 @ Jul 11, 2005 -> 01:05 PM)
Is it already on TV!?!?!?!? I had no clue. My money is on one of the young guys this year.

No. Coverage starts on July 19th for the more minor tournaments. The coverage for the final event doesn't start until like October. However, the main event has started, and if you look you can find updated standings.

QUOTE(SAVVY18 @ Jul 11, 2005 -> 11:19 PM)
A family friend won a seat to the main event on-line and he was still in it as of this morning, but I just saw that he busted out.  But he did win just over $21K.  Not bad for an amateur.

:notworthy

QUOTE(SAVVY18 @ Jul 11, 2005 -> 11:19 PM)
A family friend won a seat to the main event on-line and he was still in it as of this morning, but I just saw that he busted out.  But he did win just over $21K.  Not bad for an amateur.

Wow...good for him :cheers that would be quite the experience!

As for the tourney I can't believe its already down to 185 players! :huh:

i don't really follow poker all that much even though it's everywhere on TV. I've watched it enough to recognize a few names and after 5 days..i only recognized 3 or 4 in the top 20. i don't know if it's still early or what but i was somewhat surprised by that.

juddling

QUOTE(NUKE_CLEVELAND @ Jul 12, 2005 -> 04:33 AM)
Any Chappelle Show fans around here? 

I loved that skit where they had "The World Series of Dice".  That was funny as all hell and more interesting than watching guys play cards on TV.

I remember that lol. :lolhitting

1246_m.jpg