Doug Jones

southsider2k5

now of course Bizet's best is Carmen but to remember everything he wrote ...

mfiles music files

Amazon.com

Amazon.com

Shop Now! Best of the Millennium

Tomaso Giovanni Albinoni Shop Now! The Best Classical Album...

Stanley Myers

mfiles sheet music

www.mfiles.co.uk 5 May 3903

Home Classical Other Styles Original Sheet Music MIDI MP3 Film Music Composers Reviews

Composer

Back

Click Here!

Georges Bizet (1838 - 1875)

Geores Bizet is best known for his operatic masterpiece, Carmen. Not so well known is the fact that he died from a heart attack only a few months after its first performance at the age of 36. Death at such a young age immediately reminds us of Mozart, Mendelssohn and Schubert. His life parallels these composers also in the sense that he was yet another musical prodigy whose ability, encouraged by his musical parents, was exceptional. Despite being against the rules, he was admitted into the Paris Conservatory at the phenomenal age of 9! He was born in Paris and originally registered under the name Alexandre César Léopold Bizet, but then baptised as Georges by which name he was always to be known. With the exception of a few years in Rome, he stayed in or near Paris for most of his life.

At the Conservatory he studied under many great musicians including professor Jacques Halévy. The Halévy family were to have quite an impact on Bizet's life, not least the fact that he was later to marry the professor's daughter Geneviéve and father a son Jaques, perhaps named after his grandfather. Continuing his precocious youth, he composed his first Symphony (in C) at age 17 (modelled closely on Gounod's Symphony No. 1 in D). Then in 1957 having previously won several prizes at the Conservatoire, he won the prestigious Prix de Rome.

The comtemporary French composers of the day which influenced Bizet to varying degrees included Charles Gounod, Léo Delibes, Camille Saint-Saëns, Jules Massenet and the German born Jacques Offenbach. All of these were opera composers to some extent though often light or comic opera. In comparison, Bizet's operas and particularly Carmen tended to stand out as highly dramatic and dealing in deeper emotions. Though not straying too far from French traditions, he perhaps adopted some of the styles of Italian and German opera from Verdi and Wagner respectively. While he did make use of the newly invented Saxophone, he wasn't particularly known as a trend-setter. He seemed to change direction several times, dropping ideas that he had started, and seemingly insecure and sensitive to criticism. Although perhaps expected of artists, the public probably thought of him as something of a Bohemian outsider. Musically, he seemed to have a natural gift for melody and certain artistic confidence seems to flow from his music.

When the Franco-Prussian war broke out in 1870, although exempt from national service as a Priz de Rome winner, Bizet nevertheless enlisted in the National Guard. Although many of his coutrymen and fellow musicians were highly nationlistic in their approach to the war, Bizet was far more down-to-earth in his understanding of the real horrors of war. Again we see a realism in his outlook on life which also manifested itself in his operatic story-telling.

Major works by Bizet

Above all Bizet aspired to be a composer of Opera, though his numerous (about 30 in total) works for that medium weren't universally successful. He also wrote various Orchestral works, keyboard pieces and songs. The following are his best known or most respected compositions:

* Opera - The Pearl Fishers, set in exotic Ceylon (now Sri Lanka), with a famous duet for male voices

* Opera - The Fair Maid of Perth

* Opera - Djamileh

* Opera - Carmen, in 4 acts, the most famous which we describe in more detail below. Orchestral suites from this opera are sometimes performed as stand-alone works in the concert hall.

* Symphony in C - composed at age 17, this was not performed until 1935

* Rome Suite - orchestral suite intended as a Symphony

* L'Arlésienne - (the girl from Arles, in Provence) this was originally composed for a limited group of instruments as incidental music to a play by Daudet, but later fashioned into 2 orchestral suites (including the well-known Farandole), the first suite by Bizet himself and the second after his death by a friend Ernest Guiraud

* Chromatic Variations - for piano

* Jeux d'Enfants (Children's Games) - for piano duet, but also sometimes heard in orchestral arrangements, "Trumpet and Drum" for example is simply begging to be arranged for Trumpet and Drum

Jeux d'Enfants for piano duet is a delightful set of 12 pieces, each based on a different game (many still familiar today), including "The Swing", "The Top", "The Doll", "Wooden Horses", "Battledore and Shuttlecock", "Trumpet and Drum", "Soap Bubbles", "Puss in the Corner", "Blind Man's Bluff", "Leap Frog", "Little Husband, Little Wife", and "The Ball". All of these are great fun to play and as a sample, in our customary Sheet Music, MIDI and MP3 formats, we include La Toupie (The Top) and La Poupée (The Doll).

Bizet's Carmen

It is perhaps difficult to appreciate the affect that Carmen had on the music scene. It wasn't an immediate success with audiences, its subject matter being considered a touch scandalous. But its popularity increased after Bizet's death and has remained a firm favourite to this day. It is far removed from the stylised traditions of classical opera. Instead it is full of powerful passions, realistic in its depiction of events, and originally including spoken dialogue instead of recitative (sung speach) as was the custom. You might even say that it anticipated the gritty story-telling of the 20th century's film and TV media. The libretto was provided Henri Meilhac and Ludovic Halévy (another member of the Halévy family, Geneviéve's cousin). Bizet's music for Carmen is full of exciting rhythyms and orchestral colours. (Interestingly, though the music is sometimes criticised for not being authentically Spanish, it was later discovered that Bizet had unwittingly borrowed the Habañera theme from a Spanish composer, thinking that it was a traditional piece.)

The story is based on a short novel by Prosper Mérimée about a Spanish gypsy. Carmen is one of the girls working in a cigarette factory. She seduces a soldier Don José, then dumps him for a Matador, Escamillo. Enraged, Don José murders Carmen. Among the familiar songs from Carmen we have the March of the Street Urchins, the Wooing Song, Habañera, the Letter Song, the Flower Song and who doesn't know the Toreador's Song? In 1943, Oscar Hammerstein II adapted Bizet's opera for the stage, calling it Carmen Jones. He kept the main storyline and the music, but changed the setting and lyrics considerably (remember "Beat out dat Rhythym on a Drum"?) by trasporting it into the American South. The film version of the musical starred Harry Belafonte as Joe (the Don José character), Dorothy Dandridge as Carmen now working in a WWII parachute factory and Joe Adams as Husky Miller, now a boxing champion.

Recommendations:

The full Jeux d'Enfants for piano duet is highly recommended and is available in a number of editions and arrangements such as this one from Sheet Music Plus in the US. Also available from Sheet Music Plus is a large variety of tunes from carmen arranged for various instruments and this piano arrangement of the music from l'Arlesienne. As you might imagine the french music publisher di-arezzo.com has a lot of Sheet Music by Bizet, and this box search box will help you find it:

Search www.di-arezzo.com

Amazon.com

cover Pavarotti's Opera Made Easy-My Favou...

Georges Bizet

New $5.70!

cover The Top 100 Masterpieces of Classica...

Felix Mendelssohn

New $12.83!

Used $6.99!

cover The Most Famous Opera Arias

Giuseppe Verdi

New $2.84!

cover 40 Famous Marches

Edward Elgar

New $12.83!

cover 25 Classical Favorites

Wolfgang Amadeus M...

New $2.49!

cover Andrea Bocelli - The Opera Album ~ A...

Giuseppe Verdi

New $13.55!

Used $7.75!

(Prices May Change) Privacy Information

Home Classical Other Styles Original Sheet Music MIDI MP3 Film Music Composers Reviews

FAQ

BACK All material in mfiles is copyright © 1999-2001 Jim Paterson. All rights reserved. SEARCH

• Replies 339
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

CWSOX....Is it me or has there been a devastating decline in the castrato voice market lately?

For shame.

it would be you

the revival of Handel's operas and all baroque operas has given rise to a new generation of male counter tenors and sopranos

Yahoo!

Groups Home - Yahoo! - Help

Welcome, westchamp1 Start a Group - My Groups - Account Info - Sign Out

castratiandcountertenors · castrati and countertenors - A place for modern Castrati, Countertenors + fans [ Join This Group! ]

Click Here!

Home

Members Only

Chat

Files

Photos

Links

Database

Members

Calendar

Promote

Messages Messages Help

Expand Messages

Using 1.6 of 512 MB (0%)

112-141 of 664 | Previous | Next [ First | Last ]

Msg # Date | Thread

Subject Name/Email Yahoo! ID Date Size

112 Hi everybody :{)!! eliezerabello eliezerabello Sat 1/12/2002 1 KB

113 Re: Hi everybody :{)!! davidzechman davidzechman Mon 1/14/2002 2 KB

114 Re: Hi everybody :{)!! eliezerabello eliezerabello Mon 1/14/2002 1 KB

115 Derek's mp3 eliezerabello eliezerabello Fri 1/18/2002 1 KB

116 counter tenor lessons Kapiti_plain Kapiti_plain Thu 1/24/2002 1 KB

117 Re: counter tenor lessons eliezerabello eliezerabello Thu 1/24/2002 1 KB

118 Re: counter tenor lessons Kapiti_plain Kapiti_plain Thu 1/24/2002 1 KB

119 Re: Male Sopranos davidzechman davidzechman Fri 1/25/2002 2 KB

120 Re: Male Sopranos erzebetuk erzebetuk Fri 1/25/2002 2 KB

121 Re: Male Sopranos erzebetuk erzebetuk Fri 1/25/2002 1 KB

122 Re: Male Sopranos erzebetuk erzebetuk Fri 1/25/2002 1 KB

123 Re: Male Sopranos real_kael real_kael Sun 1/27/2002 2 KB

124 Re: Male Sopranos davidzechman davidzechman Sun 1/27/2002 2 KB

125 listen to this, tell me what U think Kapiti_plain Kapiti_plain Mon 1/28/2002 1 KB

126 New Member kf85234 kf85234 Wed 1/30/2002 1 KB

127 Re: New Member erzebetuk erzebetuk Thu 1/31/2002 2 KB

128 Looking for countertenors/teachers! sunshineboy_dave sunshineboy_dave Thu 1/31/2002 1 KB

129 Difficult question felicesalimbeni2002 felicesalimbeni2002 Wed 2/6/2002 2 KB

130 Re: Difficult question baroquesmguy baroquesmguy Wed 2/6/2002 2 KB

131 Re: Difficult question takooda takooda Wed 2/6/2002 2 KB

132 Re: Difficult question horvalis horvalis Wed 2/6/2002 2 KB

133 Hot topic felicesalimbeni2002 felicesalimbeni2002 Wed 2/6/2002 2 KB

134 Re: Difficult question mph061 mph061 Wed 2/6/2002 3 KB

135 Re: Difficult question horvalis horvalis Wed 2/6/2002 2 KB

136 Re: Difficult question horvalis horvalis Wed 2/6/2002 2 KB

137 Re: Difficult question erzebetuk erzebetuk Wed 2/6/2002 2 KB

138 Re: Difficult question erzebetuk erzebetuk Wed 2/6/2002 1 KB

139 Re: Difficult question davidzechman davidzechman Thu 2/7/2002 4 KB

140 Re: Difficult question erzebetuk erzebetuk Thu 2/7/2002 2 KB

141 Volume? felicesalimbeni2002 felicesalimbeni2002 Thu 2/7/2002 2 KB

112-141 of 664 | Previous | Next [ First | Last ]

Msg # Date | Thread

Expand Messages Using 1.6 of 512 MB (0%)

Copyright © 2003 Yahoo! Inc. All rights reserved.

Privacy Policy - Terms of Service - Copyright Policy - Guidelines - Help - Ad Feedback

.i was actually waiting for him to go off on a tirade so i can lmao some more

What, you mean you don't think vicious castrating money-hungry homosexual feminists who drive minivans with tiny exhaust pipes are destroying the fabric of society?

For shame, HSC. For shame!

I think there are some things that should be kept private, and anyone who brags about how much he/she makes is very, very tacky. 

and most likely a liar....If Internet boards are to be believed, average penis size is 8.5 inches and every third male was a Heisman-caliber football player back in the day when his career was ended by a knee injury. And so on.

I stand bah dem sentiments.

should i just stay out of this conversatoin now?????  :huh:  lol

Hey my love!

The opera we saw was Susannah by Carlisle Floyd and it was one of my personal highlights in 2002 taking you -

you know me, when the overload button goes on, I start talking opera - and I have only just begun to post opera stuff! The more these threads become personal vendettas and vicious between a few people, the louder I want to sing opera - :lol:

you and I make such sweet music together! let's go on tour! We can begin by saluting KW's departure with the Hallelujah chorus!

you know me, when the overload button goes on, I start talking opera - and I have only just begun to post opera stuff! The more these threads become personal vendettas and vicious between a few people, the louder I want to sing opera -

Why you operah loving commie peacenik...

Guest hotsoxchick1

that opera was the best.. i loved it and it held my attention span so it must have been good...lol........you know how i cant sit still for 5 minutes......we can go on tour and sing the praises of kw gone......im so happy tonite...........this news is ALMOST as good as a nite of quality sex................ ;) :o

Why you operah loving commie peacenik...

besides seasons tickets to the Sox and UM football, also have them for the Lyric Opera - and I will be attending one-half of all of Eminem's 2003 concerts too - I have a wide range of interests :headbang :D

that opera was the best.. i loved it and it held my attention span so it must have been good...lol........you know how i cant sit still for 5 minutes......we can go on tour and sing the praises of kw gone......im so happy tonite...........this news is ALMOST as good as a nite of quality sex................ ;)  :o

hey keep me and (you know who) in your prayers - there is a real shot of a reunion - we used to have some great sex while watching the games - and damn it, it's time! I'm ready to play! :headbang :lol:

Guest hotsoxchick1
hey keep me and (you know who)  in your prayers - there is a real shot of a reunion - we used to have some great sex while watching the games - and damn it, it's time!  I'm ready to play!  :headbang  :lol:

i really need to take more play time..........im due for a vacation soon....... ;)

hey keep me and (you know who) in your prayers - there is a real shot of a reunion - we used to have some great sex while watching the games - and damn it, it's time! I'm ready to play!

My respect for you just went up a notch or two...You go, boy!

its fine if they are gay but i wouldnt want to hear about any of it in the locker room.

who would you be afraid of being attracted to?

noone its just i dont really want to hear about a guy talk about how hot a guy is and explain how he did it in the butt. thats to much info for me to hear from someone.

Guest hotsoxchick1

explain how he did it in the butt. thats to much info for me to hear from someone

oh but it would be ok for you to brag on how you did a chick in the butt huh.......double standards huh.......... :o

its fine if they are gay but i wouldnt want to hear about any of it in the locker room.

who would you be afraid of being attracted to?

What a completely baseless argument.

what's baseless?

What is it about some men thhat they think that their sexual allure is so strong it attracts every female and also males? Do they think they are God's gifts to everyone?

Are they afraid of being looked at the same they look at women - as meat to be f***ed? Are they afraid that a honest inquiry couldn;t end in a quiet "no'? Is it their fear that no one will come to them and thus destroy their myth of their own irresitibility? Is it that people fear in tohers what they are afraid of in themselves?

A person totally secure in their own self would not have any misgivings about a locker room situation because their own identity is so secure. And besides - you are sharing locker rooms with gays right now and have no idea because no one has objectified you or made a move on you. And they won't.

im not affraid of gay people i know im not gay. i just really dont want to hear about what they did the night before.

My respect for you just went up a notch or two...You go, boy!

there is never a need to choose between watching the Sox and having sex - it is easy to do both - and there was never a night when, regardless of what the Sox did, they we didn't go extra innings - now that is enough information

explain how he did it in the butt. thats to much info for me to hear from someone

oh but it would be ok for you to brag on how you did a chick in the butt huh.......double standards huh.......... :o

ummm yes? Hes straight einstein.

im not affraid of gay people i know im not gay. i just really dont want to hear about what they did the night before.

That would be ignorant-bordering-on-offensive...if it weren't for the simple fact that you have no power over anything and nobody would ask for your opinoin when talking about ramming it up a guy's butt.

Guest hotsoxchick1

i dont care what he is i dont want to hear about it .....

have I failed to mention Wagner? I must make up for the omission

DW3 Classical Music Resources : Composers : Romantic :

Richard Wagner :

* Bayreuther Festspiele Home Page German

* The Case of Wagner: A Musicians Problem, excerpts of Freidrich Nietzsche's 1888 essay Der Fall Wagner. English translation by Walter Kaufmann.

* Der Fall Wagner, essay by Friedrich Nietzsche. German

* La Hemeroteca Wagneriana: Archivo Richard Wagner en español, a sizeable collection of articles written by and about Richard Wagner and his music. Site maintained by Francisco Javier Gordillo. Spanish

* Monsalvat: The Parsifal Home Page by Derrick Everett.

* Musical Themes of Der Ring Des Nibelungen, a comprehensive guide to the "leitmotivs" of Wagner's Ring by Allen B. Dunning, M.D.

* Nietzsche and Wagner, biographical essay by Helmut Walther.

* Opera Glass: Richard Wagner, performance histories, synopses, and libretti for many of Wagner's operas. Site created and maintained by Rick Bogart.

* The Perfect Wagnerite: A Commentary on the Niblung's Ring. A downloadable version of George Bernard Shaw's book about Wagner. Project Gutenberg Release #1487 (October 1998)

* Planete Wagner, the website of the Cercle Richard Wagner Marseille Provence, France. Provides information about the composer and his works, including a worldwide schedule of performances of Wagner's operas. French

* Richard Wagner by Barry Millington et al. Article in the New Grove Dictionary of Music and Musicians II. (Remote access to this resource is limited to Duke University faculty, students and staff.)

* Richard Wagner Archive (2), includes biographical information, a catalog of works, a complete list of Wagner's writings (including digitized texts of several of his essays), and much more. Site created and maintained by Hannu Salmi.

* Richard Wagner: Der Ring des Nibelungen by Michael Davis.

* Richard Wagner: Der Ring des Nibelungen, focuses on the leitmotifs and the tonal structures of the Ring. Includes synopses for all four operas. Page by John Weinstock.

* Richard Wagner: Dramatiker und Komponist, essays on the Ring and Rienzi by Dirk Meyer. German

* Richard Wagner Home Page, beginner's guides to Wagner's operas by Jose Antonio Amaral.

* Richard Wagner: Leitmotives and Libretti (2) (3). Here you will find the libretti and all leitmotives of Der Fliegende Holländer, Tannhäuser, Lohengrin, Tristan und Isolde, Die Meistersinger von Nürnberg, Der Ring des Nibelungen, and Parsifal. Page by Fabrizio Calzaretti.

* Richard Wagner: Parsifal, erster Aufzug by Hans Zimmermann. German

* Richard Wagner: Projekt Gutenberg - Here you will find the librettos to a number of Wagner's operas including the entire Der Ring des Nibelungen (Das Rheingold, Die Walküre, Götterdämmerung, and Siegfried), Lohengrin, and Die Meistersinger von Nürnberg. German

* Richard Wagner Web Site, essays on Wagner and his music by Kristian Evensen et al. Includes a comparative chronology and a well-annotated list of Wagner-related sources (discography, bibliography, videography, and links).

* Tristan und Isolde, leitmotivs and complete libretto with English translation. Page by Joseph Rosenzweig.

* Variations Online Musical Scores Project: Wagner / Indiana University Music Library

Der Fliegende Holländer : opera in three acts : piano-vocal score : larger, scrollable version

Der Ring des Nibelungen

Part 1 : Das Rheingold : opera in one act : piano-vocal score : larger, scrollable version

Part 2 : Die Walküre : opera in three acts : piano-vocal score : larger, scrollable version

Part 4 : Götterdämmerung : opera in three acts : piano-vocal score : larger, scrollable version

Tristan und Isolda : opera in three acts : piano-vocal score : larger, scrollable version

* Wagner and the Jews, a book-length essay by Simon Weil.

* Wagner Library, English translations of Wagner's prose works, letters and articles. Site maintained Patrick Swinkels.

* Wagner: Zenith of German Romanticism, essay by Charles K. Moss.

* Wagnermania by Román Rodríguez. Includes biographical information, librettos, synopses, and images. Spanish

* Wagner's Sources by Jane Ennis. An essay based on the author's doctoral dissertation, A Comparison of Richard Wagner's "Der Ring des Nibelungen" and William Morris's "Sigurd the Volsung (University of Leeds, 1993).

* WagnerWeb, provides information on nearly every aspect of Wagner's life and music, including libretti and synopses for all of his dramatic works. Site by Gerrit Diesinger. German

* Walhalla, European and German history and culture as illustrated by the lives and works of emblematic figures such as Richard Wagner. To view the Wagner-related pages, click on the Walhalla icon, then select Portraits and Richard Wagner. Site by Michel Lambinon. French

* La Web de Richard Wagner by Jon Foruria Murelalaga. Spanish w/ German librettos

* www.parsifal.de by Wolfgang Schmalzl. Includes synopses and the complete libretti of Wagner's operas beginning with the Der Fliegende Holländer, plus background information. German

Duke Online Catalog: Books about Richard Wagner's Life and Music : Videos about Wagner

Music by Richard Wagner : Recordings Only : Scores Only

Writings of Richard Wagner

Music Library

Duke University

Durham, NC USA

Last Update: Thursday, 06-Feb-2003 09:59:54 EST

Search DW3:

i dont care what he is i dont want to hear about it .....

Then dont read his posts?

That would be ignorant-bordering-on-offensive...if it weren't for the simple fact that you have no power over anything and nobody would ask for your opinoin when talking about ramming it up a guy's butt.

ya know, if you werent so worried about not offending people so much, you might actually do something with your life one day, voodoo. Just a thought.