Official "Deliver us Sidney" Thread

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Sonik22 @ Jul 23, 2005 -> 03:08 AM)
Hopefully the hawks can sign a big name tomorrow to bring more fans to the u.c.  Would have liked to have seen crosby go to the blackhawks but my second fav. team will do fine with me.

Chelios?

QUOTE(Brian @ Jul 23, 2005 -> 01:10 PM)
Chelios?

That's been rumored, but from what I've heard the Hawks need 2 top 6 forwards, especially a #1 center. Pavol Demitra seems to be a popular pick, and the Hawks have a lot of good young quality D-men already.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Jul 23, 2005 -> 03:25 AM)
That's been rumored, but from what I've heard the Hawks need 2 top 6 forwards, especially a #1 center. Pavol Demitra seems to be a popular pick, and the Hawks have a lot of good young quality D-men already.

I agree with that. Chelios would be a signing that would just try and bring fans to the games.

QUOTE(Brian @ Jul 23, 2005 -> 03:35 AM)
I agree with that. Chelios would be a signing that would just try and bring fans to the games.

Yep -- really wouldn't help them win games one bit.

If he came cheap, and would be willing to get #5/#6 d-man minutes, that's fine. I think he could be a good mentor for young kids coming up like Keith, Babchuk, Seabrook, etc etc. If he wants more minutes/lots of cash? No thanks.

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Jul 23, 2005 -> 02:30 PM)

If he came cheap, and would be willing to get #5/#6 d-man minutes, that's fine.  I think he could be a good mentor for young kids coming up like Keith, Babchuk, Seabrook, etc etc.  If he wants more minutes/lots of cash?  No thanks.

Keith since you seem to be the resident Hawks expert around here, what is our D corps going to end up being ATM, and is Cam Barker a chance of filling a spot? So far I have Vandermeer, Cullimore, McCarthy, Keith, Seabrook and the 6th spot wide open.

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Jul 22, 2005 -> 10:30 PM)

If he came cheap, and would be willing to get #5/#6 d-man minutes, that's fine.  I think he could be a good mentor for young kids coming up like Keith, Babchuk, Seabrook, etc etc.  If he wants more minutes/lots of cash?  No thanks.

:puke Come on Keith, you know Cheli cant play anymore, no matter what it's not worth it. Investing in a "mentor." By the way, LP is reupping this year :D

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Jul 22, 2005 -> 10:46 PM)
Keith since you seem to be the resident Hawks expert around here, what is our D corps going to end up being ATM, and is Cam Barker a chance of filling a spot? So far I have Vandermeer, Cullimore, McCarthy, Keith, Seabrook and the 6th spot wide open.

The D corps will look like this

Vandermeer/Berard

Cullimore/ Mac

Robidas/ (insert Rookie)

That's what I think will get thrown out there...

QUOTE(Pauly8509CWS @ Jul 22, 2005 -> 10:53 PM)
The D corps will look like this

Vandermeer/Berard

Cullimore/ Mac

Robidas/ (insert Rookie)

That's what I think will get thrown out there...

I would bet that Lasse Kukkonen will likely get a look as long as the Hawks don't sign a veteran dman.

QUOTE(EvilJester99 @ Jul 23, 2005 -> 02:47 PM)
I believe Bryan Berard will also be back...

Oh ya, forgot about him, he'll be needed to make sure our power play is at a higher level than brutal.

DBaho, I assume that Vandermeer/McCarthy/Berard/Cullimore are locks, and then it'll be a battle between Robidas, Duncan Keith (rave reviews from both Tallon and Yawney -- if he made the team, I doubt Robidas would make it too. IIRC, he's undersized), Anton Babchuk, and even Brent Seabrook. The folks who watch the Norfolk games said that Seabrook came up and immediately became the Ads best defenseman. It's a longshot, but it could happen.

Ideally, you have those top four, along with a #1-#2 defenseman brought in -- as Tallon and co. hinted at. Then, you have competition between Robidas/Keith/Bab/Seabrook for the final spot.

Ok more mock's, top 30's etc.

TSN.ca Top 30

7. Carey Price

TEAM: Tri-City Americans (WHL) 

POSITION: Goaltender 

HEIGHT: 6'3 

WEIGHT: 212 lbs. 

BORN: 08/16/87 - Williams, B.C. 

NOTES AND ACCOMPLISHMENTS: Represented Canada at the Under-18 World Cup last August...played for Team Pacific at the World Under 17 Hockey Championships in December...backstopped Canada to a silver medal at the 2005 World Under-18 Championship. (Photo: Getty Images) 

BOB MCKENZIE'S TAKE: The Tri-City Americans goaltender is widely heralded as the top netminder available in this year's draft, but it's not necessarily unanimous. Odds are Price will be the first goalie selected, but depending upon the order of selection, it's tough to say how early a goalie might go in this draft. Team preference aside, though, scouts generally agree Price is a top-10 talent who has what it takes to be a No. 1 stopper in the NHL. His performance at the U-18 championships in April was only fair, but the WHL workhorse showed his worth game in and game out for Tri-Cities. 

Red Line Report

7. Bobby Ryan

TEAM: Owen Sound Attack (OHL) 

POSITION: Right Wing 

HEIGHT: 6'0 

WEIGHT: 210 lbs. 

BORN: 03/17/87 - Cherry Hill, N.J. 

NOTES AND ACCOMPLISHMENTS: Led Attack with 1.44 points per game and was +30...tallied 128 regular season points over 127 OHL games...Ryan and the Attack went on a string of 20 games with only one loss in 2004-2005...invited to U.S. summer evaluation camp for 2006 World Junior Hockey Championship. (Photo: Getty Images) 

BOB MCKENZIE'S TAKE: This player's "life" story has been well documented. The son of a father who so severely beat his mother that the father went to prison for five years, but not before the entire family moved to California and changed the family name from Stevenson to Ryan to avoid the authorities. All that aside, the Owen Sound Attack forward is a big, strong power forward type who can make plays and score goals with a flourish. Scouts debate whether he's a bad skater or just an awkward skater, but he moves well enough to be rated a sure-fire top 5 pick who could go as high as No. 2. Lots of speculation as to how hard Philadelphia Flyer GM Bob Clarke, a close friend of the family, will try to move into a spot to draft Ryan. 

QUOTE(Tony82087 @ Jul 23, 2005 -> 12:29 AM)
Out of them, I would want Babbs up. He has an amazing shot, and I would like to see how he plays when he sees some real ice time. If the Hawks sign another big D man(To be honest I don't really know whats out there) and just a 20 G a year winger, they could cause some trouble in the leauge.

Tony, Babs is unlikely at this point because he was REAL disappointing in Norfolk last year. He didnt show the ability to play consistently good D. But who knows when it gets to camp time.

And DB, I dont think the Hawks would take a goalie in the first round. They have a decent stockpile with Anderson and Leighton and Crawford. Also in the system is Michael Brodeur but I think he's on his way out.

QUOTE(farmteam @ Jul 23, 2005 -> 07:19 AM)
So, for all people like Keith or kap, what are the biggest names on the market, regardless of position?

We'll find out a little later today. Contract buyouts started this morning so teams like Toronto will be axing some pricey veterans and more big names will be out there.

Another interesting piece for those few Hawk fans out there. When Mike Smith got fired his scouts went with him. Including top scout Marshall Johnston. He was just picked up by the 'Canes yesterday and is their scouting director thing now. They just got a good one, I liked him for some reason and got to meet him at a prospects camp a few years back.

QUOTE(Pauly8509CWS @ Jul 23, 2005 -> 11:17 PM)
Tony, Babs is unlikely at this point because he was REAL disappointing in Norfolk last year.  He didnt show the ability to play consistently good D.  But who knows when it gets to camp time.

And DB, I dont think the Hawks would take a goalie in the first round.  They have a decent stockpile with Anderson and Leighton and Crawford.  Also in the system is Michael Brodeur but I think he's on his way out.

If they don't decide to bring back Thibault which is still very possible, then maybe they will want a goalie in the draft, but they should take best player available regardless. Some people rate Crawford very highly however, and think he'll be better than Leighton or Anderson.