Official NFL Season Predictions

QUOTE(AirScott @ Jul 24, 2005 -> 09:12 PM)
they added Fred Smoot, Darren Sharper, and Napolean Harris to their D, and their D-Line is pretty solid.  Culpepper won't post any numbers like last year, but the Vikings won't have to rely soly on offense anymore.

Sharper is one of my all time favorite players but he isnt nearly as good as he used to last year he got burnt by recievers all the time

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(AddisonStSox @ Jul 24, 2005 -> 10:10 PM)
Excellent post.  Simply put, there are far too many if's with the Bears.  Grossman has played in...what...five NFL games?  We don't know dick about this kid.  Period--and I've watched/scouted him since his senior year in high school.  The kid put up crazy numbers in the run n' gun, but we don't know if he can cut it at the professional level.  Anyone else who says otherwise is simply speculating.

I'm not a bettin' man, but if I was, I'd say the Lions end up with more W's than our belov'ed Bears.

Heh, I'm a Colts fan. I just think it has to click there in Detroit sooner or later....

I'll admit things look good for the Bear's D, but they still have a long way to go on offense. Benson is a rookie and Jones is a previously part time player who missed several games last year. I don't think those two add up to an above average running game this year. Grossman is still a major question mark at QB. He hasn't stayed healthy, which has stunted his development seriously. Also, we only have one legit receiver at this point, and Mushin is not likely to repeat his career year. The line looks good, but it has to stay healthy. One issue I see that no one else seems to think is there is whether or not Tait can play LT. Just because he was a pretty good RT doesn't mean it will automatically transfer to the other side. If he is only passable, the line isn't quite as strong as we think.

I think the Vikings win the division almost by default. I think they'll be good enough on both sides of the ball to win 9 or 10, which should be enough. As I said, I don't think the Bears will score enough to have a good year, although they might sneak into the wildcard. The Packers don't have much on defense, but again, Favre and Green might sneak them into the wildcard. I just don't see it with the Lions. Their D isn't exactly stellar, and Roy Williams is the only one of their touted receivers that has done anything (Rogers may or may not perform after the injury issues, Williams will probably struggle a bit like most rookies). Unless they can consistently score in the high 20's I don't like their chances.

QUOTE(AddisonStSox @ Jul 25, 2005 -> 02:52 AM)
You're cracking me up, fella.

Let me guess, you love making trades in MVP Baseball?

Why what he says is the truth. Football is so unpredictable.. at least the NFL is. Thats why everyone is so damn surprised by the Patriots being awesome and winning it 3 out of 4 years with a salary cap.

You telling me in 2003 you had the Panthers going to the Super Bowl?

AFC East:

Patriots

Bills

Jets

Dolphins

AFC North:

Steelers

Bengals (WC)

Ravens

Brown

AFC South:

Jaguars

Colts

Texans

Titans

AFC West:

Chargers

Raiders (WC)

Chiefs

Broncos

NFC East:

Eagles

Redskins (WC)

Cowboys

Giants

NFC North:

Bears

Vikings

Lions

Packers

NFC South:

Falcons

Saints (WC)

Panthers

Buccaneers

NFC West:

Seahawks

Cardinals

Rams

49ers

Super Bowl Champs:

Chargers 27 - Redskins 19

Bears Record:

11-5

Edited by SoxFan1

QUOTE(ZoomSlowik @ Jul 25, 2005 -> 03:54 AM)
I think the Vikings win the division almost by default. I think they'll be good enough on both sides of the ball to win 9 or 10, which should be enough.

Positives: The Vikings are strong in the trenches, with a solid offensive line and a terrific defensive line. That secondary is looking pretty damn good as well...I'd say a top 8 unit in the entire league. They are deep at all of the skill positions on offense, although there are no spectacular players outside of Culpepper.

Negatives: One of the dumbest LB cores in the league. Harris, Thomas, and Henderson are all known for their mental lapses. That will most likely be their starting unit for the majority of the season, as Cowart always gets injured. Special teams is looking like a major weakness. Mike Tice is not the brightest coach

In the end, in a weak NFC conference, they are the second best team. They are deep as hell. If that LB core comes around and Edinger :ph34r: starts making field goals again, they could pose a threat to the Eagles in the Conference championship game.

QUOTE(ZoomSlowik @ Jul 24, 2005 -> 10:54 PM)
I'll admit things look good for the Bear's D, but they still have a long way to go on offense. Benson is a rookie and Jones is a previously part time player who missed several games last year. I don't think those two add up to an above average running game this year.

Thomas Jones is a career underacheiver and a former high-first round pick who has never had a solid offensive line to run behind. he was our lone bright spot on offense last year, but this team desperately needs an O-line.

They just need to get past New England, and I'm hoping NE will slip just a tad with the loss of their coordinators. Whoever wins the Monday night game in NE is probably going to have home field over the other in the playoffs. Indy needs that bad.

All my teams have that team like New England stopping mine from getting to the next step in the past few years.

Patriots--Colts

Twins--White Sox

Pistons--Pacers

QUOTE(greasywheels121 @ Jul 25, 2005 -> 12:45 PM)
They just need to get past New England, and I'm hoping NE will slip just a tad with the loss of their coordinators.  Whoever wins the Monday night game in NE is probably going to have home field over the other in the playoffs.  Indy needs that bad.

All my teams have that team like New England stopping mine from getting to the next step in the past few years.

Patriots--Colts

Twins--White Sox

Pistons--Pacers

Wow, now if you were just an Iowa State fan, you'd be perfect. :P

they added Fred Smoot, Darren Sharper, and Napolean Harris to their D, and their D-Line is pretty solid.  Culpepper won't post any numbers like last year, but the Vikings won't have to rely soly on offense anymore.

Kinda like the Redskins and Dan Snyder; eh?

Yea. See how that works out for them. Incohesiveness will sink them.. theyll finish last.

QUOTE(ChiSox_Sonix @ Jul 25, 2005 -> 03:20 AM)
Seriously?

You're definitely going out on a limb there, thats for sure.

I always pick the underdogs and always add a few surprises. THe NFL NEVER goes as expected so I mix in a few "WTF!"s. The Redskins are underrated, as are the Chargers. I f***ing love the Chargers, but Im a Bears guy for life. Bengals are gonna suprise this year too, book it.

Thomas Jones is a career underacheiver and a former high-first round pick who has never had a solid offensive line to run behind.  he was our lone bright spot on offense last year, but this team desperately needs an O-line.

Dont feed me OL B.S.

Good players succeed when they have nothing. Tomlinson tore it up (again) with Shane Olivea at LT for the Bolts. Ha.

How have Buffalo HB's fared? Henry, now McGahee. Who do they have on that pathetic excuse of an OL?

Jones = Trash.

You will never sway my mind on that until he can stay healthy and put up 1200+ Ru. yards.

QUOTE(SoxFan1 @ Jul 25, 2005 -> 04:31 AM)
Super Bowl Champs:

Chargers 27 - Redskins 19

I see the Chargers as a possibility because their such a balanced team offensively and defensively.... But the Redskins.. they were trash last year and only got worse.

Chargers wont make the playoffs because Dree Brees will become once again: Drew Brees.

Tomlinson, though he is the best Offensive Player in NFL History; cannot carry a team in the modern NFL game.

Edited by DukeNukeEm

Every year it's the same thing:

NFC North Predictions:

The Packers enter the season in total shambles, are picked to be the worst team in the NFC North, and somehow [brett Favre] find ways to win.

Every year the Bears will be NFC North Champions [this is the same exact blind Bear fan prediction EVERY season] and every year they aren't anything but a dismal failure due to injury, lightning, genies...or whatever other excuse [sans the 2001 luckfest].

Every year the Vikings are the new kings of the division...and ever year they slump in the 2nd half and fail miserably.

Every year the Lions have the best receivers to ever walk the face of the earth...and every year they have no QB [Harrington is not the answer] to throw the ball to them.

Until someone removes the Green Bay Favres from the #1 slot in the NFC North, I will continue to pick them to win the division. And more often than not, they do.

Remember, the Packers were winning divisions with Darren Sharper on the sidelines with a severly sprained knee, before Javon Walker [or any other real receivers were on the team], and before Grady Jackson was ever in a Packer uniform. Their O-Line is always strong, no matter who on the O-line is on IR...as a few of them missed most of the past few seasons [including their ProBowl center last year], yet it was still a dominant line no matter which mix of them played or didn't play.

As long as Favre feels like winning, he does. Although he's good enough to carry them through the regular season, the glaring weaknesses of the team show every year in the playoffs.

The Bears will be lucky to be an more than a .500 team.

The Lions...the same as the Bears.

The Vikings are always a dark horse that fails in the 2nd half.

I pick Green Bay...again.

Edited by Y2HH

QUOTE(DukeNukeEm @ Jul 25, 2005 -> 07:33 PM)
Chargers wont make the playoffs because Dree Brees will become once again:  Drew Brees.

Yeah, and the Vikings are going to finish in last place, right?

Why would you enter into a football discussion with your atrocious research habits? You like to run your mouth when you ain't got JACK s*** to say? You'll fit in really well around here, there's an entire gang of you clowns that make this place worse. This thread has turned into s***. I have a headache.

QUOTE(DukeNukeEm @ Jul 25, 2005 -> 01:48 PM)
Dont feed me OL B.S.

Good players succeed when they have nothing.  Tomlinson tore it up (again) with Shane Olivea at LT for the Bolts.  Ha.

How have Buffalo HB's fared?  Henry, now McGahee.  Who do they have on that pathetic excuse of an OL?

Jones = Trash.

You will never sway my mind on that until he can stay healthy and put up 1200+ Ru. yards.

Tomlinson rushed for 3.9 yards/carry. Henry carried for 4.4 and 4.1 in 02 and 03, and McGahee 4.0 yards/carry. Jones had 4.0, missed 2 games and split a bunch of carries with Anthony Thomas. and besides, Tomlinson is arguably the best running back in the NFL. so in years past when he rushed for more yards per carry, he was succeeding with nothing. I'd say great players succeed when they have nothing, and Thomas Jones is not a great player.