Possible deal for Burnett

beck72

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseb...i-sportsnew-hed

I could see the sox doing this. then El duque or Contreras would go to the pen. the sox get a LHP like Villone or Scott erye, and both the pen and SP has improved. Even if Burnett wasn't re-signed, the sox could still get 2 draft picks for him, as they'll offer him arb.

Keeping contreras is big. He could blow up. But in the pen, he could go as far as he can with other guys to back him up.

Good to see KW sticking to his guns, and not making a trade if he can't re-sign A.J to a long - term deal. Doesn't sound like Burnett wants to anyway, hence why I think this ain't gonna go down.

And also, got various reports here on who's being offered;

Miami Herald - the White Sox offering pitching prospect Brandon McCarthy and right-handed starter Jose Contreras,

New York Daily News - and whose agent has made clear that he'll be seeking Carl Pavano-type money (four years, $40 million) as a free agent after this season.

That would appear to make the White Sox, who are prepared to offer top pitching prospect, 6-7 righty Brandon McCarthy (94 strikeouts in 78-1/3 innings at Triple-A) and lefty setup man Damaso Marte, the frontrunners for Burnett.

White Sox chairman Jerry Reinsdorf refused to take Lowell and wouldn't make any effort to sign Burnett either, at least until he knows what the righty's real market value is. But as one source familiar with the Sox's stance said: "Jerry sees this as the White Sox's year and he's willing to let it all fly in an effort to win, even if means trading a top prospect just to rent Burnett to get him to the World Series."

My guess where he's gonna end up....... Toronto.

For some reason, I don't think Burnett is in our immediate future. Kenny's liable to do something that nobody sees coming. As his style has been in the past, Kenny flies under the radar. This Burnett talk is probably just a smokescreen.

This guy spends too much time on the DL to re-sign him to a long-term deal. If we do get this guy- it will be for the stretch run and this year's playoffs only. Trading away Marte would mean KW needs to find another lefty... (Wagner *cough)

Screw it... I say go for it KW! Lets go for the whole enchalata! We will worry about our future in the offseason.

QUOTE(GreatScott82 @ Jul 24, 2005 -> 06:17 AM)
This guy spends too much time on the DL to re-sign him to a long-term deal. If we do get this guy- it will be for the stretch run and this year's playoffs only. Trading away Marte would mean KW needs to find another lefty... (Wagner *cough)

Screw it... I say go for it KW! Lets go for the whole enchalata! We will worry about our future in the offseason.

jose, marte for burnett, burnett spun off to philly for wagner, bmac sweeney uribe and baj for schmidt vizquel. i know allthat is damn near impossible but id s*** myself.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Jul 24, 2005 -> 11:42 AM)
Good to see KW sticking to his guns, and not making a trade if he can't re-sign A.J to a long - term deal. Doesn't sound like Burnett wants to anyway, hence why I think this ain't gonna go down.

Burnett will probably wait to sign anything, in order to weigh other offers in the offseason. Can't blame him for trying. yet if an offer's decent, Burnett should sign with his injury history

QUOTE(fathom @ Jul 24, 2005 -> 10:43 PM)
I don't think there's a chance AJB would want to resign here.  Thus, please don't do this trade KW>

Teams like Detroit who are desperate to win now would offer him a Tim Hudson like deal if he hits FA, hence why he doesn't want to re-sign with a team now.

QUOTE(YASNY @ Jul 24, 2005 -> 12:14 PM)
For some reason, I don't think Burnett is in our immediate future.  Kenny's liable to do something that nobody sees coming.  As his style has been in the past, Kenny flies under the radar.  This Burnett talk is probably just a smokescreen.

There aren't many other "big" moves out there. I think there's something to this, with similarities to Freddy last yr.

QUOTE(fathom @ Jul 24, 2005 -> 12:48 PM)
Except pitching isn't a glaring hole like it was last season.

I agree. But it sounds like the Freddy deal in that they'd like to resign AJ. If the sox were able to land Burnett, i'd like it far more if they then traded him for billy Wagner.

Bruce (I'd stake my professional reputation on the Sox getting Omar Vizquel) Levine was on the radio this morning pushing the possibility that the Sox would offer Marte and Bmac for Burnett, said that it very possibly could happen, Burnett's pitching this afternoon and the Sox will have scouts there. Said Contreras would not be traded for AJ. Also said that the Sox might accept Lowell if the Fish throw a lot of money our way, especially now that Frank is back on the DL. Also said Sox were second place finishers in the effort to get Tony G and Randa.

Ya gotta consider the source, but, we'll know pretty soon, I'd think.

QUOTE(Al Lopez's Ghost @ Jul 24, 2005 -> 08:27 AM)
. Also said Sox were second place finishers in the effort to get Tony G and Randa.

I wish we got Tony, but I wouldn't be surprised if he comes back to Chicago for next season. We all know Reinsdorf loves him.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Jul 24, 2005 -> 05:42 AM)

I know you don't have the advantage of listening to Chicago sports radio, but ESPN's Bruce Levine, the "intelligible" baseball dunce...er...source, is reporting this deal is really picking up and quickly. He thinks this has a very, very good chance of going down.

Personally, I think Kenny is trying to hammer out two things:

1) Can he make this happen without having to deal Marte

2) Does he have a puncher's chance of signing Burnett to a long-term deal--something I endorse with PK sent packing after 05' anywho

To add to Al's post:

SoxTalk favorite whipping boy Bruce Levine says this trade could go down within the next 24 hours, Sox have definitely not ruled out taking on Lowell, management is concerned about Frank being in and out of the lineup all year. He is still saying Brandon McCarthy and Marte from this side.

QUOTE(VAfan @ Jul 24, 2005 -> 09:18 AM)
Marte and BMac are too high a price to pay for Burnett, even if he does re-sign.

Contreras and Bajenaru is still better than Boston will offer.  Throw in Diaz or Munoz to get it done.

Trading Contreras this season?

Robbing Peter to pay Paul no?

I feel much better trading McCarthy--a non-contributing member of the 05' ballclub, though trading Marte is troubling.

Marte and BMac are too high a price to pay for Burnett, even if he does re-sign.

Contreras and Bajenaru is still better than Boston will offer.  Throw in Diaz or Munoz to get it done.

Nice idea, but too bad Florida won't go for it. They want a LH reliever who can close from time to time, and they want to go cheaper.

As for Diaz, he has about zero trade value, Munoz maybe a little but not much.

QUOTE(JimH @ Jul 24, 2005 -> 09:20 AM)
To add to Al's post:

SoxTalk favorite whipping boy Bruce Levine says this trade could go down within the next 24 hours, Sox have definitely not ruled out taking on Lowell, management is concerned about Frank being in and out of the lineup all year.  He is still saying Brandon McCarthy and Marte from this side.

Call me f***ing crazy, but I want Lowell in this deal.

Do his numbers absolutely suck this year? Yup.

Does he look like my old friend Neil? Yup.

But when I went to the Marlins game at the Cell last year and sat right behind their dugout he had a s***TY day at the plate, but he made every play in the field and was still one of the more active players in the dugout rooting his team on.

He's got World Series and playoff experience, and I think a change of scenery could help him out.

Also, it's an insurance policy for Crede's back, and to be honest, after the offensive display the last few days, he's not going to hurt on that side at this point (I gurantee you he can role into a double play or strike out as well as Rowand and Crazy)

The only thing that is making me crap my pants with this is including Marte. I know he's been up and down this season, but I do not want to see Kevin Walker on this team until the roster expands and the Sox have clinched a playoff spot. That guy is not a major league pitcher.

QUOTE(VAfan @ Jul 24, 2005 -> 10:18 AM)

haha, no its not too high a price. a proven starter at the MLB level is always better than a prospect who had one good spring training.

marte is good, but not good enough to hold up a deal like this.

QUOTE(maggsmaggs @ Jul 24, 2005 -> 09:23 AM)
Also, Bruce mentioned that the Sox still will want to make the deal even if they can't re-sign A.J.  If we don't re-sign, we can always offer him arbitration and get two draft picks.  Not the worst thing, IMO.

Yeah, i know it's putting the cart infront of the horse, but if the Sox continue their major attendance upswing they'll have no excuse but to add payroll in the offseason. So if this goes down and PK and AJ walk, the Sox would have to add some major pieces in the off-season, which is pretty weak this year.

QUOTE(SoxFan562004 @ Jul 24, 2005 -> 10:30 AM)
Yeah, i know it's putting the cart infront of the horse, but if the Sox continue their major attendance upswing they'll have no excuse but to add payroll in the offseason.  So if this goes down and PK and AJ walk, the Sox would have to add some major pieces in the off-season, which is pretty weak this year.

Yeah, hopefully they would be able to hammer out a deal with Burnett if they made the trade. With how much people were paying for starting pitchers in the off-season (Eric Milton, Jaret Wright, Carl Pavano) who knows what these upcoming free agents are going to get?