Postseason rotation

VAfan

What do y'all make of this Tribune article?

http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sp...tesox-headlines

It basically says that Ozzie will wait to see the probable first round opponent to set his postseason rotation. It also suggests, though I don't think Ozzie really said this, that Buehrle might not go first if Oakland is the opponent.

What would you do if you were Ozzie?

Plus, if we all can agree Buehrle is the staff ace, how to you choose between Garland and Garcia, and between Contreras and El Duque? Would you mix and match to the likely opponent, or just go with your strongest overall pitchers ranked from top to bottom?

Since I'm going first, what would I do? Right now, I would pitch Buehrle #1, Garcia #2, and Garland #3 and not worry about matchups. That could change, but my thinking is to go to our strengths. I'd have to see how August/Sept. shapes up to choose between Contreras and El Duque, but I'm inclined to start Contreras in game 4 unless Buehrle is on 4 days rest, with El Duque available out of the bullpen in any game.

QUOTE(White Sox Josh @ Aug 10, 2005 -> 10:20 PM)
Out of respect you have to start Buehrle first.  he has the best ERA in the rotation and for what he's done for the sox.

I totally disagree with this comment. Nothing against Buehrle. In fact, it's the rest of the first sentence I disagree with, as in: Out of respect you have to start ______ first.

We are talking playoffs and a chance for our first WS since 1959. Respect and rewarding players should not be part of the equation. You put the guys out there that you think are your best bet to win. Period. Buehrle may be the choice to start, but not for reasons of respect.

QUOTE(SleepyWhiteSox @ Aug 10, 2005 -> 11:21 PM)
So some of you would be afraid to have Buehrle start the first game if we play the A's?    :huh:

I have confidence in him no matter who we play.  I think he gives us the best chance to win that first game, and I don't want to waste any opportunities in a 5-game series.

^ What he said.

I'm still waiting for Oakland to cool off. It has to happen eventually. When it does, hopefully the Yankees or Indians will step up and claim the WC. I just don't want to face Oakland. It's not that I don't think the Sox can beat them, because I've figured out over the course of the 113 games the Sox have played so far this season that if this team plays it's brand of ball against anyone, they'll win, but the way the Sox just handed Oakland at least 3 of the games that they played against them this year just bothers me.

QUOTE(Dam8610 @ Aug 11, 2005 -> 03:02 AM)
^ What he said.

I'm still waiting for Oakland to cool off. It has to happen eventually. When it does, hopefully the Yankees or Indians will step up and claim the WC. I just don't want to face Oakland. It's not that I don't think the Sox can beat them, because I've figured out over the course of the 113 games the Sox have played so far this season that if this team plays it's brand of ball against anyone, they'll win, but the way the Sox just handed Oakland at least 3 of the games that they played against them this year just bothers me.

Dont get your hopes up...

I think the real question is should Ozzie start Garland in Gm 2 and Freddy in Gm 3 on the road as Freddy is lights out on the road and Jon is good at home....And I'm not afraid of the A's or any other team for that matter....The only thing that scares me is the Sox playing flat or tight in the playoffs....That's the only thing we should all fear, not the Oakland A's....If the Sox play fearlessly and execute on offense like they have all yr long, it won't matter who the opponent is....

QUOTE(White Sox Josh @ Aug 11, 2005 -> 02:12 AM)
I still say the twins catch the A's.  They have always been a september team.  I just don't believe in Oakland.

I don't think the Twins have the firepower to come back, especially with no Torii Hunter. The 2 teams that have a chance to catch the A's (given they fall back out of 1st in the AL West) are the Indians and Yankees. I wouldn't be afraid of any team the Sox might face in the postseason, because when they play their game, they're unbeatable. However, Oakland is the team I'd least like to face, because the Sox seem to hand them games. Think about the matchups earlier this year. There were at least 3 games in there that the Sox would normally win, but for some reason, the A's have some way to catch a break just when they need it, usually by way of a costly error. If the Sox play their game facing Oakland, they win, no question in my mind, but for some reason they just can't seem to get away from that costly error against them.