famous public apologies?

Chi Town Sox

Can anyone here think of an instance where a public figure (athlete, presidential, etc.) apologized publicly about a mistake that he/she made but did not have to apologize. Such as Bill Clinton apoligizing about Monica Lewinski when he was caught, I need the opposite of that. A person apologizing about something when not having to. All help would be appreciated thanks. :gosoxretro:

Michael Irvin apologizing for having a suitcase full of coke and hookers in a Dallas hotel room.

edit: Steffs reply threw me off ;)

Irvin shouldnt have apologized, he should have been thrown in the pokey.

Edited by kyyle23

QUOTE(kyyle23 @ Aug 30, 2005 -> 02:55 PM)
Michael Irvin apologizing for having a suitcase full of coke and hookers in a Dallas hotel room.

edit: Steffs reply threw me off ;)

Irvin shouldnt have apologized, he should have been thrown in the pokey.

How many hookers did he have stuffed into the suitcase? :D

Did Pat O'Brien make any public apologies? I hope not, because no one need be sorry for providing that level of comedy.

How about hypocritical televangelist Jimmy Swaggart's blubbering after the thing with, hmm, who was it? not Jessica Hahn, not Fawn Hall, what was her name?

QUOTE(Chi Town Sox @ Aug 30, 2005 -> 03:00 PM)
Sorry I guess i phrased it wrong, from what i know kobe and irvin were caught in their acts. i guess what i wanted to say was that the public figure came "out of the blue" and apologized when noone knew about it or wouldve found out.

Thanks alot

Public figures so that ALL THE TIME.

Honestly, no public figure is going to come out with dirt on himself unless he knows the s*** is about to hit the fan. That's human nature.

QUOTE(Wong & Owens @ Aug 30, 2005 -> 03:00 PM)
Did Pat O'Brien make any public apologies?  I hope not, because no one need be sorry for providing that level of comedy.

How about hypocritical televangelist Jimmy Swaggart's blubbering after the thing with, hmm, who was it? not Jessica Hahn, not Fawn Hall, what was her name?

But he said he 'only stuck the tip in.' :ph34r:

You know, I've been thinking about the question, and I think I may have a plausible answer in Jimmy Carter. For trhose too young to remember, carter was crucified for admitting that he had "lusted in his heart" for women other than his wife in a 1976 Playboy interview.

I can concede that his Presidency left a lot to be desired, but the guy had integrity and pretty much did nothing more than admit to what we all know everybody does. It's simple human nature to have sexual fantasies. In the interview he evenwent as far as saying that he didn't consider himslf any better than an actual adulturer because the sins were no different in the eyes of his God. It didn't save him from being publicly skewered however.

So, basically, he admitted a wrongdoing (at least in the eyes to his God) that he didn't have to - and got a lot of grief for his trouble.

Here's the Playboy synopsis:

Carter took a lot of heat for admitting to Playboy's Barry Golson and Robert Scheer that he "lusted in his heart" in our November 1976 issue. Asked about his religious beliefs, Carter replied, "Christ said, 'I tell you that anyone who looks on a woman with lust has in his heart already committed adultery.' I've looked on a lot of women with lust. I've committed adultery in my heart many times. This is something that God recognizes I will do -- and I have done it -- and God forgives me for it. But that doesn't mean that I condemn someone who not only looks on a woman with lust but who leaves his wife and shacks up with somebody out of wedlock. Christ says, Don't consider yourself better than someone else because one guy screws a whole bunch of women while the other guy is loyal to his wife."

QUOTE(FlaSoxxJim @ Aug 30, 2005 -> 07:58 PM)
You know, I've been thinking about the question, and I think I may have a plausible answer in Jimmy Carter.  For those too young to remember, carter was crucified for admitting that he had "lusted in his heart" for women other than his wife in a 1976 Playboy interview.

I can concede that his Presidency left a lot to be desired, but the guy had integrity and pretty much did nothing more than admit to what we all know everybody does.  It's simple human nature to have sexual fantasies.  In the interview he even went as far as saying that he didn't consider himself any better than an actual adulterer because the sins were no different in the eyes of his God.  It didn't save him from being publicly skewered however.

So, basically, he admitted a wrongdoing (at least in the eyes to his God) that he didn't have to - and got a lot of grief for his trouble.

Here's the Playboy synopsis:

Damn you. I was just getting ready to post that. Carter has also done more for humanity and has been a greater ex-President thank anyone else.