25-man roster

VAfan

QUOTE(White Sox Josh @ Oct 1, 2005 -> 03:55 AM)
I was going back and forth with that one.  I really think you could take either.  I just think that Gload has a little more pop from the left side though.  He also is smooth in the field which would make him a great defensive replacment.  Remember opening day.

The guy to leave behind is Blum. Everyone says he's versatile, but he's the 3rd or 4th guy at every position he plays.

1B - Konerko, Gload, Blum

SS - Uribe, Ozuna, Blum

3B - Crede, Ozuna, Blum

LF - Podsednik, Everett, Perez, Blum

RF - Dye, Everett, Perez, Blum

Gload is Konerko's designated pinch runner and defensive replacement late in close games. And if Ozzie had given him a few more ABs this year, he'd have likely done a lot more of what he did in the 13th, and a lot less striking out like he did earlier in the game.

I play Gload, Blum, and Harris in both the remaining games. Some rust to scrape off. I like Harris for speed, Gload as a bat, and Blum's versatility. One thing we have failed at lately is a bunt and I think Harris leads there. It becomes what two of three, and I haven't been impressed with Blum's bat or glove. Blum is adequate a lot of ways, not necessarily good at any. Tough call, but if Gload is stinging the ball, I take him.

The bench probably will be Harris, Perez, Blum, Widger, and Ozuna. The bullpen of 7 should be Cotts, Hermanson, Marte, Cliff, Jenks, Bmac and either Viz or El Duque. If El Duque is healthy, he'll be on. If not he's nursing an injury--like to his knee--Viz will be the last man. No way is BMac held off the playoff roster.

A pitcher is needed to go 2 maybe 3 innings to bridge the SP's and late inning bullpen guys. Bmac is perfect for that spot--someone who throws strikes, get K's and can go multiple innings.

Well, after tonight, El Duque is certainly in, as is Willie Harris.

And is there life for my man

ROSS GLOAD?

Does anyone think Geoff Blum could have driven that ball to the wall and plated two runs?  Gload looked awful early, but give the guy a break.  He's had no ABs this year.  Put him in tomorrow or Sunday and I guarantee he'll have a multi-hit game. 

My final choice for a bench would be Widger, Ozuna, Harris, Perez, and Gload. 

As for pitching, if Ozzie wants to make the bold move, he should leave Marte off the roster and keep Vizcaino.  I don't trust Marte against tough lefties anyway.

You'd guarantee Gload would get a multi hit game?

Again, please share that crystal ball with the rest of us.

By the way all you "Ozzie hates Gload" spinmeisters ... if Ozzie really did hate Gload so much, wouldn't he have pinch hit for him in the 13th?

Cooper was just on the Score and they asked him about Marte being possibly left off. He said that scenario wasn't even being considered.

So, Marte is on the playoff roster.

QUOTE(JimH @ Oct 1, 2005 -> 01:22 PM)
You'd guarantee Gload would get a multi hit game?

Again, please share that crystal ball with the rest of us.

By the way all you "Ozzie hates Gload" spinmeisters ... if Ozzie really did hate Gload so much, wouldn't he have pinch hit for him in the 13th?

Do you hunt down every Ross Gload mention I make? You never answer my question. Do you think Geoff Blum is a better hitter? Do you think Timo Perez is a better hitter? Let me know that before you say anything else about Gload.

I don't really give two craps about Gload. I just want the Sox to win, and I know Gload hit .321 last year in just over 200 ABs, and torched AAA this year when we needed hitting in the worst way. Plus he's better defensively at 1B than anyone else we have, so he's not a liability in the field. And he's a lefty.

We need offense. We need good lefties. He's been a better hitter than any other option we have. What's so hard to figure out about that.

(By the way, Gload was 1 for 3 with a walk. Not multihit, but a .500 OBP.)