Wrong Home Run Call Benefits Astros

Texsox

QUOTE(mreye @ Oct 26, 2005 -> 08:44 AM)
My favorite was when Dye's jersey was clearly hit and McCarver goes, "You can't really tell from that replay either." Yeah, his jersey just flew sideways on it's own!  :lol:

Well, you know those jerseys. They just don't like to be hit. They dodge the ball better than most, if not all, batters do. :P

I just couldn't believe it though...I mean I never thought Buck and McCarver were against the Sox...I mean why would they be. I think they're bad announcers, but not neccessarily rooting against the sox. I still don't know if they are rooting against them or anything, but I just can't see how that homerun wasn't discussed more. Every time they showed a game recap and said Lane homerun I f***in cringed. I couldn't believe they wouldn't say "our replays showed that it wasn't the case." Anyway, we overcame it. That's what you do, but call the f***in game the same way for both teams. Don't show me 100 replays of cather interference and dye getting hit and drop third strikes and then show a non homerun once during the game, after the initial replays.

I don't really blame the umps on that call. It's that stupid ballpark.

There were no protests from the Sox bench, so replay wouldn't have helped.

Forget the roof controversy! :bang Have them install some kind of seats or basket or, hell, anything out there to help establish a legit HR.

Did anyone else hear McCarver early in the game on a pitch that Oswalt bounced in front of the plate to Crede? It bounced and hit Ausmus in the glove near the strike zone. McCarver says, "Good pitch right there. Didn't get it because Ausmus couldn't hang on." I don't think he saw the bounce in the dirt 3 feet in front of the plate. :lol:

QUOTE(mreye @ Oct 26, 2005 -> 09:05 AM)
Did anyone else hear McCarver early in the game on a pitch that Oswalt bounced in front of the plate to Crede? It bounced and hit Ausmus in the glove near the strike zone. McCarver says, "Good pitch right there. Didn't get it because Ausmus couldn't hang on." I don't think he saw the bounce in the dirt 3 feet in front of the plate.  :lol:

I was wondering the same thing. Why the hell is this guy announcing? :huh

QUOTE(kevin57 @ Oct 26, 2005 -> 08:01 AM)
I don't really blame the umps on that call.  It's that stupid ballpark.

Forget the roof controversy!  :bang  Have them install some kind of seats or basket or, hell, anything out there to help establish a legit HR.

I don't blame the umps either. I've always hated a line instead of a fence for a home run. It just doesn't make a lot of sense especiallt if you're going to have the facade basically the same color as the baseball.

QUOTE(mreye @ Oct 26, 2005 -> 09:07 AM)
I don't blame the umps either. I've always hated a line instead of a fence for a home run. It just doesn't make a lot of sense especiallt if you're going to have the facade basically the same color as the baseball.

It was a tough call and it went against us. That s*** happens to teams all the time in baseball. I just don't like how it was covered on tv compared to how the calls that went for us got covered.

QUOTE(Controlled Chaos @ Oct 26, 2005 -> 08:09 AM)
It was a tough call and it went against us.  That s*** happens to teams all the time in baseball.  I just don't like how it was covered on tv compared to how the calls that went for us got covered.

Agreed. And McCarver said "good call" a couple times about various calls and Buck replies, "Best one we've seen this post season." :rolly Let it go, Joe. Let it go.

And they didn't even mention how an inside pitch to Jermaine Dye in that great at bat hit his jersey. They showed a replay but didn't mention it. It clearly got into his jersey. But, like a winning team, he didn't strike out, he just made an even better play.

QUOTE(mreye @ Oct 26, 2005 -> 08:05 AM)
Did anyone else hear McCarver early in the game on a pitch that Oswalt bounced in front of the plate to Crede? It bounced and hit Ausmus in the glove near the strike zone. McCarver says, "Good pitch right there. Didn't get it because Ausmus couldn't hang on." I don't think he saw the bounce in the dirt 3 feet in front of the plate.  :lol:

That was a great call!!! I was laughing out loud about it. I'm pretty sure though that Roy was "off" last night because he was getting overly excited about the "servicing" that Joe and Tim were going to provide for him after the game. :D

QUOTE(mreye @ Oct 26, 2005 -> 09:05 AM)

I heard that and figured it was a by-product of the lack of sleep I have been getting for the last week or so lol.

QUOTE(kevin57 @ Oct 26, 2005 -> 09:01 AM)

Forget the roof controversy!  :bang  Have them install some kind of seats or basket or, hell, anything out there to help establish a legit HR.

Seriously though, talk abot building a ball park modeled after someone's neighborhood.

"Ok, so we are going to build a wall, and anything on this side of the line is a HR, and anything on the other side isnt."

"Wait, couldnt we just make the wall so that the ball goes over it, and then its a homerun, wouldnt that be easier?"

"No you idiot, then where would we put the train track?"

QUOTE(kevin57 @ Oct 26, 2005 -> 07:01 AM)

If nothing else...that stupid ballpark came back to bite them in the arse when the ball bounced right back to Uribe on the hit in the 8th inning.

QUOTE(GoSox05 @ Oct 26, 2005 -> 11:09 AM)
umps are only human.

As a former ump (okay, HS level), I agree.

The main gripe around here is the usual "media critique." That is, if calls like that go the Sox way, then it's nothing short of a conspiracy or dumb luck, but not when the situation is reversed.

QUOTE(kevin57 @ Oct 26, 2005 -> 11:11 AM)
As a former ump (okay, HS level), I agree.

The main gripe around here is the usual "media critique."  That is, if calls like that go the Sox way, then it's nothing short of a conspiracy or dumb luck, but not when the situation is reversed.

Exactly. Even today in reading articles, most refer to it as Lane's home run. Only a couple things I have read actually say "a home run that wasn't"

whatever...I guess it just is what it is....I just dont understand the double standard...