Colon is awesome

Soxplosion

Well first, he pitched a great game. But what really made him great was that he gave up a chance to get a complete game and decided instead to stand up for his best hitter. I think Julio pegged Maggs intentionally. Just look at it. He pegged our best hitter and the hero of the game. If he pegged Crede or something, I wouldve said it was probably an accident. But this was our best hitter and it hit him in the middle of the back. This wasnt a nick on the hand. And I think Colon probably asked Manuel before the inning if he could drill Hairston because it was obvious Colon could have gone the distance easily yet Kelly Wunsch started warming in the pen before the inning. And Terry Craft came out before the inning to warn Colon and Colon just ignored him. He didnt even look at him. Then Colon missed with the first pitch and came back and nailed Jerry the second time around. I thank Manuel for letting Colon do it but Colon definitely wanted to peg somebody as soon as Maggs got hit, and I love that. And what exactly was Hairston doing? When he got hit he just stood there but when Surhoff restrained him he got all tough and acted like he wanted to charge Colon. Coward. But I dont really blame him, Colon would have eaten him as a late nite snack. Colons awesome!!!!!!!!

Colon has stepped up the last two games and shows why he is the MAN!! EL HOMBRE!

The pitching staff was simply fanatastic and I think it will pump up everyone. Buerhle is going to be great tonight in Minnesota and you can put it on the board.

Colon's last outing and the fact we already won the first two against Baltimore were two good reasons JM should have saved him for tonight against Radke and Garland should have went last night.

With another day's rest, he pitches a CG shutout against the Twins, and Buehrle gets to face Cy Mays...not a struggling pitcher on his last leg.

Colon has stepped up the last two games and shows why he is the MAN!! EL HOMBRE!

O HOMEM in portuguese.

Colon showed yesterday thta this team is all doing fine without fights in clubhouse (i hope so). I like the approach of the team yesterday. Hitting, pitching and come thru when it counts. Frank is hitting well in the last games, i hope he continues this the rest of the season or for a while. Colon showed too that he isnpt worried about stats that he wants this team winning. LET´S GO SOX. Vamos botar pra fuder no Twins.

I love the collectiveness that this team has shown on the field so far this season.

I have no clue what's going on behind the scenes because I'm not there to witness it first-hand, but so far in '03, this team has been a TEAM. The first case of it was in the game vs. Minnesota a couple of weeks ago when Garland hit Mientkiewich (sp?) and the benches emptied, and last night with Colon sticking up for Magglio. And how about Jerry getting ejected for the 3rd time already in 40 games? ;)

We're 20-20, and we've got a huge series against our perhaps biggest rival on the road -- hopefully the Sox can keep up their play!

Lucky for me I have been to all 3 games that the benches cleared :cheers

Last night's game was great.

Wunsch was not warming up before Bartolo hit Hairston. Rick White was up and just sat down before the inning started. Kelly's first warm up was on the mound.

Colon is a veteran and he knows how the game is played. He didn't have to be told by anybody to hit an Oriole hitter, although someone like Jerry or Coop may have reminded him about it before going back out to the mound. He's been around long enough and is savvy enough to realize that someone had to pay for Magglio's beaning. It sucks that it was a scrub like Hairston who had to get hit (someone like Conine would have been a little more worth it), but Bartolo did what he had to do.

His teammates will respect him even more today because of it, you can bet on that. To know that your teammates have your back is invaluable.

You want to know why I love THIS COLON, because he only made 88 pitches up to that point.

That shows me how much of a stud our pitching coach is, and also how willing Bartolo is to improve himself on what has already been a great career for him. Bartolo is learning how to pitch and this is what is going to make him a 1A type pitcher instead of the 1B type pitcher.

I will be so pissed if we don't resign Bartolo. This kid is going to be the top of the charts after Pedro blows his arm. Well him Zito, etc in the AL and then Prior and some others in the NL.

I will be so pissed if we don't resign Bartolo.  This kid is going to be the top of the charts after Pedro blows his arm.  Well him Zito, etc in the AL and then Prior and some others in the NL.

Until Prior wins 20, he can't be put in the same class as Colon or Zito, or any of the other top level pitchers in baseball, IMO.

And yes, he's a stud, and I hope he's signed by us, but unless we make the playoffs, I really don't see that happening.

scrub like Hairston who had to get hit (someone like Conine would have been a little more worth it)

Ahh, Hairston isnt really a scrub. Hes not as good as Maggs but hes important to the Orioles so Id say hes a good target for retaliation...

I'm sure some guys made eye contact with Colon in the dugout, maybe even Maggs after the inning. Colon's a pro. He knew what had to be done. Unlike that dude with the Mets last year. Estes. Pussy. I wonder where that guy is now? ;)

I'm sure some guys made eye contact with Colon in the dugout, maybe even Maggs after the inning.  Colon's a pro.  He knew what had to be done.  Unlike that dude with the Mets last year.  Estes.  Pussy.  I wonder where that guy is now?  ;)

What happened with Estes? :huh:

If memory serves me, someone drilled Piazza pretty good, and after the umpires warned the benches, Estes didn't retaliate. I could be very wrong about the details, so you people feel free to correct my senile old ass. LOL

If memory serves me, someone drilled Piazza pretty good, and after the umpires warned the benches, Estes didn't retaliate. I could be very wrong about the details, so you people feel free to correct my senile old ass. LOL

Heh. It was the Mets/Yankees, and the game was going to be at Shea Stadium. This was last season or 2001, and it was Estes vs. Clemens. This was coming off of the drilling in the head and the incident in the WS where Clemens threw the broken bat at Piazza while he was running to 1st base. Anyway, the build-up to the game was huge, because for the first time in a long time, Roger was going to have to bat, and everyone was expecting Estes to drill him. Well, when Clemens came up to bat, Estes threw about an 85 MPH fastball that went behind Roger and missed him completely. The crowd was pretty upset, and Estes proved that he had absolutely no balls what-so-ever.

Heh.  It was the Mets/Yankees, and the game was going to be at Shea Stadium.  This was last season or 2001, and it was Estes vs. Clemens.  This was coming off of the drilling in the head and the incident in the WS where Clemens threw the broken bat at Piazza while he was running to 1st base.  Anyway, the build-up to the game was huge, because for the first time in a long time, Roger was going to have to bat, and everyone was expecting Estes to drill him.  Well, when Clemens came up to bat, Estes threw about an 85 MPH fastball that went behind Roger and missed him completely.  The crowd was pretty upset, and Estes proved that he had absolutely no ball what-so-ever.

Thanks Clujer. I knew Estes wimped out big time, but couldn't come up with the details. Anyway, he's wearing the appropriate uniform these days.