Sox Pride: Comcast DVD

Steve9347

Well, first of all, I must say that the tears came to the eyes while watching this DVD.

It was very nice to see the story of the entire season, rather than just the series. There were many, many comments by players and especially Don Cooper that are hilarious and truly make the DVD special.

It is not perfect however. It seems that they revel a bit too much in the matchups against the Cubs. Whatever, not a big deal. This DVD is special.

However, the single-most disappointing thing about the DVD resides in the special features. They have the Chicago White Sox 2005 Player Introductions (which involves the greatest video of all time). It starts out wonderfully, with the slow music going over the stills of White Sox historia. I had it cranked as loud as my system would go! Unfortunately, when things pick up, set to the same amazing video segments is NEW MUSIC! No longer is it the music from, I believe, "Pirates of the Caribbean," which kind of takes you out of the moment. If you are going to bother putting together a DVD, purchase the rights to that music to make it great. At least I have the actual intro from the day of the parade.

Of course, this does not ruin the DVD at all. There is a lot of "Ticker Tape" footage in the special features, along with extra highlights from the season, and pointlessly a little documentary on the Go-Go Sox that was enjoyable to watch. It was fun to listen to interviews of players during the course of the season, and to see Shingo out there on opening day getting the save (I was at that game, and it seems like so long ago!)

Overall DVD grade: A-

Comments: Very well put together; will have any true White Sox fan tearful and wanting to watch it again right after the end. It is better than the MLB World Series Production because the first 45 minutes is based on the regular season, with all of the best highlights. Highly recommended!

Edited by Steve9347

Thanks for the review.

Honestly, since I already have the MLB one, the main reason I wanted the Pride DVD was for the player intros and the music that came with it (which I loved watching at every game). It sort of annoys me that they apparently cheaped out and went with other music that (I am guessing) wasn't as costly to license. Seems petty to me - I'd have paid an extra $1 for the DVD to be the real thing.

Since that was my main motivation, I may not bother buying it at all. But then again, the interviews with players and coaches do sound pretty cool.

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Dec 16, 2005 -> 10:50 AM)
Thanks for the review.

Honestly, since I already have the MLB one, the main reason I wanted the Pride DVD was for the player intros and the music that came with it (which I loved watching at every game).  It sort of annoys me that they apparently cheaped out and went with other music that (I am guessing) wasn't as costly to license.  Seems petty to me - I'd have paid an extra $1 for the DVD to be the real thing.

Since that was my main motivation, I may not bother buying it at all.  But then again, the interviews with players and coaches do sound pretty cool.

They may not have cheaped out. Isn't Pirates a Disney property? Disney is kind of territorial about their releases and may have had a problem with licensing the music for a DVD release of anything. I don't know if that is what happened, I'm just throwing out a possibility that maybe the Sox tried to license the music and were rebuffed.

QUOTE(The Critic @ Dec 16, 2005 -> 01:50 PM)
They may not have cheaped out. Isn't Pirates a Disney property? Disney is kind of territorial about their releases and may have had a problem with licensing the music for a DVD release of anything. I don't know if that is what happened, I'm just throwing out a possibility that maybe the Sox tried to license the music and were rebuffed.

Definitely possible. That's why I included the "I am guessing" caveat.

I suppose if someone wanted to, we could probably find out.

QUOTE(The Critic @ Dec 16, 2005 -> 12:50 PM)

I'm more than willing to bet that this is the case.... What is Disney, STAYS Disney. Eisner is a greedy clown. They did what they could in replacing the Pirates soundtrack its similar but def not the same, and no doubt Thunderstruck still sounds great in there.