A Plan

Rex Kickass

Here's a plan for something the Democrats would like to do. Not too detailed, but its from Harry Reid's op-ed in the Houston Chronicle.

http://www.chron.com/cs/CDA/printstory.mpl...outlook/3584174

In 2006, it is time to make sure lawmakers always put progress before politics. This will require some painful but necessary steps designed to root out corruption and cronyism in our government and to put an end to the quid-pro-quo politics that gave rise to Jack Abramoff.

Our first order of business must be reinvigorating the enforcement of government ethics rules so that people know there are consequences for breaking the law. Second, we must fix the revolving door that shuffles officials and staff between government and K Street.

Third, we must reform the gift and travel rules that fostered pay-to-play politics like we've seen in the Abramoff affair and the K Street project.

Finally, we must shine a bright light on the relationship between lobbyists and lawmakers. We need disclosure rules that will tell constituents who their lawmakers are meeting with, what lobbyists are asking for and what gifts and perks they are giving.

I support these steps not because they are good politics in an election year but because they are the right steps to take in response to the corruption we have seen in Washington. I know there are some people who think cleaning up Washington is a lost cause and that corruption and government will always go hand in hand. To these individuals, I say you are wrong.

If we could kick the mob out of Las Vegas in the 1970s, we can change the culture of Washington and give America a government as good and honest as the people it serves.

It's about time the Democrats had a plan on something. They really need to put forth some plans and ideas over the next couple of years or so. Also, knowing how the game is played, there has to be a hidden agenda here. There has to be something in the plan that would be advantageous to the Democrats beyond just the politics of it.

I'm not being overly critical of the Democrats here, as I know the Republicans would look to legislate themselves an advantage as well.

Harry Reid stands by his plan

http://hotlineblog.nationaljournal.com/arc...no_gifts_f.html

Lobbyists: don't even think about giving gifts to members of Sen. Harry Reid's staff.

As of today, per a memo written by Reid's chief of staff, Susan McCue, the minority leader forbids any member of his staff from accepting gifts of any size from lobbyists.

Currently, congressional rules allow two gifts per year to members of values not exceeding $50. As Chris Matthews discovered last week, booze is all-you-can-quaff.

And, for some reason, lobbyists for state colleges don't play by the same rules (because their expense accounts come courtesy of government funds -- which you'd think would make them subject to more onerous requirements. Not so.)

The full text of McCue's memo is below.

All Staff:

This Wed, Jan 18, Sen. Reid will be unveiling an unprecedented set of

reforms in an Honest Leadership Act to be introduced jointly by Senate and House Democrats. The Honest Leadership Act will clean out the corruption and cronyism that have broken the publicâ€s confidence in government, and it will prevent abuses of power in the future

If real reform is going to happen in Washington, Democrats must lead the way. What distinguishes our reform bill is its scope and our commitment to getting it done. To that end, we will walk the talk. Our office will adhere to proposed reforms in the Honest Leadership Act immediately. Every one of you does exemplary work. Team Reid is known for building public trust in government, and we will help fix the parts others have broken.

A key proposal in the Act, known as "The Jack Abramoff Rule", will ban staff and members from receiving gifts, meals and travel from lobbyists. Current office policy follows current Ethics Committee rules allowing gifts and meals under $50 and requiring full disclosure of lobbyist-related travel.

Effective tomorrow, these rules will be changed in our office to reflect the Honest Leadership Act Sen. Reid is introducing. As such, no employee in Sen. Reid's federal offices will be allowed to receive any meals, gifts or travel from lobbyists. Our office policy manual will be updated. As with other office policies, any violation of this rule will be subject to disciplinary action up to termination.

Again, each of you bring honor and pride to Senator Reid, the State of

Nevada and the country. You represent what good government is all about. These changes are an effort to lead by example and bring others along. Kevin Kayes will be hold a staff briefing on the Honest Leadership Act later this week to ensure everyone understands the provisions of the bill and changes from current policy.

Thanks,

Susan

LOL. I can't add up all the entertainment dollars I spent on company expense accounts in Vegas during console video gaming's high rolling 70s and early 80s. So this coming from Nevada, and basically covering the same situation.

QUOTE(YASNY @ Jan 18, 2006 -> 10:34 AM)
Tommorrow's headline:

Senator Ried's Staff Resigns In Mass

I jest.  I jest.

I thought he was from Nevada? Isn't Kerry and Kennedy from Mass?

BTW, you jest, but that will be an issue for some of the staffers. Imagine going from free lunches a few days a week to now buying all your lunches, at inflated D.C. prices *and* on a staffer's salary. I know a few staffers and they all talk about how difficult making ends meet is and how the "free lunch" game stretches the food budget.

QUOTE(mr_genius @ Jan 18, 2006 -> 11:33 AM)
If a political party was serious about doing something like this that would be great. 

But this just sounds like lip service to me.

The laws have been getting tighter and tighter. What is silly in my book is if a staffer is going to be swayed by a $25 lunch, what would she do for a $300 iPod or a $200,000 rent free studio condo near downtown? We are making a much bigger deal about a working business lunch paid by a sales rep (lobbyist).