looks like onepeat.com got the money

I would hate to rain on this guys parade, but I wonder if he is going to have a problem printing his sign because of copyright infringement problems? Usually the print stores (Kinkos, mail etc.) wont print copyrighted things out without signed forms stating that you can use their likeness in your banner/sign. I cannot imagine Texas, USC, and LSU just saying "Ok, go ahead and rip us in front of LA, we dont mind!".

QUOTE(kyyle23 @ Jan 19, 2006 -> 05:17 PM)
I would hate to rain on this guys parade, but I wonder if he is going to have a problem printing his sign because of copyright infringement problems?  Usually the print stores (Kinkos, mail etc.) wont print copyrighted things out without signed forms stating that you can use their likeness in your banner/sign.  I cannot imagine Texas, USC, and LSU just saying "Ok, go ahead and rip us in front of LA, we dont mind!".

i don't think the letters LSU, USC, or TEX are copyrighted.

they already have a advertising company setting the sign up, they said it will happen.

Edited by mr_genius

QUOTE(mr_genius @ Jan 19, 2006 -> 07:17 PM)
i don't think the letters LSU, USC, or TEX are copyrighted.

they already have a advertising company setting the sign up, they said it will happen.

trademark was the word I was thinking of, and if you think a school doesnt have the trademark rights to its own initials, you are wrong.

http://www.usc.edu/admin/trademarks/

USC Trademarks and Licensing Services (TLS) coordinates both internal and external usage of USC's identifying marks, and serves campus constituencies in trademark- and service mark- related activities such as trademark registration, licensing, and graphic identity issues.

And if you think LSU and Texas have similar trademarks, I am going to have to disagree.

I dont think this is gonna happen. Its a cool rebel idea, but I just dont think USC is going to let themselves be ripped in their own area like that.

QUOTE(kyyle23 @ Jan 19, 2006 -> 06:37 PM)
trademark was the word I was thinking of, and if you think a school doesnt have the trademark rights to its own initials, you are wrong.

http://www.usc.edu/admin/trademarks/

And if you think LSU and Texas have similar trademarks, I am going to have to disagree.

I dont think this is gonna happen.  Its a cool rebel idea, but I just dont think USC is going to let themselves be ripped in their own area like that.

i think you're wrong, but i'm not a trademark or copyright expert.

the letters themself aren't a trade mark. like the White Sox don't have CHW trademarked (i don't think).

QUOTE(Goldmember @ Jan 19, 2006 -> 07:47 PM)
"USC's identifying marks" refers to only their logo i believe. if it referred simply to their initials then journalists, newspapers, web sites, etc could be in a world of hurt...

And they couldn't own that w/ Univ of South Carolina using the same initials too.

QUOTE(mr_genius @ Jan 19, 2006 -> 07:51 PM)
i think you're wrong, but i'm not  a trademark or copyright expert.

the letters themself aren't a trade mark.  like the White Sox don't have CHW trademarked (i don't think).

The reason I would think they are is this: How many times are the trojans referred to as USC as opposed to how many times the White Sox are referred to as CHW?

Saying USC is more or less automatically referring to Southern Cal, and the same with LSU and Louisiana st. USC and LSU are identifying marks, they print apparel with that stuff all over it.

But I am not a trademark lawyer myself, so I dont know for sure, I just dont think that (like i said before) USC is gonna let someone blast them like that in their backyard.

QUOTE(Goldmember @ Jan 19, 2006 -> 07:47 PM)
"USC's identifying marks" refers to only their logo i believe. if it referred simply to their initials then journalists, newspapers, web sites, etc could be in a world of hurt...

Why would journalists, newspapers, web sites etc. be in a world of hurt? They arent using the USC/LSU/TEX likeness or initials for advertising, are they?

This guy is advertising for his website by using the USC, LSU, and TEX recognizable initials(not to mention the championship trophy) to promote his website.

Like I said, its cool to stick a middle finger to the man like that, I just dont think its gonna happen

QUOTE(kyyle23 @ Jan 19, 2006 -> 07:05 PM)
Why would journalists, newspapers, web sites etc. be in a world of hurt?

but I just dont think USC is going to let themselves be ripped in their own area like that.

if they had so much control over their initials then why would they let themselves get ripped in all forms of the media, etc.?

the only trouble this guy could most likely get in with that billboard would be with the use of the trophy pic. it probably is copyrighted by the photographer...

The only possible copyright problems would be with the photo of the trophy. They would have to pay the photographer. But as for the Texas, LSU and USC printed on the billboard, that is not a copyright violation as long as it isn't the official school logo's or any copyrighted logos.

QUOTE(kyyle23 @ Jan 20, 2006 -> 01:05 AM)
Why would journalists, newspapers, web sites etc. be in a world of hurt?  They arent using the USC/LSU/TEX likeness or initials for advertising, are they?

This guy is advertising for his website by using the USC, LSU, and TEX recognizable initials(not to mention the championship trophy) to promote his website. 

Like I said, its cool to stick a middle finger to the man like that, I just dont think its gonna happen

So then they could do it by removing onepeat.com? Then I say it is a done deal. It looks like the site was only started to set the record straight and to get money for the billboard.

QUOTE(southsideirish @ Jan 20, 2006 -> 11:42 AM)
So then they could do it by removing onepeat.com? Then I say it is a done deal. It looks like the site was only started to set the record straight and to get money for the billboard.

I dont know. I cant argue this anymore, Im not a copyright/trademark/patent lawyer. :)

I have maintained that I want to see it happen, i just dont think it will.

As far as I know the letters themselves are not copywritten, only the font the school uses, the design of the emblem, and the color (as far as I know). My friend made Marquette Warriors shirts a couple years ago but would alter the old Warriors emblem just enough not to get into legal trouble. But then, he isn't a lawyer either. As for the trophy's likeness, I can't even imagine.

In the case of the billboard, it probably isn't copywrite issues that are the problem, save for the trophy possibly. However, because everyone knows who they are referring to there could be ramifications for using a school's name without permission. Possibly libel, but I have no idea.