Thought Experiment

Balance

QUOTE(Balance @ Mar 10, 2006 -> 12:29 PM)
Zach-

The 2-year-old is alive.  It doesn't matter why she's there.  This is a thought experiment.  If you don't want to participate, then don't.

I would be able to save both then because I would have already been dealing with the abandoned 2 yr old and it would already be in my arms before the fire started.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The child. Why? Two reasons. One, from what I can remember from high school biology, the pain receptors do not develop for some time after conception (it's been 15 years since that class so bear with me if I screwed that up) and the 2 year old obviously already has pain receptors. Two, the kid is already here; a definite where there are no guarantees that the fertilized eggs would successfully inplant, grown to be a full-term baby and be birthed alive.

On the abortion issue, I, myself do not believe in it and likely could never go through with one, but I am not about to stop a woman who is okay with it from having one. (I do believe that abortion is completely acceptable in cases of rape and incest.)

QUOTE(zach61 @ Mar 10, 2006 -> 01:33 PM)
I would be able to save both then because I would have already been dealing with the abandoned 2 yr old and it would already be in my arms before the fire started.

I see.

You have just been immolated in my thought experiment. You no makka the game, you no makka the rules.

:banghead

QUOTE(zach61 @ Mar 10, 2006 -> 01:25 PM)
There is a problem here above which I would choose to save. If I was in an empty clinic, there would be a specific reason I was there. I don't just wander around empty buildings. I would know why the 2 yr old was in that room and if it was alive or not. If it was alive, I would already have either removed the 2 yr old, or would be calling somebody about an abandoned child. The 2 yr old would already be in my arms before the fire started. I would then only have 1 choice to make and that would be to grab the petri dish. The real problem here is not which I would save, but why the 2 yr old is alone in a room in an empty clinic.

It's incongruous, sure, but it's a hypothetical, so deal with it! :bang

I mean, why the hell is there a petri dish of blastulas just sitting around?? And what procedure were you having done at this clinic that specializes in leaving blastulas and unattended toddlers lying around?!? :P

Edited by FlaSoxxJim

QUOTE(Queen Prawn @ Mar 10, 2006 -> 01:33 PM)
The child.  Why?  Two reasons. One, from what I can remember from high school biology, the pain receptors do not develop for some time after conception (it's been 15 years since that class so bear with me if I screwed that up) and the 2 year old obviously already has pain receptors.  Two, the kid is already here; a definite where there are no guarantees that the fertilized eggs would successfully inplant, grown to be a full-term baby and be birthed alive.

On the abortion issue, I, myself do not believe in it and likely could never go through with one, but I am not about to stop a woman who is okay with it from having one.  (I do believe that abortion is completely acceptable in cases of rape and incest.)

Agree completely.

QUOTE(Balance @ Mar 10, 2006 -> 11:14 AM)
So far, not as much controversy as I might have expected.  Nobody has taken the "life begins at conception" position yet.  I guess, since Juggs isn't sround anymore, that's not going to happen.

I think it illustrates that there is a significant difference between a baby that has been born and reproductive cells that have just gotten together.  Which, of course, was my not-veiled-at-all point.

From a life begins at conception position, I got to say, why were they removed in the first place? That in itself is an act close to killing them or at least significantly endangering them. You have pretty much sentenced them at that point already. Like FlaSoxxJim already kind of talked about, you are already subverting God/nature/providence. So, I would definitely take the 2-year old.

Edited by vandy125

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Mar 10, 2006 -> 06:28 PM)
I love how much people are struggling to avoid actually having to take on the issue which is trying to be discussed by the hypothetical.

:lolhitting :lolhitting :lolhitting

That's the funniest f***ing line I have seen on here in ages.

QUOTE(Queen Prawn @ Mar 10, 2006 -> 01:33 PM)
The child.  Why?  Two reasons. One, from what I can remember from high school biology, the pain receptors do not develop for some time after conception (it's been 15 years since that class so bear with me if I screwed that up) and the 2 year old obviously already has pain receptors.  Two, the kid is already here; a definite where there are no guarantees that the fertilized eggs would successfully inplant, grown to be a full-term baby and be birthed alive.

On the abortion issue, I, myself do not believe in it and likely could never go through with one, but I am not about to stop a woman who is okay with it from having one.  (I do believe that abortion is completely acceptable in cases of rape and incest.)

OK, but you're not playing by the rules. As I mentioned, we're taking the pain issue out. The 2-year-old is anesthetized; she won't feel any pain. And for purposes of the experiment, there is a 100% guarantee that each and every fertilized egg will result in a healthy full-term baby, if and when they're implanted.

How does that affect your answer?

QUOTE(vandy125 @ Mar 10, 2006 -> 01:37 PM)
From a life begins at conception position, I got to say, why were they removed in the first place?  That in itself is an act close to killing them or at least significantly endangering them.  You have pretty much sentenced them at that point already.  Like FlaSoxxJim already kind of talked about, you are already subverting God/nature/providence.  So, I would definitely take the 2-year old.

It's a fertility clinic. The eggs were fertilized in the petri dish. That's what happens in fertility clinics.

QUOTE(Balance @ Mar 10, 2006 -> 12:40 PM)
It's a fertility clinic.  The eggs were fertilized in the petri dish.  That's what happens in fertility clinics.

Again, call me crazy, but I disagree with what they are doing. IMO, there are plenty of children that need to be adopted and need good parents.

QUOTE(vandy125 @ Mar 10, 2006 -> 01:44 PM)
Again, call me crazy, but I disagree with what they are doing.  IMO, there are plenty of children that need to be adopted and need good parents.

He's evading the question like a kid in a dodgeball game!

Answer the question! If you want to create a thread with your own hypothetical, then do it. If you're in here, play by the rules and tell us what you'd do and why!

QUOTE(FlaSoxxJim @ Mar 10, 2006 -> 01:36 PM)
It's incongruous, sure, but it's a hypothetical, so deal with it!  :bang

I mean, why the hell is there a petri dish of blastulas just sitting around??  And what procedure were you having done at this clinic that specializes in leaving blastulas and unattended toddlers lying around?!?  :P

Weekend at Britney Spears?

QUOTE(FlaSoxxJim @ Mar 10, 2006 -> 12:36 PM)
It's incongruous, sure, but it's a hypothetical, so deal with it!  :bang

I mean, why the hell is there a petri dish of blastulas just sitting around??  And what procedure were you having done at this clinic that specializes in leaving blastulas and unattended toddlers lying around?!?  :P

Exactly. So it's ok to leave a child alone in a clinic, but it's wrong to have an abortion? Not trying to avoid the question like stated earlier. Maybe the question should just be asked instead of avoiding it. I would grab the baby before anything else and if the woman happened to be giving birth at the time and moving the woman would mean killing the unborn child, I would move the woman to save her. And then just to spite the pro-life people, I would go back in and try to grab the petri dish. :P

Well, how did the fire start? Did I start it? Did the blastulas start it?

Is the baby cute? How about the blastulas?

For purposes of the thought experiment, would I get arrested for being alone in a fertility clinic when I have no medical know-how?

Is this baby possessed? (Head spinning around, that sort of thing.)

Are the blastulas Sox fans?

Is this baby a biter?

Am I incredibly weak at the moment from dehydration, and therefore unable to carry a 2 year old?

Hold on, I'll think of some more... I mean, if you're gonna leave it THAT wide open...

QUOTE(jackie hayes @ Mar 10, 2006 -> 01:21 PM)
Well, how did the fire start?  Did I start it?  Did the blastulas start it?

Is the baby cute?  How about the blastulas?

For purposes of the thought experiment, would I get arrested for being alone in a fertility clinic when I have no medical know-how?

Is this baby possessed?  (Head spinning around, that sort of thing.)

Are the blastulas Sox fans?

Is this baby a biter?

Am I incredibly weak at the moment from dehydration, and therefore unable to carry a 2 year old?

Hold on, I'll think of some more...  I mean, if you're gonna leave it THAT wide open...

You do have 1 point though. If the baby had a cub hat on, my hesitation would probably cost it its life and I would only have time then to save myself.

QUOTE(zach61 @ Mar 10, 2006 -> 11:25 AM)
You do have 1 point though. If the baby had a cub hat on, my hesitation would probably cost it its life and I would only have time then to save myself.

But if the blastulas had cub hats on...you'd never know unless you took the time to examine each of them with a microscope...and then you'd really be in trouble!

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Mar 10, 2006 -> 01:31 PM)
But if the blastulas had cub hats on...you'd never know unless you took the time to examine each of them with a microscope...and then you'd really be in trouble!

Damn, you're right. Now I need to know if this clinic is on the north or south side too. And what if those blastulas were from gay people?

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Mar 10, 2006 -> 07:31 PM)

Yes and no -- the hats would be hard to see, but you could just put your ear to the petri dish and listen for a soft "woo".

Does the baby know any words? Like strap or it or down?