downtown protest

LosMediasBlancas

QUOTE(mr_genius @ Mar 12, 2006 -> 11:05 PM)
You are claiming people that oppose illegal immigration are probably racist, this is not accurate.  Sure, some people are  racist... but the vast majority of people against illegal immigration are against it because of the huge financial strain it puts on the current citizens of the country and security issues.

Show me where I said that please. Enough words have been put in my mouth and assumptions have been made as it is.

• Replies 263
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Soxpranos @ Mar 12, 2006 -> 08:13 PM)
We wouldnt have a Championship in 05 as most of those guys are here on Visas.  I say than god for them Latinos...  :gosox2:

Sure, if they have legal visas, they're more than welcome to work here in America.

Sure, if they have legal visas, they're more than welcome to work here in America.

[/quote

Yet most have come without a Visa... only to get one to make other people some money... the other option is, getting a roster filled with guys from the hills.. I just dont see that cutting it.

[/quote

Yet most have come without a Visa... only to get one to make other people some money... the other option is, getting a roster filled with guys from the hills.. I just dont see that cutting it.

I seriously doubt that most of them come without visas, unless you're speaking of the credit card. Most of them don't come here on a raft El Duque-style.

QUOTE(SleepyWhiteSox @ Mar 12, 2006 -> 08:17 PM)
Yet they're given priority when defecting from Cuba so they can come help some baseball teams.    :P

You still haven't told me what you do for a living. How about just giving me your age?

Edited by WCSox

QUOTE(SleepyWhiteSox @ Mar 12, 2006 -> 10:09 PM)
Show me where I said that please.  Enough words have been put in my mouth and assumptions have been made as it is.

Such obvious, negative attitudes, the stereotyping, racism, etc., is unneccesary.

ok

QUOTE(WCSox @ Mar 12, 2006 -> 11:19 PM)
You still haven't told me what you do for a living.  How about just giving me your age?

22. Out of college. Full-time job. Yep, I pay rent, utilities, taxes, living expenses, etc. I like watching baseball, long walks on the beach, and cuddling. Anything else?

QUOTE(SleepyWhiteSox @ Mar 12, 2006 -> 08:22 PM)
22.  Out of college.  Full-time job.  Yep, I pay rent, utilities, taxes, living expenses, etc.  I like watching baseball, long walks on the beach, and cuddling.  Anything else?

Get married, have children, buy a house, pay back your student loans, and tell me what you think of economic re-distribution for "humanitarian" reasons 10 years from now.

QUOTE(WCSox @ Mar 12, 2006 -> 11:23 PM)
Get married, have children, buy a house, pay back your student loans, and tell me what you think of economic re-distribution for "humanitarian" reasons 10 years from now.

I'm paying them back.

Now do I do them in that order? How many children do you think I should have?

Again, I don't see how it's relevant to the discussion...

QUOTE(SleepyWhiteSox @ Mar 12, 2006 -> 08:26 PM)
I'm paying them back.

Now do I do them in that order?  How many children do you think I should have?

Again, I don't see how it's relevant to the discussion...

Of course you don't, because you're not living like an adult. Get married, have children, buy a house, and get back to me.

QUOTE(SleepyWhiteSox @ Mar 12, 2006 -> 10:24 PM)
I never said it's the sole reason.  And yes, stereotyping and racism is unecessary.

Don't bulls*** yourself, it plays a role.

All I said was that the vast majority of people are against illegal immigration because of financial concerns, not racism. You responded saying that I was "putting words in your mouth". I don't think racism it plays a major role at all, maybe your sociology teacher told you it does and likes to stress that the white male oppressor needs to be stopped bla bla bla... I've heard this argument before.

Oh, btw, do you think you can just go move to ANY industrialized first world country without documentation? If you do I suggest looking what other countries expect from their new citizens. Even the best country in the world, france, is against illegal immigration.

QUOTE(mr_genius @ Mar 12, 2006 -> 08:35 PM)
Even the best country in the world, france, is against illegal immigration.

Pretty much everybody who wants to have a family, live in a house, go on a vacation every once in a while, and eat something besides ramen noodles is against illegal immigration.

QUOTE(mr_genius @ Mar 12, 2006 -> 11:35 PM)
All I said was that the vast majority of people are against illegal immigration because of financial concerns, not racism.  You responded saying that I was "putting words in your mouth".  I don't think racism it plays a major role at all, maybe your sociology teacher told you it does and likes to stress  that the white male oppressor needs to be stopped bla bla bla... I've heard this argument before.

Oh, btw, do you think you can just go move to ANY industrialized first world country without documentation?  If you do I suggest looking what other countries expect from their new citizens.  Even the best country in the world, france, is against illegal immigration.

I'm not for illegal immigration.

I'm for the United States setting up the proper laws, programs, etc. to regulate it efficiently. Since it doesn't, I can see why people come here illegally.

And the assumptions keep coming...I never took a sociology course nor do I think racism is the main reason people oppose illegal immigration...But I do think stereotyping and racism plays a part in their poor treatment.

QUOTE(SleepyWhiteSox @ Mar 12, 2006 -> 10:42 PM)

I'm for the United States setting up the proper laws, programs, etc. to regulate it efficiently.  Since it doesn't, I can see why people come here illegally.

And the assumptions keep coming...I never took a sociology course nor do I think racism is the main reason people oppose illegal immigration...But I do think stereotyping and racism plays a part in their poor treatment.

lol

Ohhh, of course... It's america's fault. I should have known. You should really look into the immigration process that many "progressive" European countries have, our laws are not unfair.

oh, and you took sociology classes, don't lie (it makes noam chomsky cry).

QUOTE(mr_genius @ Mar 12, 2006 -> 11:50 PM)
lol

Ohhh, of course... It's america's fault.  I should have known.  You should really look into the immigration process that many "progressive" European  countries have, our laws are not unfair.

oh, and you took sociology classes, don't lie (it makes noam chomsky cry).

Ok, I probably did take some...

And I'm not blaming the U.S. I'm just saying it can do a better job if it's truly a problem. Since the government hasn't, maybe it isn't as bad as those who b**** and moan say it is? I really don't know...

And to bring it all together...I don't mean silly laws that will arrest and jail doctors, social workers, school teachers and who knows who else if they assist illegal immigrants. I mean laws and programs that will deal with it properly, whether it be an efficient guest worker program or whatever. Just kicking them all out wouldn't be the answer either, both because it is somewhat inhumane and crippling to the economy...

Edited by SleepyWhiteSox

QUOTE(SleepyWhiteSox @ Mar 13, 2006 -> 04:53 AM)
Ok, I probably did take some...

And I'm not blaming the U.S.  I'm just saying it can do a better job if it's truly a problem.  Since the government hasn't, maybe it isn't as bad as those who b**** and moan say it is?  I really don't know...

And to bring it all together...I don't mean silly laws that will arrest and jail doctors, social workers, school teachers and who knows who else if they assist illegal immigrants.  I mean laws and programs that will deal with it properly, whether it be an efficient guest worker program or whatever.  Just kicking them all out wouldn't be the answer either, both because it is somewhat inhumane and crippling to the economy...

It's the second biggest problem this country faces behind terrorism. Period.

And here's my GWB swipe of the day - he's an assmunch on this issue. TOTALLY clueless about how to handle it, despite dealing with it as a governor of Texas.

As far as kicking them out because it would be "crippling to the economy", no it wouldn't.

QUOTE(SleepyWhiteSox @ Mar 12, 2006 -> 11:22 PM)
22.  Out of college.  Full-time job.  Yep, I pay rent, utilities, taxes, living expenses, etc.  I like watching baseball, long walks on the beach, and cuddling.  Anything else?

:D

Nicely played.

I don't happen to agree with you on this issue, but I certainly agree that no one on this board needs to be badgering others about their personal status (age, race, work, etc.).

QUOTE(SleepyWhiteSox @ Mar 13, 2006 -> 04:42 AM)

I'm for the United States setting up the proper laws, programs, etc. to regulate it efficiently.  Since it doesn't, I can see why people come here illegally.

Can you give me an example of how someone here used this "racism and stereotyping" in a post that lead you to make this comment. I read through the whole thread and I can't find one besides your post that states it. Please show me an example of this and why you had to bring this into the argument at all. Thank you.

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Mar 13, 2006 -> 07:06 AM)
:D

Nicely played.

I don't happen to agree with you on this issue, but I certainly agree that no one on this board needs to be badgering others about their personal status (age, race, work, etc.).

There was no "badgering" involved. It was simply an attempt to get an idea of one's situation, when said situation almost certainly influences that person's stance on a particular issue.

QUOTE(southsideirish @ Mar 13, 2006 -> 12:39 PM)
Can you give me an example of how someone here used this "racism and stereotyping" in a post that lead you to make this comment. I read through the whole thread and I can't find one besides your post that states it. Please show me an example of this and why you had to bring this into the argument at all. Thank you.

I agree 100%. Just like screaming racism, any attempt to bring in personal details, only serves to make the arugment personal. There is plenty to argue about just on the merits of the argument, without worrying about how old someone is etc.

QUOTE(WCSox @ Mar 13, 2006 -> 02:08 PM)
There was no "badgering" involved.  It was simply an attempt to get an idea of one's situation, when said situation almost certainly influences that person's stance on a particular issue.

You asked twice, in a negative tone, about a poster's age and employment. Then you belittled them because of their age and marital status. It makes it hard to have a reasonable discussion with you when you do things like that.

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Mar 13, 2006 -> 11:16 AM)
You asked twice, in a negative tone, about a poster's age and employment.  Then you belittled them because of their age and marital status.  It makes it hard to have a reasonable discussion with you when you do things like that.

Funny, that same person implied that people who oppose illegal immigration do so out of racism. Talk about a "negtative tone." :rolly I have a difficult time having a reasonable discussion when people do things like that.

Edited by WCSox