Afghanistan to enforce Death Penalty...

Rex Kickass

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Mar 24, 2006 -> 09:06 AM)
I assumed that jackiehays' quote, from Chapter I Article II of the Afghan constitution, was correct.  I did not verify it myself.  If it is not, along with other parts I have seen quoted in news clips, then that obviously changes things.

I think her quote is accurate in that you're free to practice other religions, but the government has also seen fit to ban conversion, and they may choose to ban other practices in the future. Hence, there's really only religious freedom on a quirky level vastly below how we'd define it in this country.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Mar 24, 2006 -> 01:09 PM)
I think her quote is accurate in that you're free to practice other religions, but the government has also seen fit to ban conversion, and they may choose to ban other practices in the future.  Hence, there's really only religious freedom on a quirky level vastly below how we'd define it in this country.

Jackie's a a "he."

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Mar 24, 2006 -> 11:09 AM)
I think her quote is accurate in that you're free to practice other religions, but the government has also seen fit to ban conversion, and they may choose to ban other practices in the future.  Hence, there's really only religious freedom on a quirky level vastly below how we'd define it in this country.

Hm. I guess I should actually go and read the entire Afghan Constitution to get a clearer picture.

:sleep

QUOTE(Soxy @ Mar 24, 2006 -> 05:14 PM)
Jackie's a a "he."

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU

:cheers :cheers :cheers

And Balta? :headshake Not cool.

Jackie Hayes = Sox 2nd baseman in the 30s. And a dude.

There is no "official" English language version of the Afghan constitution. The quote is from a site that was linked from a FindLaw.com article, and FindLaw is reputable, so I'm assuming it's good.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Mar 24, 2006 -> 01:33 PM)
You guys have to understand Islam a little better.  The guy isn't being killed because he is a Christian.  He is being killed because he was Islamic and converted to Christianity, which is a mortal sin according to the Koran.  There is a difference there.

Still a tough sell. The crime is the "act" of conversion -- meaning conversion is necessarily an "action" as opposed to a "discovery".

It seems as though, under this interpretation, a foreigner convert visiting Afghanistan could also be executed. The Koran is the highest law, and the Koran's restriction isn't limited to the borders of Afghanistan.

The more I look at it, the more I think the Afghan Constitution is a joke -- there are a million little bits about 'You have this right, unless it's prohibited by law...' You have this right, unless you don't. This is exactly the situation everyone was worried about -- conservative clerics can annul anywhere they see fit. Are there any real protections?

And didn't Karzai appoint the courts? That seems to be what the Constitution calls for. How did he let people like this on the bench?

A diplomatic source tells NBC News:  In response to what the Afghan government is calling "the unprecedented international outcry," the Afghan government intends to release Abdul Rahman by Monday barring any unforseen circumstances. That would mean he would be out by Sunday U.S. time. This comes after a very tough call yesterday from Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice to Afghan President Hamid Karzai. In particular, Rice wants the issue resolved quickly before she has to testify at scheduled congressional hearings next week. The controversy threatens to blow up politically for the president at a time when billions of dollars in supplemental aid to pay for the Afghan war and reconstruction are pending.

The primary basis for the release would be the Afghan's claim that Rahman is not mentally competent to stand trial. However, Rice has warned Karzai that that is not an appropriate solution. In any case, he would probably be given security and taken out of the country -- most likely to Germany.

Secondly:  NBC News has learned that Karzai will submit nominees for a nine-member Afghan Supreme Court to parliament for confirmation, along with his new, 26-member cabinet. The Supreme Court -- once confirmed -- would help avoid future conflicts between the Afghan Constutition's guarantee of free speech and the underlying premises of Islamic law. However, that is long-term -- the court would likely not be confirmed by the parliament for at least a month.

Link