Game Advice

Gregory Pratt

Hey, during warm-ups and before the game and stuff, where can a fan before the game catch a player for an autograph or to have a few words? My friend and I are going, and though he's a Cubs fan, he loves Freddy, and Freddy should be pitching Sunday, so we'd like to hopefully catch his signature or say hello.

You know, during batting practice and stuff, just go behind the plate and hopefully the players are feeling friendly, or what?

Ya, pitchers do not sign on game day (the starting pitcher that is). They ahve to go through all there stretching and get in there long toss (to warm the arms) and usually they have a bit of a meeting before the game with the catcher and pitching coach as well where they discuss the approaches and all that good stuff.

Plus the Sox are going to have Freddy warm up a little longer for this start to see if they can get him loosened up.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Apr 9, 2006 -> 04:29 PM)
Ya, pitchers do not sign on game day (the starting pitcher that is).  They ahve to go through all there stretching and get in there long toss (to warm the arms) and usually they have a bit of a meeting before the game with the catcher and pitching coach as well where they discuss the approaches and all that good stuff.

Plus the Sox are going to have Freddy warm up a little longer for this start to see if they can get him loosened up.

So otherwise there's still a chance I can get to another of the guys and say a few words and stuff?

QUOTE(Gregory Pratt @ Apr 9, 2006 -> 02:30 PM)
So otherwise there's still a chance I can get to another of the guys and say a few words and stuff?

As long as the starter isn't pitching, sure. I haven't gone for auto's in a long time, but usually anywhere from the dugout down the line on either teams side and your in a good spot.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Apr 9, 2006 -> 04:32 PM)
As long as the starter isn't pitching, sure.  I haven't gone for auto's in a long time, but usually anywhere from the dugout down the line on either teams side and your in a good spot.

Ah, so I should just bum around the dugout? That's before the game, right?

QUOTE(Gregory Pratt @ Apr 9, 2006 -> 02:33 PM)
Ah, so I should just bum around the dugout? That's before the game, right?

Ya, get there early cause thats the best time, imo. Dugout and over by the outfield when they do stretching and all that good stuff. I've never tried at the cell but thats where people usually sign at most stadiums.

Spring Training and Soxfest are the time for autographs or going to the team hotel in a road city. It's hard to get autographs at US Cellular, especially with all of the little kids down there.

QUOTE(AddisonStSox @ Apr 9, 2006 -> 05:26 PM)
If you're above the age of ten, you should not be making this thread.

I bet you bring your glove to the ballpark too, don't you?

Actually, I haven't in ages, but I am going to Sunday.

We all like to enjoy things differently. Kiss my ass. :P

QUOTE(AddisonStSox @ Apr 9, 2006 -> 06:26 PM)
If you're above the age of ten, you should not be making this thread.

I bet you bring your glove to the ballpark too, don't you?

I do sometimes and I really don't care what people think. The 6 year old boy that fell in love with baseball will not change 20 years later or 30,40,50 for that matter. Like Greggory said, we all enjoy the game in a different way and I respect that.

you can get autographs sometimes standing on the west side of the sox dugout but you have to be there real early and sometimes the security wont let you be there.

You can always get Man Soo's autograph! Its almost hard to go to a white sox game and not get his autograph.

QUOTE(rangercal @ Apr 9, 2006 -> 08:42 PM)
I do sometimes and I really don't care what people think.

I always do. Hell, I almost caught like 2-3 foul balls (some liners) in my life and if your a good catch, like I am, :D it's always good to get one, and even protect others who have infants and such. I remember last season, Timo caught a flyball and threw just 2 rows away from me n my little bro in the (homerun) stands. Being that close was a trill for me and my little brother.

Edited by SoxAce

QUOTE(Gregory Pratt @ Apr 9, 2006 -> 05:48 PM)
Actually, I haven't in ages, but I am going to Sunday.

We all like to enjoy things differently. Kiss my ass. :P

LOL you tell him. I havent done it in a while, but dont have a problem with grown folks doin it either, as long as they are not in sections 507, 508, or any section that far.

QUOTE(LosMediasBlancas @ Apr 9, 2006 -> 09:45 PM)
Don't mean to side track this thread, but this is kind of related.

Now that the gates are opening earlier, has anyone been able to catch the Sox taking bp this season?  Thx.

I saw some sox BP opening day. It was just the end of it though (and I got in as the gates opened).

are the gates consistently opening earlier or was that an opening series-lots of people thing?

I dont but I dont think theres anything wrong with bringing a mitt, (especially if you get a ball)