draft pick

cwsox

WHITE SOX SELECT CENTER FIELDER BRIAN ANDERSON

WITH 15th PICK IN TODAY’S FIRST-YEAR PLAYER DRAFT

CHICAGO - The Chicago White Sox selected center fielder Brian Anderson of the University of Arizona with the club’s first-round pick (15th overall) in today’s Major League Baseball First-Year Player Draft.

Anderson, 21, batted .366 (85-232) with 14 home runs and 62 RBI in 57 games during his junior season. The right-handed batter collected 12 doubles, three triples and scored 58 runs with 17 stolen bases while leading his team to a 35-23 record and a berth in the NCAA Regionals. He posted a .425 on-base percentage and .668 slugging percentage for Arizona.

„Brian is an impressive five-tool player,“ said Doug Laumann, White Sox director of scouting. "He hits for power, runs well and has a very strong arm.

„We are pleased to add an individual with his athletic abilities to the White Sox organization,“ said Laumann. „He has proven he can compete at the highest levels, having had success in the Pac-10 conference.“

Anderson last week was named to the All-Pac-10 team along with three of his Wildcat teammates. The 6-foot-3, 200-pounder hit .342 with 23 home runs and 130 RBI with 31 stolen bases in three seasons at Arizona.

„I had a feeling I was going to the White Sox,“ said Anderson. „Living five minutes away from Tucson Electric Park, I’ve had a chance to see a number of spring training games. I hope my advancement through the system will be quick, but I know the White Sox have a great outfield. I’m very familiar with Carlos Lee, Joe Borchard and Magglio Ordonez, but I really believe eventually I can use all five tools at the major-league level.“

The native of Tucson, Ariz. was a Collegiate Baseball First-Team Freshman All-American in 2001 and has played for Cotuit and the Bourne Braves in the Cape Cod League each of the last two summers. He was also a member of the silver medal Junior Olympics team following his senior year at Canyon Del Oro High School.

Anderson joins left-handed pitcher Royce Ring (2002, 18th overall), right-handed pitcher Kris Honel (2001, 16th) and current Sox outfielder Joe Borchard (2000, 12th) as the last three first-round picks for the organization. Anderson was recommended by White Sox scout John Kazanas.

-30-

© 2003 Chicago White Sox

This was an awesome pick in my book. I think he's going to make a huge impact in a few years at the major league level.

Considering we have Reed, Webster, Borchard, and now Anderson, Sweeney (Likely to move to first), and this King guy.

2nd round we took Ryan Sweeney out of Cedar Rapids, Ia HS. He is signed with San Diego State. Projected late 1st rounder and rated 14th best HS prospect in nation. Here is some info.

Sweeney has an opportunity to go in the latter part of the first round, but his lackluster performance at the Perfect Game predraft showcase may knock him down into the second. With a 6-foot-5, 200-pound build, high-80s fastball and promising curveball, he has plenty of pitching potential. But the consensus is that his future is as an outfielder. Besides his size, his bat, power potential and arm strength are all plus tools. He's comparable to Brewers minor league slugger Brad Nelson, a fourth-round pick out of an Iowa high school two years ago. Sweeney doesn't have quite as much juice in his bat and can get more pull-conscious, but he's more athletic and looks more fluid at the plate. He also can play right field, while Nelson is most likely a first baseman. Sweeney's best chance to become Iowa's first prep first-rounder may come from the Twins, who like big, strong Midwest players, or the Braves, who have two supplemental picks.

„I had a feeling I was going to the White Sox,“ said Anderson. „Living five minutes away from Tucson Electric Park, I’ve had a chance to see a number of spring training games. I hope my advancement through the system will be quick, but I know the White Sox have a great outfield. I’m very familiar with Carlos Lee, Joe Borchard and Magglio Ordonez, but I really believe eventually I can use all five tools at the major-league level.“

If you're lucky, you might play with Borchard After White Flag II Mr. Anderson.

Must have been a bad feeling knowing you were going to a team with a cheap ass owner, an incompetent GM, and a moron as a manager :rolleyes:

I think the Sox will have to give him something like a million buck bonus, but I think they are going to do it. They wouldn't of went after him if they didn't plan on paying him first round money. Just my two cents.

I think they realized how good he was and decided it will be worth the money.

If we sign him, he could only play 4 highschool games in his senior season since his baseball season is just starting up. I think its a tough sign and they may wait on him, but eventually they'll lock him up. I'd like him to play a full shortseason this year. This guy has the talent to play a full year next year, but thats only going to happen if they lock him up early (My guess).

Another real tough sign is the shortstop we drafted in the 6th or 7th. It was nice that we drafted someone else from the school (Hopefully his buddy) that way we could hopefully pull some leverage and bring both of them in. Don't know what the Sox were thinking on that though.

I think the Sox will have to give him something like a million buck bonus, but I think they are going to do it.  They wouldn't of went after him if they didn't plan on paying him first round money.  Just my two cents. 

I think they realized how good he was and decided it will be worth the money. 

If we sign him, he could only play 4 highschool games in his senior season since his baseball season is just starting up.  I think its a tough sign and they may wait on him, but eventually they'll lock him up.  I'd like him to play a full shortseason this year.  This guy has the talent to play a full year next year, but thats only going to happen if they lock him up early (My guess). 

Another real tough sign is the shortstop we drafted in the 6th or 7th.  It was nice that we drafted someone else from the school (Hopefully his buddy) that way we could hopefully pull some leverage and bring both of them in.  Don't know what the Sox were thinking on that though.

Good stuff thanks Chisoxfan :cheers

No prob. I'm working with a few other writers on getting together a full page with short notes on all the Sox picks. Thats going to take a few days though cause we got a ton of research to do for it.

Once its done though, I'll get it up on futuresox as well as put it up on Soxnet.

Man I love the draft. Another thing to help take my mind off the White Sox problems :headbang