NSA logging all domestic calls

NorthSideSox72

QUOTE(Texsox @ May 18, 2006 -> 12:00 PM)
I applaud Bush and Co. for their honesty in this nomination. He's a military guy and they aren't hiding it.

No they certainly are not.

And it was very shrewd to have Hayden testify to the Intelligence Committee yesterday as well. It blunts some of the questions that he is going to face during the confirmation hearing, and it also puts a big honking "Classified" stamp on everything the Committee heard yesterday. That means that many questions that yesterday would have been speculative and fair game are now off the table.

The one question I want (but don't expect will be) asked is, was there some incarnation of the warrantless domestic spying operation in existence prior to 9-11. Early reports suggersed there was. If so, it would undercut all of the smoke and mirror overtures about Congress authorizing the program with the AUMF because it would have preceeded it.

Not that I expect we would get an answer to the question if it was asked either.

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Of course there are a couple answers

Classified secrets? No

Classified illegal government activites? Yes

Finding non-classified sources and intimidating them into silence? A big no.

QUOTE(Texsox @ May 18, 2006 -> 04:32 PM)
Of course there are a couple answers

Classified secrets? No

Classified illegal government activites? Yes

Finding non-classified sources and intimidating them into silence? A big no.

^^^^^

That pretty much covers it, except to say that abusing a provision of the Patriot Act to get at journo phone records in order to do the intimidating is also something we should all take issue with.

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ May 11, 2006 -> 10:28 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
http://www.cnn.com/2006/POLITICS/05/11/nsa...s.ap/index.html

Disturbing. Seriously. This government is getting away with far too much in this surveillance. It needs to stop.

Isn't it funny? The terrorists supposedly hate us for our freedom, yet our own government is invading our privacy. :rolly

Edited by santo=dorf

QUOTE(santo=dorf @ May 21, 2006 -> 02:04 PM)
Isn't it funny? The terrorists supposedly hate us for our freedom, yet our own government is invading our privacy. :rolly

its the job of the courts to keep the legislative and/or executive power in check. the bill passed in congress and was even co-written by leahy, a democrat. until a court says it is illegal, the fact of the matter is that the wiretapping is not illegal. let me know when a court orders the NSA to stop tapping domestic calls.

Edited by samclemens