KW: Make a run at Tejada

Al Lopez's Ghost

Just thinking out loud here, but there aren't that many ways to improve our offense right now. Centerfield and shortstop are where we could use some production. Orioles aren't going anywhere again so maybe they'd listen to an offer. KW has to spend the extra starting pitching sometime, right? Uribe, BMac or Garland, a top flight minor leaguer (Josh Fields?) and a prospect? Who knows, maybe it could happen. Wouldn't mind getting some midinnings bullpen help in the deal.

Is there anyone out there with an opinion on this?

QUOTE(kyyle23 @ May 28, 2006 -> 07:44 AM)
While a swap of Tejada and Matos/Patterson for Uribe/BA/minor leaguers would be enticing, I am going to have to say that this will be just a fantasy for us, nothing more.

Trading Tejada for a package of Uribe, Anderson and minor leaguers would be suicide for Angelos. If he's available, its going to take a huge package to get him, including starting pitching off the major league roster.

QUOTE(winninguglyin83 @ May 28, 2006 -> 09:51 AM)
We can live with Uribe at SS. He just has to refocus. He's shown he can play well for a post-season team.

What we're lacking is another solid middle relief guy and a center fielder.

Those are the two problems Kenny W needs to address.

Not if he keeps swinging for the fences.

Both he and Anderson have awful approaches at the plate right now.

QUOTE(aboz56 @ May 28, 2006 -> 09:02 AM)
Not if he keeps swinging for the fences.

Both he and Anderson have awful approaches at the plate right now.

Right now Andeson's approach is so much better than Uribe's, it's not even funny. Atleast Brian is walking, his OBP is currently over 100 points higher than his batting average meaning he's not hitting but he is getting on base. Uribe is swinging at everything, attempting to hit it 500 feet and either striking out because of it or popping out to the SS.

Atleast one of them is walking every once in a while.

QUOTE(BigSqwert @ May 28, 2006 -> 09:57 AM)
Garland/Uribe for Tejada?

GARLAND CAN NOT BE TRADED THIS SEASON.

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ May 28, 2006 -> 01:10 PM)
Trading Tejada for a package of Uribe, Anderson and minor leaguers would be suicide for Angelos. If he's available, its going to take a huge package to get him, including starting pitching off the major league roster.

Would it really? Remember when Billy "I'm a baseball god" Beane traded 2 of the 'Big 3'? He didn't get that much for them, and if anyone was going to try and fleece someone, it would be him. It depends on whether or not Angelos would prefer to save money. One of our starters and 2 top minor leaguers could do it. O's pitching is terrible, anyone we have would be an upgrade. Plus, the 6-10 million a year he would save he can spend on other FA's next year, if he wants. Of course, he may value Tejada even more than that, in which case your scenerio would be correct. But until someone makes an offer, I guess we will not know. I would be fine with Anderson's production if it wasn't that Uribe also sucks. We can hide one poor bat for defense, harder to hide 2.

QUOTE(shawnhillegas @ May 28, 2006 -> 10:24 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
terrible? no. hes not very good offensively, but uribe is terrible, wilson is just mediocre. but yes, hes overpaid.

Coming into this season career: .263/.304/.372. With the decent year (for him) he is currently having, it's pushed up to .265/.306/.372

Uribe coming into this season: .262/.305/.432. Damn close to Wilson except for 60 more points in Slg. How is Wilson better again? With his woeful performance so far this year, Uribe is down to .258/.301/.424

Wilson sucks

QUOTE(EvilMonkey @ May 28, 2006 -> 10:10 AM)
Would it really? Remember when Billy "I'm a baseball god" Beane traded 2 of the 'Big 3'? He didn't get that much for them, and if anyone was going to try and fleece someone, it would be him. It depends on whether or not Angelos would prefer to save money. One of our starters and 2 top minor leaguers could do it. O's pitching is terrible, anyone we have would be an upgrade. Plus, the 6-10 million a year he would save he can spend on other FA's next year, if he wants. Of course, he may value Tejada even more than that, in which case your scenerio would be correct. But until someone makes an offer, I guess we will not know. I would be fine with Anderson's production if it wasn't that Uribe also sucks. We can hide one poor bat for defense, harder to hide 2.

I don't remember what Hudson brought to the A's, but Daric Barton, Danny Haren and Kiki Calero isn't much? Since when?

QUOTE(nitetrain8601 @ May 28, 2006 -> 12:37 PM)
I don't remember what Hudson brought to the A's, but Daric Barton, Danny Haren and Kiki Calero isn't much? Since when?

The Atlanta Braves have acquired standout righthander Tim Hudson from the Oakland Athletics in exchange for outfielder Charles Thomas, right-handed pitcher Juan Cruz and left-handed pitcher Dan Meyer.

QUOTE(santo=dorf @ May 28, 2006 -> 10:59 AM)
Coming into this season career: .263/.304/.372. With the decent year (for him) he is currently having, it's pushed up to .265/.306/.372

Uribe coming into this season: .262/.305/.432. Damn close to Wilson except for 60 more points in Slg. How is Wilson better again? With his woeful performance so far this year, Uribe is down to .258/.301/.424

Wilson sucks

Good point....but the name of the game is what have you done for me lately?

Lately Jack Wilson is far superior, hitting .299 with 5 homeruns and 17 rbi's, compared to Uribe's .199.

I hate to say it, but if Juan keeps hitting this way, I'm all for acquiring someone for him, Wilson or someone else.

There is no reason for trading away talent and acquiring a contract for around $16 million just for a .100 point increase in batting average.

Wilson is the one of Pittsburgh's only "stars" (how sad is that?) He's as much as an option as Derrek Jeter IMO.

QUOTE(santo=dorf @ May 28, 2006 -> 01:27 PM)
There is no reason for trading away talent and acquiring a contract for around $16 million just for a .100 point increase in batting average.

Wilson is the one of Pittsburgh's only "stars" (how sad is that?) He's as much as an option as Derrek Jeter IMO.

Right now as much as I hate to say it, Wilson is better than Uribe, hell Pedro Lopez may be better than Uribe right now.

If this trend continues I wouldn't mind acquiring Wilson, BUT I'd rather see another arm in the bullpen, and a centerfielder. Once those two areas are addressed, I wouldn't mind taking a look at the shortstop position.

I honestly feel the bullpen and centerfield positions should be are main concern right now.

CWSOX45

For the pen I'd like Kenny to take a look at these guys: (Don't bust my balls on some of these, I am unaware of these guys contract situations, no trade clause etc, I'm just throwing some names out there.)

Chris Ray. (Only been in the league two years, but has a career 2.55 era. Would be a nice righty for our pen.)

Rafael Soriano-(might be hard to pry him from the Mariners, but I really like his stuff, teammate George Sherrill would be another option if Ozzie wants another lefty)

Jon Rauch-(Yes, the same exact Jon Rauch that we traded to Montreal. In 28 innings has posted a 1.93 era, while compiling 26 K's compared to only 11 walks. Another possibly target on the Nationals would be former Sox prospect Gary Majewski)

Mike Gonzalez (a pretty good lefty in Pittsburgh).