Different Immigration Horse to Beat

Texsox

I also feel that illegal immigration needs to stop. Those who think that we should just let whoever feels like walking over the border come, that's just a recipe for disaster. At the very least, make these people fill out some papers and give them a card so we can know who is in our country and what they're doing if they aren't a citizen.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Steff @ Jun 1, 2006 -> 04:24 PM)
What's that mean...? It's real dollars out the paycheck!

Every year the average price level goes up by some amount, lately 2-3%. Meaning, to buy exactly the same stuff you bought last year costs 2-3% more -- inflation. (Everyone buys different stuff, so inflation is different for different people. The CPI is basically the average over everyone in the US.) Because you need more (nominal) dollars to buy more (real) stuff, it makes sense to adjust dollar values so that it corresponds to the amount of stuff you can buy. After this adjustment for inflation, the value is said to be in "real dollars".

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Jun 1, 2006 -> 12:03 PM)
You are missing my point.

You would be adding them to the system. Right now they do not receive any federal benefits, whereas if legalize they would.

And this is what gets so frustrating. First we hear they are costing us billions in benefits and bankrupting states, then we hear they aren't collecting benefits, but would if made legal. That seems like two different points. So how would you get someone to work these jobs and not receive benefits? And you already know my followup. if it means hgher wages, then why not increase all these low wage jobs, whether at WalMart or Purdue Farms? It would seem that rising wages are the answer, but we were told that business owners needed a tax cut to stimulate the economy, would cutting business profits hurt the ecoomy?

My opinion, after reading way too much about this, most are using fraudulent social security numbers and paying taxes and collecting benefits. I see it as maintaining the current situation. No matter who is working these jobs, benefits will be paid. We can then decide if we should eliminate WIC, day care subsidies, medicade, etc. for poor people. Perhaps we are do for a tightening of our poverty programs.

So we can deport all the undocumented workers, paying that cost, then increase wages in these jobs to the level that Americans will work these jobs. These workers will begin collecting more benefits, and what have we accomplished for our economy?

With our current, and decades long low unemployment rate, we need to bring in workers. We can bring them in to fill the most desirable and high paying jobs, while pushing Americans to pick lettuce, but that seems like a mistake. I'd rather immigrants fill the least desirable jobs, and push Americans to the better jobs.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Jun 1, 2006 -> 02:55 PM)
Because the guy you cited was clearly right down the middle and totally unbiased, like all Heritage people are.

Here's the raw CBO data. Tell me which part they changed.

Did I claim the Heritage report was non-partisan????? Didn't think so!!!!!!!!!!!!!

By the way, the bill the Senate passed is illegal. DOA...Revenue raising legislation cannot originate in the Senate vis-a-vis the collection of back taxes, ergo no Senate bill. But , Frist says the way around this is to attach the bill to a tax bill that already passed the House and then send it committee.