7 killed in Indianapolis

Soxy

Link

I saw this break on NYT. Very sad story. I hope they find whoever did this. . .

7 Family Members Slain in Indianapolis

Article Tools Sponsored By

By THE ASSOCIATED PRESS

Published: June 2, 2006

INDIANAPOLIS (AP) -- Seven family members, the youngest just 5 years old, were shot to death in their home, and police said Friday they were seeking at least two suspects. The attack appeared to have been a home invasion, but not random, Deputy Police Chief Tim Foley said. He said investigators were considering several possible motives.

Police reached the house on the city's east side shortly after 10 p.m. Thursday after a witness saw one of the victims being dragged inside and heard gunfire.

In the home, officers found three children -- ages 5 to 11 -- dead on a bed and the bodies of four adults scattered inside, police said. All had been shot in what officials described as the city's worst mass killings in decades.

Police Chief Michael Spears released a photo of one suspect Friday morning, Desmond Turner, 28, an Indianapolis resident with a criminal history that includes time served for pointing a handgun and criminal recklessness. Police said they were searching for another man and witnesses reported seeing three or four men running from the back of the house.

The seven victims spanned three generations of a family, from 5-year-old Luis Albarran to his grandmother Emma Valdez.

Luis had spent the evening with his grandmother while his mother, Flora Albarran, was out running errands with a friend, police said. Albarran, 22, arrived about 10 p.m. to pick the boy up.

When Albarran walked up to the house and opened the door, her friend saw a light come on and heard Albarran shout: ''Don't do that! My child!''

She yelled to her friend not to come in the house, then the friend heard gunshots and Albarran screaming, police said a news release. A man holding a long gun stepped onto the porch, and the shootings continued inside, the friend told police.

Authorities identified the victims as Emma Valdez, 46, and her husband, Alberto Covarrubias, 56; Flora Albarran and her brother Magno Albarran, 29; Alberto Covarrubias, 11; David Covarrubias, 8 or 9; and young Luis.

Neighbor Frank Dodson, 49, said Valdez' husband had been at his home earlier that evening and nothing appeared to be wrong.

''They were real friendly people,'' he said. ''You couldn't ask for better neighbors. God, I hate to see this happen.''

At the home Friday morning, an iron security door stood open as the officers passed in and out, and a wind chime hung in one window. Police had no history of calls to the home apart from one to check on an alarm.

Neighbors said that the area had declined in recent years and that drug crimes and muggings had become more common.

''We have been complaining and complaining,'' said Sandy Washington, 65, who said she had gone to neighborhood meetings to report drugs and prostitution in the area. ''Our voices aren't heard.''

Thursday's slayings were the city's worst since King Edward Bell, a laid-off autoworker, killed his estranged wife, mother-in-law and four children in 1981. Bell was sentenced to six consecutive 40-year prison terms.

Edited by Soxy

http://www.cnn.com/2006/US/06/03/indianapo...ings/index.html

INDIANAPOLIS, Indiana (CNN) -- The man police consider the prime suspect in the slayings of seven family members surrendered to police at a fast-food restaurant Saturday evening, a police source said.

Desmond Turner, 28, has been charged with seven counts of murder and seven counts of felony murder.

He was with family members and a minister when he turned himself in at a Hardee's restaurant about 7 p.m., police said. A confidential informant notified police that Turner wanted to surrender, police said. (Watch police describe Turner's surrender -- 4:37)

"He didn't turn himself in out of remorse. He turned himself in because he had no place to go," Deputy Chief Tim Foley told reporters Saturday night. (Watch how the net closed -- 1:10)

I'll bet Hardees is excited about all the free publicity.

QUOTE(Texsox @ Jun 4, 2006 -> 01:46 AM)
http://www.cnn.com/2006/US/06/03/indianapo...ings/index.html

I'll bet Hardees is excited about all the free publicity.

But comparing it to the publicity that Browns Chicken recieved, I bet Hardee's is happy with this form.

I'm curious as all heck as to what the motive was. It says in that article that before entering he knew he was going to kill everybody. That's f'ed up. Nice to see he was worried about getting the death penalty, atleast he values his own life. Prick.