Intentionally walking Hafner

stretchstretch

not something you normally want to endorse, but this guy flat out has the Sox number, anyone else prefer just put him on 1st base than continually have him hit or just miss 3 run jacks?

After yesterday's game, where he blasts one out and one nearly out off of two lefties nonetheless, I concede the base

QUOTE(Gregory Pratt @ Jun 10, 2006 -> 09:33 AM)
Or you let Javier Vazquez, who owned him last night, face him, instead of playing by the matchup.

Oh, forgive me, I'm second guessing!

I can't second guess, but if we lose one game by protecting Vazquez from throwing a ridiculous amount of pitches it doesn't bother me. However, in general Vazquez is a freaking machine against LHP for some reason.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Jun 10, 2006 -> 11:40 AM)
I can't second guess, but if we lose one game by protecting Vazquez from throwing a ridiculous amount of pitches it doesn't bother me. However, in general Vazquez is a freaking machine against LHP for some reason.

Vazquez stuff is filthy, but I think he's odd in that he seems to pitch best with hitters in position, and he seems as if he likes to live on the edge and pitch with the attitude of a brinksman.

I hear what you're saying, re: pitch count, but he was only slightly over a hundred, and I think it would've been within reason to keep him in against Hafner.

QUOTE(Gregory Pratt @ Jun 10, 2006 -> 10:02 AM)
Vazquez stuff is filthy, but I think he's odd in that he seems to pitch best with hitters in position, and he seems as if he likes to live on the edge and pitch with the attitude of a brinksman.

I hear what you're saying, re: pitch count, but he was only slightly over a hundred, and I think it would've been within reason to keep him in against Hafner.

Wasn't he at 111? And considering he had a few jams, he seems to throw a lot of "high stress" pitches. I say better safe than sorry, plus Cotts is very good against both LHP and RHP...Haffner just beat him.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Jun 10, 2006 -> 12:04 PM)
Wasn't he at 111? And considering he had a few jams, he seems to throw a lot of "high stress" pitches. I say better safe than sorry, plus Cotts is very good against both LHP and RHP...Haffner just beat him.

I thought he was at 105, but let's say he was at 111. I have no problem letting him have perhaps ten more against Hafner. I don't think we should make it routine to have our pitchers go that deep into games, but in that case, with Hafner? Sure.

I guess I've just been burnt by our bullpen versus Hafner, and just really would rather have a guy who had been consistently getting him out over a bullpen that hadn't.

Although I'd have been much happier with Thornton in that situation.

There are those few players out there that always seem to have the Sox number, and always seem to be at bat in the late innings with men on. I would walk Hafner almost every damn at bat. Up until this year, Sweeney was one of those guys. Torrii Hunter was one too, until he screwed up his ankle.

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Jun 11, 2006 -> 01:35 PM)
Give him the Pujols treatment, unless V Mart is red hot, and call it a day. He's a monster, and even moreso against us.

Martinez has been red hot this month. Walking Hafner in May would have been a great idea.