For you ISU fans...

lol, you can't even fill jack trice now, what's the need for some kind of expansion? iirc, isu offered discount tickets for the colorado game last year (with the b12 north title on the line) and still couldn't sell the place out. every 2 years, that place would be full when nebraska and iowa brings its fanbases. other than to appease those 2 fanbases, that expansion is pointless.

also, iirc isu doesn't exactly fill hilton on a regular basis.

QUOTE(BabyJesus69 @ Jun 17, 2006 -> 11:02 AM)
lol, you can't even fill jack trice now, what's the need for some kind of expansion? iirc, isu offered discount tickets for the colorado game last year (with the b12 north title on the line) and still couldn't sell the place out. every 2 years, that place would be full when nebraska and iowa brings its fanbases. other than to appease those 2 fanbases, that expansion is pointless.

also, iirc isu doesn't exactly fill hilton on a regular basis.

There's been two years since 1998 when attendace at ISU, per game, has not increased. I think they plan on continuing the upward trend.

http://www.kenn.com/sports/football/ncaa/

An Iowa fan also has no room to talk on attendance at basketball games. It took a Big 10 tournament championship team to edge an Iowa State team that did not qualify for a postseason tourney in attendance this year.

Part of selling tickets is making the stadium more desirable to come to. Once the place looks a little less like a glorified Texas high school stadium and more like a college atmosphere, more people will show. This year will probably be tough on the football team, but Pollard evidently thinks we'll get to the place where we'll sell out a horseshoed Jack Trice in 5 years.

They are adding suites and concourse to Hilton, I think there will actually be seats removed...

QUOTE(Heads22 @ Jun 17, 2006 -> 02:44 PM)
There's been two years since 1998 when attendace at ISU, per game, has not increased. I think they plan on continuing the upward trend.

http://www.kenn.com/sports/football/ncaa/

An Iowa fan also has no room to talk on attendance at basketball games. It took a Big 10 tournament championship team to edge an Iowa State team that did not qualify for a postseason tourney in attendance this year.

i'd like for you to find a year that iowa state has outdrawn iowa on a per game average for basketball

Iowa has always outsold ISU in both sports. Fact is there were numerous times in previous years when it seemed like half the student section never showed up. I was at ISU @ Iowa two years ago, where 1/3 of the Hawk's Nest was filled. This past year is the mystifiing part, where Iowa averaged 111 more fans a game.

Ask coaches in the country where they'd rather not play between the two schools. Football teams will say Kinnick and basketball teams will say Hilton, and it's not even close.

However, we both know attendance doesn't win conference championships. Superior facilities aid in recruiting. ISU wants to have the best facilities in the state.

QUOTE(Heads22 @ Jun 17, 2006 -> 04:34 PM)
Ask coaches in the country where they'd rather not play between the two schools. Football teams will say Kinnick and basketball teams will say Hilton, and it's not even close.

something tells me that the 7 home losses you had last year would indicate something other than that

QUOTE(BabyJesus69 @ Jun 19, 2006 -> 10:42 AM)
something tells me that the 7 home losses you had last year would indicate something other than that

Come now, even when ISU was a bowl team and Iowa sucked Ferentz's first few years, don't you think people would still have rather gone to JT than Kinnick?

Last year was by far the low water mark for Hilton. WM couldn't coach at home. I don't know why.

QUOTE(tealeafreaderii @ Jun 22, 2006 -> 06:23 PM)
I love it they raise tuition every year and cut budget every year....

the value of the degree I'm soon to get is rapidly decreasing...

But hey, why not drop several million on new sport facilities? :lolhitting

Where the money is coming from:

Annual Revenue Sources

Suites and Club Seats $2,160,000

Private Fundraising ($25 million) $1,000,000

National Cyclone Club $500,000

Athletics Department Operations $500,000

Existing Student Maintenance Fee $400,000

Total Annual Revenue Sources

Annual Revenue Sources

Additional Seats (2,500 @ $300 / seat) $750,000

Athletics Department Operations $475,000

Private Fundraising ($10 million) $400,000

Total Annual Revenue Sources $1,625,000

The vast majority of this ain't coming from students.

QUOTE(Heads22 @ Jun 22, 2006 -> 11:19 PM)
Where the money is coming from:

Annual Revenue Sources

Suites and Club Seats $2,160,000

Private Fundraising ($25 million) $1,000,000

National Cyclone Club $500,000

Athletics Department Operations $500,000

Existing Student Maintenance Fee $400,000

Total Annual Revenue Sources

Annual Revenue Sources

Additional Seats (2,500 @ $300 / seat) $750,000

Athletics Department Operations $475,000

Private Fundraising ($10 million) $400,000

Total Annual Revenue Sources $1,625,000

The vast majority of this ain't coming from students.

I know... I figured as much...

I just have trouble talking about anything the school does with out getting pissed that every year I'm paying more and more money for school thats getting worse and worse.

Changes look good, but nothing spectacular.

And any comparison between Carver and Hilton is a joke. ISU may not have a ton to brag about in the sports world, but one of those things is that Hilton is a madhouse, and one of the great college BBall arenas. A few years back, watching a game on ESPN, they referred to Hilton as the "center of the college basketball universe". Probably more true geographically than in insinuation, but still made a point. And at least when I was there ('91-'96), the place sold out every game, except a couple of the early-season nobodies like Fort Sill Army Depot and such.

Trice Field, on the other hand, was kind of a joke when I was there. Didn't sell out EVER, even against Iowa. But it wasn't as nice then either, and that was in the midst of ISU's football doldrums ('83 to '97).

QUOTE(Heads22 @ Jun 23, 2006 -> 01:24 PM)
You go to Iowa State?

No, I just love b****ing about tuition increases at school I don't attend

And guess what? In their infinite wisdom they've decided that because on average Engineers make more money post graduation, engineering students should pay a tuition sur-charge. Oh man, I'm really looking forward to being able to annually tell the alumni association to go to hell when they start begging me for money.

QUOTE(tealeafreaderii @ Jun 23, 2006 -> 02:14 PM)
No, I just love b****ing about tuition increases at school I don't attend

And guess what? In their infinite wisdom they've decided that because on average Engineers make more money post graduation, engineering students should pay a tuition sur-charge. Oh man, I'm really looking forward to being able to annually tell the alumni association to go to hell when they start begging me for money.

U of I students/alumni seem to have no trouble complaining, so I couldn't be sure.

Booo engineering.