Greg Couch's Aritcle

Flash Tizzle

http://www.suntimes.com/output/couch/cst-spt-greg021.html

I know few would be surprised if Baker were fired tomorrow. I just found it odd reading Coach's article. Almost as if he knows ahead of all of us yesterday was Dusty's final act. It would surprise me a little bit. I've been under the impression Baker would remain with the Cubs until the season's conclusion. With Hendry seemingly backing him and the likelihood Cubs finishing 4th I figured a manager change wouldn't be warranted. Guess not. Just having "The Dude" in uniform must be wearing thin on management.

Personally, I wouldn't have had the balls to write such in such a definitive manner unless I was 100% sure he would be fired. You have to imagine nearly every Cub fan reading the paper tomorrow will have the same impression. Hell, they may even applaud Pierzynski for finally pushing Baker's job status over the edge.

You people have the same impression? If Baker isn't fired, Couch won't be looking too good. He should know Mariotti has a monopoly on making predictions/statements without being held accountable later.

Edited by Flash Tizzle

I have thought for a long time that Dusty Baker will not return to the Cubs after the All-Star break. I do think that the two crosstown series were musts for him -- he had to win at least one of them in order to have a shot at finishing out the season and his contract. That didn't happen.

We'll see ...

QUOTE(holly wiggins @ Jul 2, 2006 -> 10:58 AM)
I have thought for a long time that Dusty Baker will not return to the Cubs after the All-Star break. I do think that the two crosstown series were musts for him -- he had to win at least one of them in order to have a shot at finishing out the season and his contract. That didn't happen.

We'll see ...

Why is failing to win 2 out of 3 games in either of two series against the team on the other side of town (which in the scheme of 162 games, just aren't that important) a determining factor in the Cubs deciding to allow Baker to finish his contract, than say, being 25 games under 500?

If Cubs management wants to keep Baker, then that's what they're going to do. If they want to fire him, they have plenty of justification to do so already, based on W-L, without accounting for 6 games against the Sox.

QUOTE(Wedge @ Jul 2, 2006 -> 11:32 AM)
Why is failing to win 2 out of 3 games in either of two series against the team on the other side of town (which in the scheme of 162 games, just aren't that important) a determining factor in the Cubs deciding to allow Baker to finish his contract, than say, being 25 games under 500?

If Cubs management wants to keep Baker, then that's what they're going to do. If they want to fire him, they have plenty of justification to do so already, based on W-L, without accounting for 6 games against the Sox.

You're right, it wouldn't be one or two more wins -- it would be more like, if the Cubs had won (or swept) at least one of the series from the Sox, the Cubs would be playing much differently and *wouldn't* have the record they have now. Or, put it this way: upper management might reason that if Dusty can fire up his team to beat the Sox, he is fit to manage -- and if he can't, he isn't.

That's not purely rational or logical, but it's also not outside of the realm of corporate-think. Again, JMO.

ETA: And absolutely true that Baker is only the tip of the iceberg when it comes to problems at that outfit. Unfortunately, the corporate goons rarely fire each other and never fire themselves. Dusty will be the goat in this one (pun intended).

Edited by holly wiggins