Red Sox, Rockies, Padres

redandwhite

Three way's are always good, whatever way you look at it.

Boston Herald:

The Red Sox are attempting to strike a three-way deal with the Rockies and Padres, with third baseman Mike Lowell perhaps shipped out of town and first baseman Ryan Shealy arriving here from the Rockies. The Sox also would presumably obtain a more-than-reputable starter.

Triple-A Pawtucket Red Sox starter David Pauley also was mentioned as part of the Red Sox’ package, although the right-hander was roughed up yesterday, hitting four batters and allowing five runs, three earned, in four innings in the PawSox’ 9-5 loss to Buffalo at McCoy Stadium.

I know Lowell has a bad contract and all, and I know they need an upgrade in their rotation...but why?

Lowell's having a pretty solid year all-around, and he's making the Monster into his beech. I guess I'm just unsure as to why they'd do it.

I guess as a Sox fan, I don't know much about the Red Sox. Why would the Red Sox do that? Is their rotation really that bad?

Actually, I think I just kind of figured it out. Youk moves to 3B, Shealy to 1B, and given pitcher to rotation. Just gotta hope the transition from 1B to 3B doesn't mess with Youk offensively

Edited by witesoxfan

Youkilis is better suited at the hot corner, in my opinion. Theo has coveted Shealy for almost a full year now, or atleast thats what I gather from the constant trade rumors regarding him.

A quote from the Globe, this morning:

"Padres special assignment scout Ted Simmons was still in town checking out the Sox, but Boston has indicated it won't move Kevin Youkilis. Sources were indicating the deal, if consummated, would have the Sox getting Devil Rays shortstop Julio Lugo and Padres righty setup man Scott Linebrink, with Mike Lowell heading to San Diego and Tampa Bay receiving prospects from Boston."

Perhaps all this means, is that the Red Sox could be making some major changes, but all these potential deals are riding on one another.

Theo also covets Lugo, and perhaps he is thinking the money that is going to Lowell right now could be used to resign Lugo if Lowell is infact shipped to San Diego.

Just speculation, but what else is there to do, I certainly won't be able to sleep tonight.

- Lowell to San Diego for Linebrink

- Abe Alvarez to Colorado for Ryan Shealy (rumored for weeks now)

- Mark Loretta to *enter team in need of a second baseman here* for prospects

- prospects to Tampa Bay for Julio Lugo

C: Jason Varitek

1b: Ryan Shealy

2b: Julio Lugo

ss: Alex Gonzalez, Dustin Pedroia

3b: Kevin Youkilis

lf: Manny Ramirez

cf: Coco Crisp

rf: Trot Nixon, Wily Mo Pena

dh: David Ortiz

Quite a bit of change for a team in first place, but if you had asked me two years ago to the second if Garciaparra would be traded shortly thereafter, I certainly wouldn't have said it was likely.

One more thought. The injury to Nixon in tonights game could make Wily Mo untradeable and possibly end all of this trade talk.

We'll know more on that shortly, I'm assuming.

Call me crazy, I think someone like Justin Huber who Kansas City have mishandled TERRIBLY, could also be am option for the Red Sox. He'd cost less than Shealy that's for sure.

But I can see why'd they'd do this. I assume Scott Linebrink could be off to Colorado and the Pads get Lowell right?

QUOTE(redandwhite @ Jul 30, 2006 -> 11:28 PM)
Three way's are always good, whatever way you look at it.

Boston Herald:

The Red Sox are attempting to strike a three-way deal with the Rockies and Padres, with third baseman Mike Lowell perhaps shipped out of town and first baseman Ryan Shealy arriving here from the Rockies. The Sox also would presumably obtain a more-than-reputable starter.

Triple-A Pawtucket Red Sox starter David Pauley also was mentioned as part of the Red Sox’ package, although the right-hander was roughed up yesterday, hitting four batters and allowing five runs, three earned, in four innings in the PawSox’ 9-5 loss to Buffalo at McCoy Stadium.

Is David Pauley different than Thomas Pauley? I ask that cause I know I"ve seen a Pauley pitch in the minors and the guy had an insane arm (threw in the upper 90's).

QUOTE(redandwhite @ Jul 31, 2006 -> 10:07 AM)
I'm not familiar with Thomas Pauley, but David Pauley cannot touch the upper 90's. He's more your low-nineties fastball, with a solid change and curveball complimenting it.

So I'm guessing they are infact different.

Alright, I didn't think Thomas was in the Red Sox system. I assume he got hurt or something because he didn't pitch in 05. He was a 2nd round pick of the Reds and I saw him pitch again Winston Salem and wow could he throw gas.

I just heard that the talks were dying down a bit on the three way and the Sawks are trying to get Andrew Jones now. (this of course means Crisp, Hansen, etc.. are likely gone) Only problem is the Braves want Jon Leister and the BoSox don't want to part with him.