Cubs stealing our ads?

gosox41

Anyone hear the latest batch of radio spots the other Chicago team has started? It sounds like it's imitating Sox pride. They have one about why Cub fans stay for the whole game--because it allegedly means something. Also one on why they throw back home run balls.

Maybe it's me, but they're 'What it means to be a Cub fan' concept is similar to the Sox Pride.

I guess it's a good sign that they think highly of our advertising that they wish to imitate us.

Bob

Anyone hear the latest batch of radio spots the other Chicago team has started? It sounds like it's imitating Sox pride. They have one about why Cub fans stay for the whole game--because it allegedly means something. Also one on why they throw back home run balls.

Maybe it's me, but they're 'What it means to be a Cub fan' concept is similar to the Sox Pride.

I guess it's a good sign that they think highly of our advertising that they wish to imitate us.

Bob

Every team does that s***. They don't have an us vs. them or the kids can play or grinder ball, etc.

This one's for *Assclown* in *Assclown City*. Do you even know how many Cubs games you've been to? What if I told you 199? *repeat the word epic over and over again when talking about a meaningless game between the Cubs and Cardinals* /Hang one's self

Not really a "Cubs" commercial but Cubs related none the less.

Cubs ad campaigns have never been good. I remember the late 80s "Cubs Power" spots with hair-rockers romping in the bleachers with blue pinstripe guitars. And, well, if you look at it in the eyes of the Cubs' front office, they really don't need to invest much in advertising when they have a product that will sell until the ivy rots and they lose their liquor license.

By contrast, the White Sox have always had good campaigns, simply because they needed to do all they could to get themselves on the map and sell tickets. Some that come to mind are "Konerko on Chemistry" with Paulie and Shingo. The "years from now, you'll say you were there" campaign the Summer of '90 wasn't bad, either.

However, the best ad campaign the Sox have run thus far involves a Commissioner's Trophy. Can't say that for the boys in blue.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Aug 8, 2006 -> 01:36 AM)
This one's for *Assclown* in *Assclown City*. Do you even know how many Cubs games you've been to? What if I told you 199? *repeat the word epic over and over again when talking about a meaningless game between the Cubs and Cardinals* /Hang one's self

Not really a "Cubs" commercial but Cubs related none the less.

That one makes me sick on a couple of levels. AT&T, put so much stock and spent a ton of money "hyping" this "epic battle" that it didnt make any sense. AT&T is so in love with the Cubs, they even gave them their own link to enter a contest to win flub merchandise. All this for a 5th place team who, were it not for the Pirates, would be the worst in the NL. NICE JOB AT&T. Either AT&T did a horrible job researching who were the good teams in baseball, or they simply cant help themselves.

They make more of a meaningless "rivalry" than what it really is

QUOTE(gosox41 @ Aug 4, 2006 -> 10:34 PM)

Bob

The Chicago Cubs have to be one of the most UNIMAGINATIVE, BLAND, and UNPIONEER-LIKE franchises in all of sports. Just like their fanbase, they are copycat, follow-the-leaders who have the nerve to pretend they are one of the storied and mystical franchises of all time. Someone called 670am to make fun of them a few days ago regarding this, I was going to bring it up, but didnt feel like dealing with the Flak associated when I start threads, but it was a good point. The copy Cubs are BLATANTLY copying the true innovators, the White Sox with these ads. Just one more thing to point out, when your laughing at a Cub fan

The Chicago Cubs have to be one of the most UNIMAGINATIVE, BLAND, and UNPIONEER-LIKE franchises in all of sports. Just like their fanbase, they are copycat, follow-the-leaders who have the nerve to pretend they are one of the storied and mystical franchises of all time. Someone called 670am to make fun of them a few days ago regarding this, I was going to bring it up, but didnt feel like dealing with the Flak associated when I start threads, but it was a good point. The copy Cubs are BLATANTLY copying the true innovators, the White Sox with these ads. Just one more thing to point out, when your laughing at a Cub fan

All franchises copy good ideas off other franchises. The Cubs aren't the only ones to do this, although I doubt you'll acknowledge that reality.

Gee I wonder if the Cubs fans are upset the White Sox put greenery out in CF? Gee I wonder if the Cubs fans are upset that the White Sox are encouraging redevelopment in Bridgeport? Etc. Etc.

Actually I know quite a few Cub fans who are very knowledgeable about baseball, they are good fans even though they root for the Cubs. They laugh at White Sox fans who are Cub obsessed ...

QUOTE(JimH @ Aug 8, 2006 -> 03:57 PM)
All franchises copy good ideas off other franchises. The Cubs aren't the only ones to do this, although I doubt you'll acknowledge that reality.

Gee I wonder if the Cubs fans are upset the White Sox put greenery out in CF? Gee I wonder if the Cubs fans are upset that the White Sox are encouraging redevelopment in Bridgeport? Etc. Etc.

Actually I know quite a few Cub fans who are very knowledgeable about baseball, they are good fans even though they root for the Cubs. They laugh at White Sox fans who are Cub obsessed ...

your being ridiculous (as usual), however, I did hear a Cub fan during the crosstown series claim the SOX copied the Cubs with the greenery, even though numerous other teams in the 1900's did it. Bet you didnt know that. I know quite a few too Jim, your not the only one, and they'll be the first to tell YOU,

they arent the smartes fanbase in sports. They laugh at their own kind.