Look like something sox have worn last few years?

wsox08

I'm going to channel Antiques Road Show for a minute here...

I remember them wearing that for "Turn Back The Clock Day" at Old Comiskey in 1990 which would have put Joe Crede in his pre-teen years. I may be wrong but that's the only time I remember them wearing those since, well, the teens.

Even so, the numbering for that particular repro jersey would be inaccurate. First, that particular jersey would be off-white and navy, not white and black. The numbering employed was rounded, similar to the typeface Interstate Bold, which if you're without a type specimen book to look that up is to the layperson not too far removed from the Cubs' numerals. And correct, there were no nameplates.

Furthermore, manufacturers. Rawlings made all MLB Authentics through at least 1990, maybe '91, whereupon Russell Athletic took over. Authentic merchandise worn by players on the field during this era would have a tag bearing "Diamond Collection," which this doesn't. Merchandise made by Russell and later Majestic in subsequent years--i.e. those that mark Joe Crede's playing days--with this distinction would have a tag with the word "Authentic" set in red script, which this doesn't. "Genuine Merchandise" as the MLB graphic suggests on the tag means that is an officially licensed product, but not one worn on the field.

Buy it if you like the Big-S logo and you like Joe, but not because it's authentic--because it's not. If I were you, I'd pony up some extra cash and get the Cooperstown remake of the '17 Sox jersey sans number or the sleeveless authentic home jersey.