Uphill Battle to 97 wins

cgaudin

The Sox schedule gets pretty tough compared to the Tigers' and Twins. I'm gettin' real nervous about that last series at the Metrodome to close the season. I just hope they have a good lead on the Wild Card by then. I really thought that the Tigers fortunes would be predicated on what they would do the last two weeks of August, since it was hands down the toughest schedule among the playoff contending teams during that two week period. It appears they will have survived with only minor dents and scratches.

With only 39 games left in the season, the Sox need to reach 97 wins to safely reach the playoffs. That means they have to win 24 more against 15 losses to reach that mark. I think it's gonna be tough, given the Sox remaining opponents. The Sox have only 17 home games left, not good. The Sox still have to go on the road to play AL West teams who always give the Sox fits. The Twins, on the other hand, play the AL West teams at Minnesota. The good thing is the Twins have another 22 away games. Hopefully, it works to the Sox's benefit. The big problem is Detroit. They have 21 of their 39 remaining games at Detroit. Also, they will play only 10 more games against teams that have winning records. The chance the Sox catch the Tigers looks quite remote if the Sox don't take at least 3 games AT DETROIT.

The Sox have to turn on the jets NOW. This so-called "run" we've been waiting for all year has to manifest beginning tomorrow. If the team plays .500 ball they will be certain to miss the playoffs by one or two games. Ozzie needs to pull out a voodo doll out his butt or something, 'cause his players are not responding. The time is NOW, gentlemen.....NOW!

From here on out, we MUST win every series. Starting tommorow in Detroit, we need to win 3 of 4. Honestly the only AL team that scares me right now is Minnesota. And the good thing is, they are still trailing us by 1 game. I truly believe it will be easier to catch the Tigers than to maintain a lead over the Twins (Pirahnas). So if we can creep our way back to the top of the division, I can see both the Twins and White Sox making the playoffs. Thoughts?

QUOTE(GreatScott82 @ Aug 20, 2006 -> 08:58 PM)
From here on out, we MUST win every series. Starting tommorow in Detroit, we need to win 3 of 4. Honestly the only AL team that scares me right now is Minnesota. And the good thing is, they are still trailing us by 1 game. I truly believe it will be easier to catch the Tigers than to maintain a lead over the Twins (Pirahnas). So if we can creep our way back to the top of the division, I can see both the Twins and White Sox making the playoffs. Thoughts?

If the tigers do indeed keep slumping, that is indeed a very realistic possibility

QUOTE(GreatScott82 @ Aug 20, 2006 -> 07:58 PM)

I think the Twins have much better pitching than the Sox. If they hit consistently, I'm sorry to say that they will likely overtake us. That bullpen of theirs is lights out. I hope Liriano doesn't come back till next season, or we're in trouble. Remember, our last 3 games are at Minnesota.

QUOTE(cgaudin @ Aug 21, 2006 -> 05:01 PM)
I think the Twins have much better pitching than the Sox. If they hit consistently, I'm sorry to say that they will likely overtake us. That bullpen of theirs is lights out. I hope Liriano doesn't come back till next season, or we're in trouble. Remember, our last 3 games are at Minnesota.

dont remind me! This is why it is really important to beat the Tigers and catch them because the Twins have our number. If the Central is unreachable and the Tigers have it by that final weekend and we are tied for the wildcard with the Twins going into that series, I dont like our chances of reaching the playoffs. So yeah the Twins scare me.

QUOTE(GreatScott82 @ Aug 21, 2006 -> 03:23 PM)
dont remind me! This is why it is really important to beat the Tigers and catch them because the Twins have our number. If the Central is unreachable and the Tigers have it by that final weekend and we are tied for the wildcard with the Twins going into that series, I dont like our chances of reaching the playoffs. So yeah the Twins scare me.

Our last 3 games last season were with the Indians.

Ah, happy memories. :D

QUOTE(cgaudin @ Aug 21, 2006 -> 12:01 PM)

They don't have "much" better pitching. They've got Santana and Radke as far as the rotation goes. If we can just get 3 of our 5 guys going, I still like our pitching over theirs. I like their bullpen over ours. But that's only because Neal Cotts has become Damaso Marte. As far as Liriano goes, even if he comes back, nobody has any idea of how good he'll be. If he comes back and pitches like he was earlier in the season, then we're in trouble.

QUOTE(TLAK @ Aug 21, 2006 -> 05:38 AM)
Updated SOS:

Looks like NY has smooth sailing from here on out! The East is decided. Now it's a race among Us, the Twinkies, and Kitties. Honestly, I want the White Sox to make it so they can beat the stuffing out of those smug, overpaid Skanks, and shove it right up ESPN's brownosing Baseball Tonight crew's asses. I'm just sorry we couldn't rub their noses in it last year. If we get the Wild Card, we'll get our chance, since the Kitties will likely play Oakland.

Edited by cgaudin