KR going after Colon?

Jjav829

This would be amazing. Mario's workin on getting the SN Report up right now.

Man oh Man, I hope we can pull this off and not give up any of our really top players.

In all honesty I wouldn't mind seeing us give up Ginter, Hummell and one pitcher of their choice not including Honel or Rauch. I kind of wonder if Borchard or Caballo or Rowand could be part of this deal though.

I mean Colon is a premiere pitcher so it will cost something to get him.

Originally posted by Murcielago

I hope this is more than just a rumor..... because if we got Colon like I have been saying we should........ we'd be Money.... f***ing money..... I might buy season tickets.

I'll be happy when/if we sign him. I don't get all misty-eyed and dreamy thinking about the prospects anymore because JR has shoved it up our ass so many times. I'll get excited when/if Colon performs well IF he's signed by the White Sox. Remember David Wells? That fat f*** had one good game in a Sox uniform..... Opening Day 2001 against Cleveland. If you ask me, this is nothing but a ploy to get Sox fans thinking that KW is trying to do something through the media. :mad:

sorry, not to get on you again, but how many ploys has KW pulled?

if anything, KW doesn't say anything. both the Wells and Ritchie deals came out left field, from our standpoint.

also, a rumor is a rumor. that is what message boards are for. talking about rumors and wondering what will be given up and what will be the result of it.

personally, if KW says he's gonna go after someone, I believe him (of course what he gives up is a question on its own) but I don't think any of us could complain that this is another ploy. ploys occurred daily during the Schueler era.

you guys seem to forgot how CLOSE we were to SOO many deals and signings. if you ask me, we were fooled more and screwed more during Schuelers era than KW's. although Schueler was a great evaluater, he never had the balls to pull off big deals or big signings.

the only thing he did was Belle, and that only happened by request of Reinsdorf.

can't argue againt you on Reinsdorf though.

First, I thought there were a lot of rumors going around about Ritchie being dealt to the Sox for a while, but maybe I remember incorrectly.

Second, the Expos are going to want a TON for Colon, and while I have no problem with KW selling the farm to get him; he'd better make sure he can resign him next year when he's a free agent before he deals a couple of top-notch prospects.

But if he could pull this off, I might dance a jig.

Originally posted by Molto

sorry, not to get on you again, but how many ploys has KW pulled? 

if anything, KW doesn't say anything.  both the Wells and Ritchie deals came out left field, from our standpoint. 

also, a rumor is a rumor.  that is what message boards are for.  talking about rumors and wondering what will be given up and what will be the result of it. 

personally, if KW says he's gonna go after someone, I believe him (of course what he gives up is a question on its own) but I don't think any of us could complain that this is another ploy.  ploys occurred daily during the Schueler era.

you guys seem to forgot how CLOSE we were to SOO many deals and signings.  if you ask me, we were fooled more and screwed more during Schuelers era than KW's.  although Schueler was a great evaluater, he never had the balls to pull off big deals or big signings.

the only thing he did was Belle, and that only happened by request of Reinsdorf. 

can't argue againt you on Reinsdorf though.

You took that wrong Molto..... or maybe I wrote it so that everyone thought I meant KW was pulling a ploy. What I meant to say was that this Organization, helmed by JR, has said so many times that they are going to "test the FA waters" or "shop so-and-so in a trade attempt" or "seriously try to convince so-and-so to play on Chicago's Southside" that I no longer believe anything that's reported about Chicago White Sox "deals in the making." And remember, KW said right after the Sox season ended, to not expect any major signings or pick-ups in the offseason.

I think that we must resign him for about 5 years at say 10 mill a year and call it at that. If we are lucky we could get him at 8 mill a year, but I doubt it.

As far as KW goes, the one thing you can't deny is he isn't afraid to make the big moves.

Yes, Doublem is right Ritchie had been mentioned for about a week prior to the move being made but thats cause he was mentioned with Brian Giles. Remember we also pulled Boomer and then we had Erstad so KW isn't afraid to make the move to bring the star guy in. The one thing you can worry about is what he gives up.

well, you are right in that regard Cubkilla.

I just don't think any sox fan should look at KW as guy who pulls people legs. if he says he is looking at someone, he certaintly will go after that person.

of course, let us not forget that Williams hasn't mentioned any of this. strictly rumors. all KW has said is that he wants to get a power pitcher or a left-hander.

doublem, you are right. the key isn't who we give up, but if we sign him. I think it is clear we aren't a WS contender, with or without Colon. if we plan on picking up Colon and standing pat, then we MUST sign him. in 2004 or 2005, with guys like Garland, Rauch, Crede, Borchard, Jimenez, Olivo...etc developing, we could be in very good shape, but if we are only getting him for one year and are gonna give up plenty for him, they better go out and sign a Moyer or someone like that, to go with a left handed bat like Finley.

with those moves, I consider us contenders for the world serious, but getting colon, standing pat, and offering no contract won't get us there. then again, look what happened to the Angels.

here is a question for sox fans.

would you rather have the Sox go all out, sign big name talented players and go for it all in 2003 (legitlly go for it all as in being a favorite) and risk many years of failure after that. or would you prefer to stick to their guns and keep the team we have now in tact and have a contending/competing team for the next 5 or so years?

Guest hotsoxchick1

molto thats all kw does is pull peoples legs..... i mean really where have you been the past couple of seasons? kw is not going to seriously persue colon for a number of reasons ... and one of them being he will cost way too much... if he pulls another bone headed trade like he did when he gave up half the farm for ritchie he will be cruisified not only in the media but by the fans as well.......this is going to be a shoulda, coulda, woulda on kw's part.... its a definate ploy to take attention away from the issue at hand and thats the frank thomas dealings..... which he has not answered to honestly since the whole thing began........

HSC, I've respected your opinion and knowledge, but what you said was way off.

KW pulls peoples leg?

how many guys has KW brought up to the media and hasn't pursued?

when reported asked KW a year or so again who he will pursue, KW said it straight up and honest, I can't spend $1.00 if I only have .50 cents, referring to JR's pockets. so nobody should question whether KW is pulling people's leg.

second, KW DID NOT SAY THIS. it is a RUMOR.

third, KW has gone after what he says he's needed. when we needed a veteran catcher, he went after Alomar. now although it wasn't the best acquistion, he didn't go out and say he was gonna I-Rod, he said he was looking into Alomar. when we needed a shortstop who knew how to catch a ball and throw it properly, he went out and got Clayton. the name being thrown around was A-Rod, but 25 mil a year is too much for anyone.

after 2000 we needed an ACE. the media and fans alike were saying how the Sox needed a charecter, a leader. he went out and signed Wells. I was upset at the move cause we gave away Sirotka who I was a big fan of, BUT it was move that put us in contention. just so happens it didn't pan out.

last year, after trying to get Erstad, he went out and signed Lofton. a center fielder who can bat leadoff, putting Durham in the 2-hole. it was a GREAT move at the time.

and FINALLY, we didn't give up half the farm for Ritchie, WHY CAN'T ANYONE UNDERSTAND THIS. we gave up a long reliever in Lowe, a guy in Wells who never lived up to expectations and was criticized by MANY fans. And Josh Fogg (someone I liked), who was never a top prospect and wasn't even known to some sox fans until he was dealt and had a good first half with the Pirates.

so don't go and say we gave up half the farm for Ritchie.

I don't know I bother saying this, nobody will understand or agree, but I just have to get my point across hoping SOMEONE will be able to look at things from anotehr angle.

thank you ian.

Fogg wasn't considered a top prospect with us or any other team. that was the guy I hated to give up, but he wasn't this top prospect, and neither was Wells. prospects are guys in the minors or in their first year in the majors with loads of potential. Wells was decent for a few years and Fogg was never touted.

I don't consider a guy a prospect, let alone top prospect, after 3+ years of MLB service.

Wells was a prospect who never panned out. Now granted, the Sox did rush him and he wasn't handled properly in the early going, but he became a really baby and couldn't throw a strike for his life.

Originally posted by hotsoxchick1

molto thats all kw does is pull peoples legs..... i mean really where have you been the past couple of seasons? kw is not going to seriously persue colon for a number of reasons ... and one of them being he will cost way too much... if he pulls another bone headed trade like he did when he gave up half the farm for ritchie he will be cruisified not only in the media but by the fans as well.......this is going to be a shoulda, coulda, woulda on kw's part.... its a definate ploy to take attention away from the issue at hand and thats the frank thomas dealings..... which he has not answered to  honestly since the whole thing began........

Did he pull peoples legs with Boomer Wells and his big contract? No

Did he pull peoples legs when he went after Erstad? No, he acquired him for a couple minutes

Did he pull peoples legs when he went after Giles? No, the fact was Giles nixed the deal although it wasn't a done deal when it was nixed, he simply said no to Chicago.

I think the one thing I have learned is that KW isn't afraid to make the trade. Whether it pans out or not is another story, but he isn't afraid to do it and he's never once pulled my leg.

Ian and Mario are on the money with this one.

I happened to like Fogg and Wells but I realized the deal was made for Wells a guy almost everyone who posted here back then had given up and I remember so many people saying how happy they were to see him go and how great ritchie was going to be.

I remember Baggs and I were the two big sceptics because first off I liked Wells and secondly I didn't know a damn thing about Ritchie other then what people who were for the trade told me.

Still, looking back it isn't near as bad of a deal as everyone says.

Imo, Wells will be the only guy to amount to anything and I don't see him turning into a star, but he probably will be a good #3 most of his career.

Fogg, he's nothing special and is a 5th starter on a bad team. If he was with the Sox last year, he would of never found a spot in the rotation.

As far as Lowe goes, look at what he did last year, nothing. He was a nobody reliever he happened to do good when he was with the Sox, but wasn't really thought of by anyone.

All in all Ritchie failed, but the trade wasn't as horrible as everyone says. We didn't give up Garland, Borchard or any or our true top prospects. Kip at the time was teedering on even being considered a top prospect.

Guest hotsoxchick1

kw also said time and time again he wants to put a winning team on the field..... well its been two years now where is it???? and if you keep looking ahead you will see the prospects he keeps trading for come up and go to other teams as soon as they get good and want more money.... face it we are the farm system for all of mlb.... we will never have a winning team on the field with kenny and his stupid thoughts at the controls.......sure he aint afraid of trading but you get what you pay for.... and so far hes been paying out the ass, but getting nothing in return because he doesnt know how to..........kw is pulling your leg when he wants you to believe that he seriously wants a winning team on the field.. if he actually did then he would do as someone suggested.. go balls to the wall, get the good players and give us at least one good year with a championship under our belts before we all die..............i would be happy with that... we end our losing streak, we get a world series and we all get to see it first hand..... he would go down as the one who did it... hell havent you all had enough of rebuilding to make you vomit? i know i have.. how many years does it finally take before we have a set plan in motion and run with it... kenny is having tryouts and nothing more... lets see if this works... nope, ok then lets try this.... if he had a set plan like he SAYS he does then he would have been building on it from the begining of his regin.... instead he doesnt have a set plan and is currently flying by the seat of his pants.........:**** kenny williams and his stupid ideas... either s*** or get off the pot... bring us a winning team or get the hell out of dodge and give us someone who will.............enough is enough.............