Too Early for the 2006 Sox Obit?

beck72

I haven't posted much around here. From viewing other posts, and reading who is saying what, I know I'm not alone. Most threads are rehashing the same refrain, from the same people--the 2006 sox suck and are an embarassment. I'm disappointed too that the Sox haven't played up to their promise. Yet they are giving effort, playing respectable ball [21 games over .500], and by all accounts not packing it in. Things could be much worse.

But I'm not ready to write the obituary on the 2006 sox just yet. If the sox don't turn it around these next 15 games, there will be plenty of time in the offseason to do just that. And people around here can plan and debate how to improve the 2007 to get back to the world series.

Few teams are playing for anything right now. The sox are. I for one am enjoying the race. I wish I was enjoying it more, as there have been more downs than ups.

I'm not one to give advice. If people want to say the same things over and over, it's their freedom and right to say whatever they want. I just know the vocal few don't always express what the many think and feel. And I'd like nothing more than a nice run to bring out some of the posters who've been quiet for awhile.

:gosox1:

Anything can happen still, but the next 5 games are absolutely crucial.

You'd think we'd have to win 3 or 4 MINIMUM to have any sort of chance of picking up a playoff birth.

And last night was just very disappointing for me since we had the favorable pitching matchup. The heart of the order just didn't get the job done at all.

But in no way have I given up hope at all. :)

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Sep 16, 2006 -> 01:31 PM)
Anything can happen still, but the next 5 games are absolutely crucial.

You'd think we'd have to win 3 or 4 MINIMUM to have any sort of chance of picking up a playoff birth.

And last night was just very disappointing for me since we had the favorable pitching matchup. The heart of the order just didn't get the job done at all.

But in no way have I given up hope at all. :)

Coming into Oak, IMO, the sox had to win at least 2 of 3. They still have a shot at it. But they have to get the pitching and offense.

I think winning the division is going to take a miracle now. Detroit is going to get very healthy playing KC 6 times. Minnesota can be had, but the Sox have lost way too many games recently they just as easily could have and should have won to make me think that anything is really going to change these last 2 weeks. I hope they make it, but there I think they may have let too many opportunities slip by for that to happen. Everyone including myself is waiting for the hotstreak. It appears we may have to wait until 2007 for that to happen. It may help to actually have someone useful at the top of the line-up.

I haven't posted much around here. From viewing other posts, and reading who is saying what, I know I'm not alone. Most threads are rehashing the same refrain, from the same people--the 2006 sox suck and are an embarassment. I'm disappointed too that the Sox haven't played up to their promise. Yet they are giving effort, playing respectable ball [21 games over .500], and by all accounts not packing it in. Things could be much worse.

First, they aren't playing "respectable ball" since the ASB. They played well in the first half. That's how they got to be 20 games over .500. They are under .500 since the ASB. Those of us who think the Sox won't make the playoffs are basing that on how the team is playing and has been playing for the last two months. I don't expect that to suddenly change, but I sure hope it does.

Second, they may not be "packing it in" but they sure as hell aren't playing with fire and intensity game in and game out. I want this team to fight like it is fighting for its very life, and I'm just not seeing that. Too often I see a lacadaisical effort, followed by a loss, a shoulder shrug and, "oh well, we'll get 'em tomorrow." Pretty soon, there won't be a tomorrow.

QUOTE(SoxHawk1980 @ Sep 16, 2006 -> 03:13 PM)
First, they aren't playing "respectable ball" since the ASB. They played well in the first half. That's how they got to be 20 games over .500. They are under .500 since the ASB. Those of us who think the Sox won't make the playoffs are basing that on how the team is playing and has been playing for the last two months. I don't expect that to suddenly change, but I sure hope it does.

Second, they may not be "packing it in" but they sure as hell aren't playing with fire and intensity game in and game out. I want this team to fight like it is fighting for its very life, and I'm just not seeing that. Too often I see a lacadaisical effort, followed by a loss, a shoulder shrug and, "oh well, we'll get 'em tomorrow." Pretty soon, there won't be a tomorrow.

The sox are losing ball games. But it doesn't mean they aren't giving effort or trying hard to win games. The Sox roster is filled with ball players who throughout their careers are team first guys. They may not get it done. But it doesn't mean KW should go out and completely clean house if they do. Some changes will be coming win or lose. Yet any time a team is 20 games over .500 [for the year--I know what they have done since the ASB], I'd call that respectable. It may not be enough to make the playoffs. But IMO, it's nothing for Sox fans to be embarassed about. Disappointed, no doubt. Embarassed, not a chance.

I've been a White Sox fan for 43 of my 47 years, went to my first Sox game in 1964. That's a lot of seasons of ups and downs, close calls and cellar dwellers. We should all consider ourselves very lucky, especially all of you youngsters, that the Sox brought us and the City of Chicago a World Championship last year, something i thought would never happen in my lifetime. I for one am very glad i was wrong there. I'm also very depressed to see all of the Sox negativity on this site, we should all be very proud of our Chicago White Sox, thru the good, and the bad, but i know from much experience how frustrating it can be.......

I am disappointed with this season too, i did expect better, but they're still better than those f***ing North Siders, mired in last place in the NL Central, yet still get more respect and more attendance than our beloved Sox......... :fthecubs

Don't give up hope yet, and even if they don't make the playoffs this year, hopefully they'll learn from their mistakes, and changes will be made during the off season, that will have them roaring back in 2007.......

No obituary here, i plan on being a diehard Sox fan for 43 more years......... ;)

Keep the faith, White Sox Nation......... :D

:gosox1: :gosox3: :gosox1: :gosox3: :gosox1:

:cheers

Edited by SoCalSouthSider59

After tomorrow, we have ten games left before going to the dome.

At the end of play last Sunday we trailed the Twins by 1.5, 2 in the loss column. If somehow we can actually win a game in Oakland tomorrow and Byrd outduels Baker in Cleveland, we'll be exactly 2.0 games out. Nothing gained, nothing lost in the loss column.

Did anyone seriously expect them to gain ground during this west coast swing? Go home 3-3 with a taste of victory and handle Detroit and Seattle. Go 8-2 and hope the Twins go 6-4 and we go into the dome tied.

2 of 3 wins it.

And for what it's worth, the absolutely beautiful thing is that the Sox could go 11-0 before reaching the dome. Will they? f*** no!

But they could...

QUOTE(SoCalSouthSider59 @ Sep 17, 2006 -> 03:58 AM)
I've been a White Sox fan for 43 of my 47 years, went to my first Sox game in 1964. That's a lot of seasons of ups and downs, close calls and cellar dwellers. We should all consider ourselves very lucky, especially all of you youngsters, that the Sox brought us and the City of Chicago a World Championship last year, something i thought would never happen in my lifetime. I for one am very glad i was wrong there. I'm also very depressed to see all of the Sox negativity on this site, we should all be very proud of our Chicago White Sox, thru the good, and the bad, but i know from much experience how frustrating it can be.......

I am disappointed with this season too, i did expect better, but they're still better than those f***ing North Siders, mired in last place in the NL Central, yet still get more respect and more attendance than our beloved Sox......... :fthecubs

Don't give up hope yet, and even if they don't make the playoffs this year, hopefully they'll learn from their mistakes, and changes will be made during the off season, that will have them roaring back in 2007.......

No obituary here, i plan on being a diehard Sox fan for 43 more years......... ;)

Keep the faith, White Sox Nation......... :D

:gosox1: :gosox3: :gosox1: :gosox3: :gosox1:

:cheers

Nice post. People have a hard time looking at things from a historical perspective. Viewing the past two seasons from that lens, we sox fans have never had it so good, despite this season's struggles.

QUOTE(The Ginger Kid @ Sep 17, 2006 -> 06:19 AM)
After tomorrow, we have ten games left before going to the dome.

At the end of play last Sunday we trailed the Twins by 1.5, 2 in the loss column. If somehow we can actually win a game in Oakland tomorrow and Byrd outduels Baker in Cleveland, we'll be exactly 2.0 games out. Nothing gained, nothing lost in the loss column.

Did anyone seriously expect them to gain ground during this west coast swing? Go home 3-3 with a taste of victory and handle Detroit and Seattle. Go 8-2 and hope the Twins go 6-4 and we go into the dome tied.

2 of 3 wins it.

And for what it's worth, the absolutely beautiful thing is that the Sox could go 11-0 before reaching the dome. Will they? f*** no!

But they could...

I'm surprised no one has jumped on you about drinking the sox kool aid :D.

I'm of the mind that whatever happens, happens. Hopefully the sox pull it out. If not, there will be months to dissect what went wrong and how to improve the 2007 sox. No use kicking your dog/ cat/ ferret or yelling at your girlfriend/ wife/ kids, getting all Jerry Springer like over something you have no control over.

QUOTE(beck72 @ Sep 17, 2006 -> 06:38 AM)
I'm surprised no one has jumped on you about drinking the sox kool aid :D.

I'm of the mind that whatever happens, happens. Hopefully the sox pull it out. If not, there will be months to dissect what went wrong and how to improve the 2007 sox. No use kicking your dog/ cat/ ferret or yelling at your girlfriend/ wife/ kids, getting all Jerry Springer like over something you have no control over.

I think every post you made in this thread has been spot on. The team is playing as hard as it can, I'd add that Ozzie is trying everything he can try but the wins just haven't been coming. Yesterday's line up and relief rotation was exactly what some of the more vocal critics on this board have been calling for, but it didn't work either. We are in for two more gut wrenching weeks, we all need to keep our perspective and remember that it's just baseball. Baseball is a funny game, things can change fast.

QUOTE(TLAK @ Sep 17, 2006 -> 12:53 PM)
I think every post you made in this thread has been spot on. The team is playing as hard as it can, I'd add that Ozzie is trying everything he can try but the wins just haven't been coming. Yesterday's line up and relief rotation was exactly what some of the more vocal critics on this board have been calling for, but it didn't work either. We are in for two more gut wrenching weeks, we all need to keep our perspective and remember that it's just baseball. Baseball is a funny game, things can change fast.

Thanks. It is just baseball after all.

I'd like to put "gut wrenching" into perspective, though. Gut wrenching to me means the time my daughter had a brain hemorrage and we weren't sure if she'd live. Watching to see if your favorite team can make the playoffs just doesn't seem so life and death through that lens.