Official NHL Thread

Nice, astute pickup by DT.

Here's my lines.....

Samsonov - Lang - Havlat

Ruutu - Toews - Williams

Borque - Perrault - Lapointe

Kane - Sharp - Vrbata (IMO Troy Brouwer should be here, Vrbata may be traded)

• Replies 710
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Strange thing now... I got that off Spector's site about Nylander signs with Edmonton and now its saying Nylander has signed with Washington....Someone needs to make up my mind here.

EDIT: here is why. http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story/?ID=212659&hubname=nhl

CAPITALS SIGN NYLANDER.

THE WASHINGTON CAPITALS HAVE ANNOUNCED THE SIGNING OF CENTRE MICHAEL NYLANDER TO A FOUR-YEAR, $19.5 MILLION.

Edited by EvilJester99

Was at the scrimmage today - Team Kane/Toews won 6-2 IIRC, and they each had 2 goals.

Toews simply amazing again, he's a man among boys out there. Great skating, great vision, great passing. Cannot wait to watch him for 82 games this year. There's really not much more to say about him. Believe the hype is all I'm going to say. And yes, I realize he's playing against prospects out there, but I've seen him play many other times against better competition with the same results.

When he and Kane were out there they dominated puck possession. Kane isn't as small as I'd thought he'd be, he basically looks like Vrbata out there size wise I guess. His skating seemed to be good but not great like Toews, but he sure has some good hands and is surprisingly tough down in the corners and behind the net. Similar to Crosby's ability to keep the puck down low...small guy and all.

Kane's goals were both breakways. One of Toews goal was a sick power wraparound move. It'd be cool to see them on the same line this year.

Also, there had to be 200+ people there which was pretty cool.

Most surprising thing of the day: 2 people were getting Wirtz's autograph as the scrimmage ended.

--------------------------------

Also a nice snippet from Tim Sassone's column at the Daily Herald:

With veterans Lang and Perreault, the Hawks believe it will be easier for Toews to make the adjustment to the NHL from college.

“Now we can put our kids in there and not worry about them,” Tallon said. “Before we would have had some concerns going with our young guys, but now we have those guys to take the heat offensively off them, plus it gives us a lot more options up front.”

Maybe the real truth is that there was no chance of Briere, Gomez, Drury or Ryan Smyth ever coming to Chicago in the first place. That’s what happens when a team hasn’t won for so long.

Perhaps in a few years, if the Hawks grow into a contender, then it will be Tallon picking and choosing through the top-end guys — and those players are going to want to come.

My thoughts exactly.

Edited by IlliniKrush

I went today (Friday). I'll echo the commets about Toews and Kane -- they were the show. Kane wasn't at his best -- he missed a wide open net and also missed his 'shootout' shot -- but he still displayed amazing vision and patience in the offensive zone. He's got this great move where he goes hard to the corner, stops on a dime and makes a great spin move back towards the blueline, giving him time to scan the zone freely for a second or two.

But Toews is just a man among boys. Everytime he went into the corner, he came out with the puck or got it to somebody on his line. He's got a very good shot, particularly displaying an impressive backhand. I recall one just one where the Toews/Kane line played in their defensive zone.

As far as the non 'top' guys, Simon Danis-Pepin, the 6"7 defensman, was very impressive starting a couple of rushes and just exuding a lot of confidence when he had the puck. He challenged forecheckers with the puck and really didn't seem to have any problems skating right around 'em.

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Jul 6, 2007 -> 10:07 PM)
As far as the non 'top' guys, Simon Danis-Pepin, the 6"7 defensman, was very impressive starting a couple of rushes and just exuding a lot of confidence when he had the puck. He challenged forecheckers with the puck and really didn't seem to have any problems skating right around 'em.

Same thing I saw on Thursday, Keith. He seems to have put on some muscle, and he is less "awkward" than he was last year, both with the puck and skating in general. He had some decent puckhandling skills and better passing than last year. If he can combine that type of game with a physical game back in his own ends, he could easily contribute at the NHL level in a few years.

I'm liking Detroit as the home opener.

As far as the out of conference games go, this is what we have this year:

Home:

Atlanta

Tampa Bay

Florida

Carolina

Washington

Away:

Toronto

Boston

Buffalo

Ottawa

Montreal

Some sweet road dates there, 3 O6 teams and then the 2 eastern conference finalists.

The start to this schedule is pretty tough, @ Min, Det, SJ, @ Det, Dal

Edited by IlliniKrush