Official NHL Thread

• Replies 710
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(That funky motion @ Jul 2, 2007 -> 09:19 AM)
http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/news/story?id=2922738

Gomez a Ranger. I still think they sign Nylander also.

The Edmonton Oilers have traded captain Jason Smith and forward Joffrey Lupul to the Philadelphia Flyers for Joni Pitkanen, Geoff Sanderson and a third round draft pick in 2009.

Wow, shows how desperate the Oilers were for a puck moving defenseman, and how much Lupul's and Pitkanen's stock went down over the past season.

Perrault had a fairly nice season for Phoenix didn't he? I think he's capable of being a solid #2 center. With Nylander, he really didn't score many points without Jagr, but if he could create some good chemistry with Havlat as he did with Jaromir, it could certainly be a shrewd signing.

QUOTE(That funky motion @ Jul 1, 2007 -> 07:10 PM)
Straka Gomez Jagr

Shanny Drury Callahan

Avery Cullen Prucha

Hollweg Betts Orr

Rozsival Malik

Staal Girardi

Tyutin Mara

Lundqvist

Montoya

Not bad.

Straka-Gomez-Jagr

Avery-Drury-Shanahan

Prucha-Cullen-Callahan

Hollweg-Betts-Hossa/Orr

Malik-Rozsival

Tyutin-Girardi

Staal-Mara

Lundqvist

Valiquette

These are what the lines will be.

Tallon sets deadline for Handzus deal: tonight

http://blackhawks.nhl.com/team/app/?servic...rticleid=326986

Can't say I blame him. We'll see what happens.

Also of note, Keith and I were at prospects camp, however Kane was a no show. Something about him being late after his physical at the UC or something, it's not quite clear yet.

Robert Lang is a Blackhawk, so it looks like Handzus is gone. Kind of a bummer there, but Zus is looking to break the bank with both money and years even after a serious injury + surgery. Lang for two years is okay -- not a long term deal, he's clearly a declining player but hopefully playing with Havlat and Samsonov will give him a bit of a boost.

BTW, I'd imagine the Hawks might be done in free agency with this signing.

So, if it was opening night tomorrow, I'd guess things would look like...

Samsonov - Lang - Havlat

Ruutu - Toews - Kane

Williams - Sharp - Vrbata

Borque - Perrault - ???

Koci

(These aren't exact defensive pairings, just getting the six-seven guys down)

Seabrook - Zyuzin

Keith - Wisniewski

Barker - Vandermeer

Johannson

Edited by CWSGuy406

It also puts Toews to the 2nd line and YP to the 3rd/4th, which I'm all for. Having YP or Toews at #1 just would be too damn ugly to watch all year, and could hurt Toews' growth. 2 years is workable, though i'd like to know the monetary terms. Everyone knows it's a stop gap, but that's fine with this team.

I can live with this, certainly. I wonder if he's still looking to sign a 2nd tier dman with the (presumably) extra money we have left?

Like Keith and I were talking about today, with Lang, YP in the fold, if everything goes according to plan (no huge injuries, Kane/Toews contribute pretty well), you will have a Hawks team that is not only in a rebuilding phase, but will be right there til the end as far as the 7-8 playoff spot is concerned. I'd welcome that after the past few years.

Edited by IlliniKrush

QUOTE(IlliniKrush @ Jul 2, 2007 -> 04:41 PM)
Like Keith and I were talking about today, with Lang, YP in the fold, if everything goes according to plan (no huge injuries, Kane/Toews contribute pretty well), you will have a Hawks team that is not only in a rebuilding phase, but will be right there til the end as far as the 7-8 playoff spot is concerned. I'd welcome that after the past few years.

I guess so.

Too bad we've been conditioned to expect much worse.

QUOTE(The Critic @ Jul 2, 2007 -> 09:58 PM)
I guess so.

Too bad we've been conditioned to expect much worse.

Critic, you probably saw more Detroit games than I did last year -- do you remember who Lang's linemates were last season. And also, your thoughts on the signing?

BTW, they're reporting the deal as two years, eight million which is probably too much money.

Edited by CWSGuy406

QUOTE(IlliniKrush @ Jul 2, 2007 -> 02:36 PM)

I like this move. Lang is a good veteran to have around to help teach all the young offensive players. He also has a history of winning which will hopefully help form a better attitude in Chicago (when it comes to learning how to win and be a winner).

It would be great if they could still get Handus.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Jul 3, 2007 -> 12:17 AM)
It would be great if they could still get Handus.

Nope, although you'll be able to see him just about any time you want -- he just signed a 4/$16 deal with LA, along with Nagy and former Hawk Kyle Calder.

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Jul 2, 2007 -> 06:52 PM)
Critic, you probably saw more Detroit games than I did last year -- do you remember who Lang's linemates were last season. And also, your thoughts on the signing?

BTW, they're reporting the deal as two years, eight million which is probably too much money.

"He played mostly with Samuelsson and Flippula, significantly less talent than Havlat and Sammy or Ruutu."