New images from Mars Orbiter and Rover

FlaSoxxJim

"Today is day 960 of Opportunity's 90-day mission to Mars," said Steve Squyres from Cornell University.

Amazing that the Rovers are still operating and collecting data. The guys who put these together should build my next car. Of course, hopefully it will be able to cover a distance of more than 6 miles in three years.

Spectacular new images of Mars could reveal clues about tens of millions of years of the red planet's history.

NASA has just released photos taken from above the planet by the spacecraft Mars Reconnaissance Orbiter, showing the rover Opportunity perched next to the enormous Victoria Crater. Four or five football stadiums could fit inside the crater.

"We've taken approximately 160,000 photographs from Spirit and Opportunity," said Jim Bell, lead scientist for the rover's panoramic camera. "The images that have come down just this week have instantly vaulted to my top 10 list," he said.

http://www.cnn.com/2006/TECH/space/10/06/v...ages/index.html

QUOTE(FlaSoxxJim @ Oct 7, 2006 -> 07:19 AM)
Amazing that the Rovers are still operating and collecting data. The guys who put these together should build my next car. Of course, hopefully it will be able to cover a distance of more than 6 miles in three years.

You probably don't want to pay millions for your car either :cheers

Spectacular new images of Mars could reveal clues about tens of millions of years of the red planet's history.

lol... maybe it's just me, but we LIVE and BREATHE on planet earth and can't agree on the history of OUR planet. How much good could a few home videos and some snap shots do for our understanding of a planet millions of miles away?

(that being said, I'm sure they'll do a lot of good...lol)

QUOTE(sox4lifeinPA @ Oct 8, 2006 -> 04:58 AM)
lol... maybe it's just me, but we LIVE and BREATHE on planet earth and can't agree on the history of OUR planet. How much good could a few home videos and some snap shots do for our understanding of a planet millions of miles away?

(that being said, I'm sure they'll do a lot of good...lol)

Um, those who actually pay attention seem to agree about a lot of things about our planet's history. It's around 4.5 billion years old, life evolved on it very early, oxygen developed around 2.5 billion years ago, multicellular life after that, hard parts evolved around 550 ma, oceanic crust tends to subduct underneath other crust when it gets older than about 250 million years, 251 million years ago 98% of the genera on earth went extinct, 65 million years ago there was a large impact, etc, and on and on and on.

Mars, we don't even know close to that much.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Oct 8, 2006 -> 02:44 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Um, those who actually pay attention seem to agree about a lot of things about our planet's history. It's around 4.5 billion years old, life evolved on it very early, oxygen developed around 2.5 billion years ago, multicellular life after that, hard parts evolved around 550 ma, oceanic crust tends to subduct underneath other crust when it gets older than about 250 million years, 251 million years ago 98% of the genera on earth went extinct, 65 million years ago there was a large impact, etc, and on and on and on.

Mars, we don't even know close to that much.

Where in the Bible does it say that?

QUOTE(santo=dorf @ Oct 8, 2006 -> 10:54 PM)
Where in the Bible does it say that?

typical soxtalk response. an unhealth deepfried sarcasm sandwhich with no substance whatsoever.

what makes me laugh is that I'm the one saying "I'm not sure because there is so much we don't know but I think I have an idea," while those who share your mentality are so sure of themselves. How pedestrian. So 20th Century.